The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 3, 2002, 11:31 PM   #26
MP Freeman

Ronin,

Wow, what a story!

I guess if you hear a person yelling and ranting behind you, you should get a grip on the situation. Sounds like your friend was deep in condition white at Wally world.
Old October 4, 2002, 09:49 AM   #27
ronin308

MPFreeman- He definitely had his head in his rear. If he would have been paying attention the whole thing would have been avoided.
Old October 4, 2002, 07:30 PM   #28
imadork

I recommend keeping an impact or blade weapon in the trunk of your car so you have relatively quick access. A cheap katana is a nice choice, or maybe a City Stick or a length of chain. Works great on multiple assailants and people armed with only knives. A mega-folding knife is nice to keep on you at all times. Watch the punks back off when they see that hardware on you.
Old October 5, 2002, 08:17 AM   #29
ronin308

imadork- I hatehatehate cheap bladeware...especially cheap swords. Besides, its not very likely that you will be standing right next to your car when you're attacked. Also, if you make the decision to keep a sword, length of chain, 'nucks, or anything like that be prepared to explain it to the judge and jury why you got a cheap United Cutlery katana out of your trunk and started hacking away. I have absolutely nothing against defending yourself with whatever you can but you have to think about the practicality of it. You'll probably be labelled as a nutcase in court.
Old October 5, 2002, 12:12 PM   #30
pbarrick

If you have the time to get your Highlander Special out of the trunk of your car, how much imminent danger could you actually have been facing?

I prefer to keep whatever weapons I might need access to (OC spray, ASP baton, Spyderco Delica and firearm--usually a Glock 19 but sometimes a S&W Model 60) on my person. That way I have direct control over them and they are much more likely to be there when I need them.

As Massad Ayoob once said, "If the facts are in his favor, the prosecuting attorney will argue the facts. If the facts aren't in his favor, he'll attack your character." (That's a rephrasing, actually, but you get the idea.)
Cutting Edge Training Across the U.S.A.
http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com
Toll Free 1.877.636.4677
Old October 5, 2002, 11:38 PM   #31
imadork

Quote:
imadork- I hatehatehate cheap bladeware...especially cheap swords. Besides, its not very likely that you will be standing right next to your car when you're attacked. Also, if you make the decision to keep a sword, length of chain, 'nucks, or anything like that be prepared to explain it to the judge and jury why you got a cheap United Cutlery katana out of your trunk and started hacking away. I have absolutely nothing against defending yourself with whatever you can but you have to think about the practicality of it. You'll probably be labelled as a nutcase in court.
The irony is that having any of those items (except nunchaku and ASP baton) on you is legal in my state (CA). Unfortunately, the laws regarding loaded firearms preclude having an open carried pistol in any public place...and a CityStick is much quicker to deploy and isn't really noticed by the general public. The katana may be a little extreme, but who cares? If someone attacks me with a knife and I respond with a legal weapon, I'm in the clear. I want the Cold Steel model 40" model to replace my United Cutlery model (good call )
Old October 10, 2002, 02:14 PM   #32
justmeandmydr200

In WV, a sword is classified as a primitive weapon and you can carry it openly. www.blackswordarmory.com has combat-grade
Roman swords for sale. Word of advice: Use the OC spray before lethal force if possible. It will look better in court.
In West Virginia, we have the Lisa Bittinger Court decision,
which means that if your life or limb is in danger, you can legally use deadly force without being inside your home.
be shot by those who do not.
"I live back in the woods you see, the cats, dogs, the Xbox,
the 4wheeler, the jetski, the scanner, the .45 automatic, the
AK47 and me!"
The Bible says that the only way to Heaven is thru Jesus Christ.