The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2002, 08:35 PM   #1
sjones

hand held primer?

I got out of loading for awhile and am deciding to get back in. sold most of my stuff,but still have the 3 die turret press. and the green box of shell holders.Will they work for the hand held primer or do I need to buy special shell holders?I will need a set of calipers and a powder scale. I know that. I may just buy the anniversary loading kit and then I will Have everything except the calipers. and get me a new reloading book,probably a speer #13. sj
Old March 29, 2002, 10:37 PM   #2
coonan357

may I ask a question ? what brand are the shell holders since rcbs and lee both make green boxes. if they are rcbs , their handprimer uses the factory holders , there is only one lee unit that you have to buy special holders for . ( don't know the name ) otherwise you can use them on theirs also , I recommend the rcbs one it's more fitting to the hand ,and you get more feelout of it . if you are going to buy lee equipment check out there web site It should answer alot of your own questions . good luck and safe loading

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old March 30, 2002, 02:06 AM   #3
David Wile

Hey folks,

I have both the Lee Autoprime hand tool and the RCBS hand primer. Usually, I would not give Lee products shelf space. In this case, however, I have to admit that I prefer using the Lee tool. With my RCBS, it uses regular shell holders which is a plus for it. The Lee Autoprime uses special shell holders, but you can purchase a whole set of them for about $12. One thing about Lee, their stuff is inexpensive. There is no question that the RCBS is much heavier and stronger made than the Lee unit. After about seven years of use, I broke the lever on my Lee, and I was so ticked off that I decided not to get another. That lasted for a month or so, and then I bought another Lee Autoprime in spite of the fact that it is not as well made as the RCBS. I cannot explain it other than to say that I like working the Lee better than I like working the RCBS. One reason may be because it is easier to change shellholders in the Less than it is with the RCBS. In any case, I do use them both, but I use the Lee more.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old March 30, 2002, 03:43 AM   #4
Chris McDermott

Or you can check out the new APS style hand primer tool from RCBS that doesn't need seperate shell holders - it has a universal fit set of jaws that grab the shell. Mine has done 45/70 cases followed by 32 Mag cases; only having to change the primer ram from large to small. Just fewer things to keep track of as the primer ram not being used fit's into the primer handle.
Old March 30, 2002, 11:40 AM   #5
sjones

all the equipment that I have left is all leeproducts.Also what is the advantage of the 4 die turret versus the three die turret like I have. I had a dillon square deal and sold it because I didn't think I would be loading anymore. What a fool I was.sj