The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2008, 04:25 PM   #1
BerettaBill

I need good recipe for 9mm and 40 S&W.

I am fairly new to reloading and I need a good recipe for 9mm and 40 S&W. I have used *9mm: 147 gr. TMJ with 3.6 g Bullseye
*40S&W: 165 gr. TMJ with 5.0 g Bullseye
I think the Bullseye is a little strong for the 9mm but the 40 S&W load was pretty decent.
Old January 31, 2008, 02:26 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Bullseye was the original powder used by the military for the .45 ACP. It is excellent in its versatility, though it makes more soot that some to the newer powders. In 9 mm it should function fine. If it seem too strong, back the load of two tenths of a grain. See how it does? If that seems to compromise performance, then you need a slower powder in the higher pressure 9mm.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 31, 2008, 03:33 AM   #3
The Tourist

I'm thinking the same thing.

I've come into a bunch of Accurate Arms #2, and I'm going to assemble plinkers in .40 SW, just for rolling beer cans on a Sunday afternoon. I have my first set of loads ready to go for a test firing.

I won't mention the numbers until I fire them, but I assure you that I have never loaded a "firewall" cartridge in 40 years. More to come.
Old January 31, 2008, 11:34 AM   #4
TexasSeaRay

One of my top 9mm loads is 6.1 grains of AA#5 pushing a 115 grain FMJ. I get superb groups with this load, and it operates in all my 9mm firearms including the finicky Glock. It's also extremely clean.

Another favorite load is 4.1 grains of AA#2 pushing a 124 grain LRN.

The probably with the faster powders like Bullsye and AA#2 is getting the sufficient burn to cycle the action. I have had the very occasional stovepipe with this load on my Taurus and Browning Hi-Power. I get more than an occasional stovepipe in the Glock 17. But, it's a cheap round to reload for plinking.

Have never loaded the 40S&W. Have heard, however, some horror stories about folks pushing their loads to +P limits. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old January 31, 2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Sevens

"the finicky Glock"
I hear that about as often as I hear
"that cheap Browning"
"that ugly old worthless Colt"
"that incredibly weak framed Ruger Super Redhawk"

Now I don't have a Glock and I'm not a Glock guy (not a Glock hater, either) but I've never thought of them as finicky pistols.
Old January 31, 2008, 03:19 PM   #6
TexasSeaRay

When we were testing Glocks for the agency I used to be with long time ago, we had the dickens of a time finding ammo we could feed the Glock 19 to where it would feed and cycle without jamming or stovepiping.

I LIKE Glocks. I'm not a disciple nor do I drink their Kool-Aid, but I admire the cutting edge technology they employed, the unquestionable toughness and durability and the simplicity. At the Glock armorer's school I went to, I was floored to learn that there were only 33 parts to the entire gun.

BUT, when it comes to reloads, I've seen more finicky Glocks than I have any other quality brand/manufacturer of semi-auto, with the exception of the Desert Eagle. The old Coonan .357 was extremely finicky.

I knew some Glock shooters I did IPSC with who modified their springs and came up with good (lead) reloads that would function well--but even then, they got some stovepipes. But hell, so did all the raceguns--when you load as light as possible . . .

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old January 31, 2008, 03:55 PM   #7
Foxbat

Gee... I have seven Glocks in different calibers, and load ammo for ALL of them, and so far no single issue - extraction, feeding... just NOTHING.

That includes 9mm, .40, 357 Sig, .45, .45 GAP, 10mm.

As far as particular recipes, this site has quite a few for many calibers, and they are mostly on target.

http://www.reloadammo.com/
Old January 31, 2008, 07:58 PM   #8
BerettaBill

Thanks for the help guys.
Old February 3, 2008, 08:47 AM   #9
FatWhiteMan

I like Power Pistol and HS-6 for both. When producing high volume practice loads, I tend to lean towards loads that are difficult to double-charge.
Old February 3, 2008, 09:19 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

tested excellence

I am going to second Alliant Power Pistol as a one-powder choice for both 9x19 and 40 S&W.

I have and use many powders, but this one makes sense.
Old February 9, 2008, 09:26 AM   #11
BHP9

9mm:

147gr CMJ over 3.9gr/Unique. PF = 137.72. This is my Glock 17 and BHP load.

.40 S&W:

180gr CMJ over 4.7gr TiteGroup. PF = 177.6. This is my STI load.
Old March 3, 2008, 11:29 AM   #12
acefreely

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSeaRay
When we were testing Glocks for the agency I used to be with long time ago, we had the dickens of a time finding ammo we could feed the Glock 19 to where it would feed and cycle without jamming or stovepiping.
BS I signed up just to squash this BS. I am NOT a glock guy, I prefer XDs to glocks but this is a load of crap. Show me a G19 that will not feed ANY factory ammo reliably and I'll believe it. Fact is there is NO such thing. A glock will eat ANY factory ammo reliably, probably more so than any other pistol.

Last edited by acefreely; March 3, 2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: found this on a google search for 9mm bullseye loads
Old March 3, 2008, 04:09 PM   #13
JDG

I like Power Pistol for 9 & 40. The starting loads are usually most accurate(YMMV)
Old March 3, 2008, 05:00 PM   #14
Walkalong

I like WSF or AA #5 for 9MM, and they will work in .40, but I like Universal Clays in .40. I am not going for max velocities in either. Power Pistol should do better for that if you are looking for top loads.
Old March 3, 2008, 05:10 PM   #15
Oz_Shadow

Does anyone use Longshot for both 9mm and 40 ?

I picked up some with this intention in mind. All I ever hear about it is for the 40 maxed out, but that is not my interest.

9mm 124gr FMJ out of a Sig 239
40S&W 180gr or 165gr FMJ out of a Sig 229

My thoughts were that it would be good due to the low pressure. I am just starting out. I do not intend to max out the ammo but keep it on the loads on the lower side. I want it to be very accurate and feel good for target shooting.

Thoughts from those who have used it ?
Old March 3, 2008, 06:12 PM   #16
Shoney

See attachment in

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=269712
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 3, 2008, 09:48 PM   #17
DWARREN123

For 40 S&W in a 165 gr bullet I like 7.3 gr of Longshot. I do like my bullets to be JHP's.
Old March 5, 2008, 07:45 PM   #18
Redneck with a 40

40 S&W = 6 grains of Unique behind a 165 grain Ranier plated, chrono's 980 fps from my XD, soft recoil, accurate, good load. Unique is a very good powder for the 40, I would argue better than Power Pistol, same or more velocity with less charge weight, more rounds/pound.