The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 15, 2012, 01:31 PM   #26
willyd

LC9 substitute

I have the LC9 which is great but the Sig P238 is better.......
Old October 15, 2012, 07:01 PM   #27
FYN409

I was just considering the guns you mentioned as well and ended up with the PPS. Very happy with it thus far. The LC9 was what had me looking at the compact 9mm's but after read a number of issues with light primer strikes I decided to look elsewhere. With that said I am not bashing Ruger, I have an SR9c that I love.

-Ryan
Old October 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #28
Pisa

Shield all the way...I love mine! It might just be the ultimate concealed carry 9. IMO.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:29 PM   #29
Justice06RR

Another vote for the Shield. I don't see how the PPS can be better. Its all preference IMO. The M&P line has a very good reputation.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:24 AM   #30
Skans

Maybe they will come up with a Shield-2, which will be slightly smaller in dimension than the Ruger LC9. I'll clap my hands and open my wallet if/when that happens.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:54 AM   #31
ScotchMan

Quote:
Another vote for the Shield. I don't see how the PPS can be better. Its all preference IMO. The M&P line has a very good reputation.
Different ergonomics, European-style mag release, two backstrap options, three magazine size choices, striker indicator (for riding into holster and not shooting self), no manual safety.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old October 16, 2012, 02:27 PM   #32
ShipWreck

Quote:
Different ergonomics, European-style mag release, two backstrap options, three magazine size choices, striker indicator (for riding into holster and not shooting self), no manual safety.
Its still personal preference. I don't like the feel of the PPS in my hand compared with the shield. Neither is "better" - just better for individual people, depending on the person
Old October 16, 2012, 06:03 PM   #33
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
Its still personal preference. I don't like the feel of the PPS in my hand compared with the shield. Neither is "better" - just better for individual people, depending on the person
I agree. I think they both have been proven with decent round counts by now. None of the persistent reliability grumbles like with the Springfield XDS
Old October 17, 2012, 09:36 AM   #34
BrittB

I'll stick with my LC9. This works fine and the trigger pull smoothed out after a while too. Quite happy and it works everytime!
Old October 17, 2012, 04:53 PM   #35
pete2

I have an LC9, a friend has Shield. For shooting it's the Shield hands down, much better trigger than the LC9. For carry it's the LC9, lighter and a tad smaller. I'd buy the LC9 again instead of the Shield, I bought it to carry, the trigger will not suit everyone. I shoot it better than the 642 revolver that I also carry sometime.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:09 PM   #36
ScotchMan

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed. But the question was how it "could" be better. The reasons I quoted are some of why many prefer it.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old October 18, 2012, 10:45 PM   #37
Sturmgewehre

I've owned and tested the LC9 extensively and I own the Shield.

The double action trigger on the LC9 is horrible, IMHO. I was initially excited about the LC9 but after shooting it and carrying it for some time I came to realize it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. It was so bad it tainted my view of the Shield when I first held it at the NRA show.

I picked one up anyway and very quickly realized the Shield was everything I had hoped the LC9 would be. The Shield is current the best in class and is the one to beat.

I think Springfield can challenge the Shield when they release the XD-S in 9mm.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:14 AM   #38
coolbreezy

i held one of these at the lgs, had no idea that it was the same "shield" that everyone has been raving about. sweet looking 9, though.
S&W highway patrolman 28-2/ Springfield mil spec 1911 (semi custom)/ Sig P220 match elite .45 acp/Kimber micro 9 stainless/ Remington 870 tac14/ Taurus pt22/ S&W 629-1 3" .44 mag/ S&W 629 PC V-Comp/ Beretta M9/ Stevens/Savage 311A 12 ga double bbl/ Magnum research Desert Eagle XIX .44 mag/ S&W 460 xvr/ Glock g40 10mm longslide/ H&K usp compact .45 acp/ Ruger SuperBlackhawk Lipsey Edition/ S&W 686+ 3-5-7 talo edition
Old October 19, 2012, 05:47 PM   #39
ScotchMan

Quote:
I've owned and tested the LC9 extensively and I own the Shield.

The double action trigger on the LC9 is horrible, IMHO. I was initially excited about the LC9 but after shooting it and carrying it for some time I came to realize it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. It was so bad it tainted my view of the Shield when I first held it at the NRA show.

I picked one up anyway and very quickly realized the Shield was everything I had hoped the LC9 would be. The Shield is current the best in class and is the one to beat.

I'm curious if you've fired the PPS. I watch your videos and am a big fan. I'm surprised since you covered the Shield and the XDs so thoroughly, you have never addressed the PPS.

I don't think the PPS is necessarily better than the Shield, but it does have some features the Shield lacks, and is definitely something every Shield buyer should at least be considering.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old October 19, 2012, 06:03 PM   #40
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I think it may surpass the Shield if they keep it sans external thumb safety.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:08 PM   #41
pete2

In a pocket the LC9 fits better. It's just a little bit smaller, smoother and lighter than the Shield. I haven't tried the PPS but it's about the same as the Shield.
No safety on the PPS. I'll keep the LC9 for the time being. Too bad S&W didn't make it a tad smaller than the LC9, trigger is much better than the LC9. I don't have a big problem with the Ruger trigger, I shoot better rapid fire with it than I do with a 642 revolver.
Old October 26, 2012, 05:35 PM   #42
Cheapshooter

minus the CM9 or Shield.

Do you have a reason other than availability to exclude the KAHR CM9?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 26, 2012, 08:26 PM   #43
afone1

I
Quote:
If you like the Shield, check out the Bersa BP9cc. . $350 delivered, same size as the Shield, sweet trigger with short reset, comes with two mags, etc.
I'm really happy with mine.
I'm with you Schniitzer, on the Bersa BP9cc. This is an excellent quality weapon, and has a fantastic trigger. At $374 (Academy Sports) you can't beat it. I guarantee it is as good, if not better than anything else in it's class. Unless you have money to burn, this gun cannot be beat.

Old October 28, 2012, 12:26 AM   #44
kinoons

I too will keep my PPS. It was my first pistol I bought, and while I've purchased others, I always carry my PPS.