The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 26, 2006, 09:33 PM   #1
boobooboo

mossberg firing problem

About every 5th shot or so does not fire, the cap is dented the same as all the ones that did fire. I have tried several kinds of shells but it does not change the result. This has been a problem since this gun was new and K-mart would not help me resolve the problem so it has just sat in the gun cabinet for ten years . If there is any thing I can do to fix it I will do it Thanks. Mossberg 500

Last edited by boobooboo; November 27, 2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old November 27, 2006, 06:24 AM   #2
CALNRA

a little more info please.

do you mean it doesn't fire at all now? or just doesn't fire after 5 rounds in each loading of the tube? sounds like a rare firepin problem. Did you take it apart and see if anything is blocking the firing pin
Old November 27, 2006, 09:50 AM   #3
Ruger4570

Blasting Cap ???? Is this a new word for Primer ??
Old November 27, 2006, 10:47 AM   #4
boobooboo

mossberg firing problem

its only fires some of the time now it has done it since the day it was purchased brand new
Old November 28, 2006, 01:09 PM   #5
djturnz

Well it should have a lifetime warranty from mossberg, so call them.

Or sell it to me cheap.
Old November 29, 2006, 06:08 AM   #6
CALNRA

ditto, call Mossberg.

BTW there is a diassembly video on Life, Liberty, Etc website, download it, watch it and take you gun apart(don't worry, they tell you how to put it back together too". It sounds like the Firepin is not impacting correctly, and either something is hindering hte movement of the firepin, or the pin its self needs replacement.

either way call them and get it done, better to have a functioning gun than a decoration.
Old November 29, 2006, 06:22 AM   #7
jeager106

You see why I own two M-500s? Simply because a used 500 is one of the best bargains on the used market. The resale sucks. Probably why boobooboo has kept is non fucntioning one. You can't get squat out of one that works and nothing out of one thats broke. :>)
The two I have are both 12s, one plain fixed, mod. the other had a 24" rifle sight smooth bore and 28" v.r. with tubes.
$100 for the plain jane and $125 for the two barrel job.
I use mine a test beds for developing slug loads. If I break one I'm out little.
One is my night stalker. It's the 28", sports turkey full, and wears red spot light gear for calling night preditors.
I'f it falls from a tree stand, gets dropped in the mud, it's a $125 utility gun not a big loss.
I would suggest you go to ebay and buy a new bolt, firing pin, associated springs and replace all that. I bought an extra plain bbl, fixed choke from ebay for 28 bucks. Cut it off and made a cyl. bore brush barrel for rabbits.
There are tons of Mossy parts on ebay dirt cheap.