The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2001, 09:36 PM   #1
mvdemarco

9 pellet vs 12 pellet recoil

Do the 12ga. 12 pellet loads ALWAYS have more recoil than 9 pellet loads? As far as 12 pellet loads go, I've only tried the Remington OO buck Magnum and it DID have a noticeable difference in recoil and report! I am looking at purchasing a case of Federal O buck 12 pellet ammo online and I'm kind of wondering if this ammo performs in the same manner. Advice from all veteran shotgunners would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike
Old July 10, 2001, 04:14 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

0 buck is smaller than 00,Mike, thus the pellets weigh less apiece.

12 pellet 00 is a real kicker in most shotguns.
And, I doubt there's much that it will do that the 9 pellet load will not. All that comes to mind is building a flinch and going through anti- inflammatories and money faster.Unless your neighborhood has a severe Velociraptor infestation, nothing shot by you will be able to tell if it was a 9 pellet or 12 pellet load.

Since each shotgun patterns different loads well and poorly, i suggest getting some 5 packs and doing a bit of patterning with same. Go with the smallest patterning one that has a tolerable level of kick.

Hate to sound like a broken record about this, but Estate Ammo's SWAT 00 gives good, tight patterns and has a little less recoil. Bonus, it's cheap...

Last edited by Dave McC; July 10, 2001 at 08:39 AM.
Old July 10, 2001, 06:49 AM   #3
mvdemarco

Thanks Dave, I'll try alittle of both.
Old July 10, 2001, 08:30 AM   #4
LIProgun

Not surprisingly, I agree with Dave that the 12-pellet 00 rounds are hard on the shoulder.

As sort of a variation on a theme, I'll just toss out to the group that I unexpectedly wound up with a few 25-round boxes of Remington's Reduced Recoil 8-pellet 00 Buck load. I thought I was getting the 9-pellet load from Georgia Arms, but wound up with the 8-pellet load (not that it really matters to me). Any comments from those with experience with 8-pellet 00 loads on how they compare to 9-pellet reduced recoil loads? I can't imgagine there's that much of a difference.

Note to wiseguys: I know the difference is "one pellet."

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old July 10, 2001, 08:46 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

We may be picking nits here. Close range shotgun wounds, I'm told, differ little, regardless of whether it's a buck load or 8s. I doubt there's any more than theoretical differences here. This 8 pellet load more than equals a typical 20 ga load, still quite effective. Deer I've shot with 20 ga slugs wouldn't have gone down any faster with a 12.

My suggestion, try some and see.