The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 4, 2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Rikakiah

Sling review, magpul & vtac

I got a magpul ms3 for my .22 HK416 and then an ms4 for my DDM4 as it already had a QD mount in the receiver plate (getting a QD for the 416 clone was proving difficult, but that's for another review).

Anyway, I love the construction of the magpul webbing and the hardware on the ms4. The ms3 has the same webbing, but the slide buckles (is that what they're called?) seemed a bit cheaper.

However, I couldn't tighten the straps to save my life. I could make some adjustment on the ms3, but the ms4 wouldn't budge at all unless I grabbed the strap with my other hand (very cumbersome). I ended up reversing the ms3 which negated the ability to go to a 1-point configuration, but allowed me to adjust it easier. I could now tighten it from in front of my chest, with both hands, while the rifle was slung muzzle up across my back-which is the most likely way I'd carry it generally. To shoulder it, I'd then use my right hand to loosen (smooth as butter) while my left pulled the buttstock forward across my waist, then my right would pick up the pistol grip and I'd finish the transition to a firing position.

However, I didn't want to do this with the M4. Largely because I got the QD version to give me the option for a fast 1-point option, and because I'll probably use this one most, so wanted it to be as configurable as possible.

Enter the VTAC. I took the front QD mount and the back section (QD mount and short webbing section attached to the QD socket for 1-point configuration) of the ms4 and attached them to the appropriate ends of the VTAC. My first and only real complaint is the VTAC is only 1" webbing instead of magpul's more comfortable and less twistable 1.25". Tightening is easy with the rifle in front (to snug it against your chest). I'm pretty small-framed, so I had more excess than the keeper loop allowed, so the end hangs free-possibly a point of contention in the future (the magpul was tidy in any position without danglies). It works well enough in any position I would use--2-point snugged against the chest (probably going to be my preferred carry when conditions allow), African carry, and across my back muzzle up (preferred carry when around people). I can't do American carry because my shoulders are so small, straps tend to slide off easily (I can keep my hand on the barrel with African carry to alleviate that, which I can't do with American). It's darn near impossible to tighten the VTAC while in African carry, but since I wouldn't be using the sling when the gun is shouldered, I can just have it set for that carry method and forget about it. After slinging it across my back, it's still not as easy to tighten it as the videos show, but I manage by holding the buttstock with my left hand (keeping it high, where I want it to end up) and then it cinches up fairly decently.

I have 1 magpul QD point on my top rail and 1 on the bottom rail for options. I found that any straight up/down carries (African or American) angled the rifle when attached to the top rail, which will prove problematic once I get the scope attached since the scope would impact and dig into my back--using the bottom rail attachment keeps the rifle profile flatter against my body in those carries.

Now I just sort of wish I got the VTAC in black instead of coyote brown. The brown will go with my camo more, but the rifle's still black, and i don't REALLY know if I want to get it camo dipped or not...