The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 15, 2013, 07:33 PM   #1
ezmiraldo

Tips on managing recoil for 10mm baby glock

Hi all! I love my g29 and I love full powered 10mm loads from Underwood. I've had the gun for about 6 months now, and I've gotta admit - I'm still working on managing recoil on this little bulldog.

What works for you, as far as managing recoil on hard-kicking semi-auto pistols?

Let's hear it...
Old April 15, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Rebel9793

Pachmayr handall helps a pretty good bit on my keltec p3at. No its not a 10mm but its small an hard to hold onto an the Handall helps alot lol.
Old April 15, 2013, 08:15 PM   #3
ohen cepel

If you have a chrono I would see if you can't get the same power factor out of milder loads since I'm not sure the short barrel on a 29 is burning all the powder in a hot 10mm.

Lighter loads or a .40 conversion barrel could work.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old April 15, 2013, 08:30 PM   #4
gwhunran

If you reload, you could load lighter to practice and go full power for defense. I've never seen a shot fired in anger but when I shoot a live animal hunting, I don't notice recoil.
Old April 15, 2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Buzzcook

Get a grip and get a grip.

As other people have mentioned a good grip that fits your hand and cushions recoil goes a long way to taming powerful cartridges.

And a good strong grip by you is probably more important. Have someone check out how you're holding the pistol or take some lessons.

When you have hard recoil don't try to fight it, don't try to hold the gun down. Let your arms pivot on your shoulders.
Old April 15, 2013, 11:17 PM   #6
BarryLee

I’m not sure exactly what you use the gun for, but you could try wearing gloves. I know this might not always work in self defense situations, but might for range or woods use.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 16, 2013, 12:28 AM   #7
BuckRub

Sell it and get a full sized.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:09 AM   #8
g.willikers

It's all in the grip - well mostly.
Gloves and grip modifications do help, but it's mostly grip technique that matters.
For gloves, try a set of mechanics gloves.
They are thin, but provide a cushion, and are a little sticky, too.
The Handall grips can help, if the rib location is agreeable with hand size.
But the biggest help with recoil is knowing how to hold and grip the gun.
And that requires someone to show you how, whether it's the one handed or two handed version.
It's not particularly intuitive.
Most people I see at the range don't have it anywhere near right.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
cmr287

Re: Tips on managing recoil for 10mm baby glock

If you're in a static position place your feet shoulder with the part and one foot in front of the other so that your feet are in an offset and comfortable. you need to have a bounce in your knees that you're not stiff ... when you present your weapon to target your arms and elbows should not be completely locked out .. with your arm straight in your elbows slightly bent this is your recoil mechanism for your upper body. This is good recoil management. If you have the proper grip you should not get a lot of muscle rise. When the weapon is fired it should come straight back into your chest and then you push back out.

As far as movement keep your feet someone apart, shoulder with or comfortable and removing you should be hunched down in an attack types of fish in with your legs bent so that when you're moving your legs become your shock absorbers. You need to find in between steps or on a step where you're comfortable at firing your weapon.

For lateral movement stay someone been in an attack position when moving left to right never cross one foot in front of the other. This will prevent falling and instability.

Last edited by cmr287; May 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Nittespanker

Strengthen your upper body with weight training. Technique as mention is also important.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:29 PM   #11
Wreck-n-Crew

The 10mm Has more recoil than a 45 or 40.

Lightening the load of the round is one thing and getting a lighter grn as well.

You can get it in the 40S&W range as far as weight and powder load and it will still kick like a mule.

You can only manage so much when it comes to recoil before you find yourself overcompensating in the wrong hand. try this video.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWc&cad=rja
Old May 13, 2013, 08:34 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

Stressfire methods....

I'd review the lessons-tactics of top instructor/legal use of force expert: Massad Ayoob; www.MassadAyoobgroup.com .
Ayoob teaches armed citizens & working sworn LE officers a tactic called: Stressfire. He wrote a few guides to explain the methods in detail.

www.deltapress.com www.gunvideo.com www.paladin-press.com
There are other DVD training aids & books that teach marksmanship and dynamic tactics for semi auto pistols like the compact Glock 29 10mm.
Larry Vickers, John Shaw, Clint Smith, Duane Dieter, Jeff Gonzales, and Kelly McCann all offer good courses/tactics.

ClydeFrog