The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 22, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1
displayit

.32 Teat fire ammo

Where can I buy some .32 teat fire ammo?
Old February 22, 2010, 07:07 PM   #2
SigP6Carry

I honestly wouldn't hold my breath on that.... you're the first person I've ever heard use the phrase "teat fire." I thought I was just insane thinking it was real.
Old February 22, 2010, 07:07 PM   #3
SDC

You can find single rounds occasionally at cartridge-collectors shows, but you might also find a few on online sites; these were known as the 32 Moore teat-fire. I hope you're not planning on trying to actually FIRE any of these, as they're long obsolete and worth more as historical oddities.
Old February 22, 2010, 08:49 PM   #4
DocDizz

Rather intrigued as to why you would WANT to fire something in this caliber (I assume you have one, as you're asking about ammo). Why risk damaging a piece of history?!
Old February 22, 2010, 09:14 PM   #5
ClayInTx

Valuable antiques

I saw something on these some time ago where a box of twenty sold at auction for (IIRC) $1500.00.
Old February 22, 2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have 4 of the early pattern (flat nipple) .32 caliber rounds. They usually bring higher prices than the later round nipple ammo.

No matter what, though, you're looking at $5 or more a shot for the ammo.

If you were looking for the .45 caliber version? You'd be talking $75 or more a shot, IF you could even find a gun.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Fishslayer

Teat fired ammo? Wasn't that in an Austin Powers movie?

The .45 cal teat fired ammo usually has a very high content of silicone...
Old February 24, 2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Sport45

I'm curious. Can someone post a picture of one of these rounds? Blur the middle a bit if needed to keep it family friendly.
Old February 24, 2010, 10:03 PM   #9
gearchecker

Found a link fro the teatfire cartridge

This is what I found for you.
I found this family friendly link:
http://www.ammo-one.com/IgnitionTEAT.html

At $17.50 per cartridge I wouldn't be shooting it.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old February 24, 2010, 10:08 PM   #10
ScottRiqui

Wow - the cartridge looks even more obscene than the name would suggest. Kind of like a bullet stuck backwards into a brass reservoir-tipped condom.
Old February 25, 2010, 12:31 PM   #11
SDC

This unusual layout was an attempt to get around the Rollin White patent on bored-through cylinders held by S&W, while still using self-contained cartridges; the revolvers made for these cartridges have a flat piece of steel screwed onto the frame that's supposed to hook under the rolled mouth of the case to pull fired cases out the front of the cylinder.
Old February 25, 2010, 04:23 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Moore was a pretty popular gun in its day and they are often seen at gun shows. They are not expensive, usually running around $600-700. I counted six at last year's Timonium (Baltimore) Show. I bought one and asked the seller if he would thrown in a box of ammo. For some reason, he looked at me funny.

Here are some pics of a Moore and a teat-fire cartridge. Note the small holes in the rear of the cylinder and the shape of the hammer that strikes down on the "teat" to fire the cartridge. The piece of steel SDC mentions (swung down in the pictures) is not actually an extractor, it is a loading gate to keep a round in the loading position from falling out forward. Once the gate is opened, a fired case is ejected forward by means of a rod inserted into the small notch at the bottom of the frame boss (best seen in picture 3).

Incidentally, the larger holes in the rear of the cylinder are for the "teat"; the smaller ones are for the cylinder stop, which comes forward out of the frame to stop cylinder rotation. The ratchet and stop holes are in a raised part of the cylinder which provides a support for the "teat" when the hammer strikes down on it.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moore.JPG (18.4 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg Moore2.JPG (26.9 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg Moore3.JPG (43.1 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by James K; February 25, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old February 25, 2010, 05:48 PM   #13
Fishslayer

Oh for the love a...

Who woulda thunk it? I thought this was a spinoff of someone's typo of "test fired." The "a" IS right next to the "s."

There really IS a "teat fired" ammo! Ya learn something new every day. Dunno how useful it is, but I learned something...
Old February 25, 2010, 07:29 PM   #14
Mello2u

This thread has added to my firearms knowledge.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old February 25, 2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Sport45

Very interesting. I'd never heard of such a thing. Thanks for the thread!
Old February 26, 2010, 03:32 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, if you want more excitement, there was also a cup fire cartridge.

I have all three of those interesting guns, but rather than going to the trouble of posting more pictures, here is a site that has good pics, plus descriptions.

http://armscollectors.com/mgs/rollins.htm

The Plant cup fire is also made to load from the front and its operation is described on the site. Incidentally, some of those revolvers have a small button on the bottom of the center pin. To remove the center pin, the button is PUSHED up; trying to pull it down will break it.

The third revolver in that group is the Slocum; Flayderman calls it a front loader, but it actually uses a conventional rimfire cartridge but evades the White patent by loading from the side. Its operation is explained at the above site.

P.S. Sorry, but I don't know where to get cup fire cartridges either.

Jim

Last edited by James K; February 26, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old February 26, 2010, 07:38 PM   #17
Locoweed

Well, there is also a lip fire cartridge and the Crispin annular rimfire which had the rim around the middle of the case.
Old February 26, 2010, 08:23 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those odd ball rounds were made in several calibers. The Allen lip fire was made in .25, .32, .36, and .44; the Ellis & White (Plant) cup primed was made in .28, .30, and .42 calibers; and the teat fire was made in both .32 and .45, though there may have been .30 and .36 as well.

Then there were the early center fires, like the Martin and the Benet, both of which were used by the U.S. Army; the latter may have contributed to the problems of a certain Lt. Col, formerly brevet Major General, named Custer.

Jim
Old May 30, 2013, 10:18 AM   #19
caesarsfish

old ammo (teat, paper shells and old copper rim fire)

I just bought a couple of boxes of old ammo which includes teat rounds, paper shells and old copper rim fire ammo. Does anyone know of a auction site where I can sell these.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:42 PM   #20
sgms

top 2 left round and flat teat fire
bottom 2 left brass and paper pin fire Paper were generally shot shells but this one is a slug
right side are cup fires top is cross section to show primer at bottom of cup
Don't have pictures of my other odd ignition rounds yet, just starting to photo cartridge collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpxgsLxUAM.jpg (55.6 KB, 102 views)
Old May 30, 2013, 05:03 PM   #21
g.willikers

Very interesting.
All new to me, too.
In the real world, were these any advantage over the cap and ball revolvers?
Old May 30, 2013, 08:20 PM   #22
sgms

In a word, yes, self contained cartridges would not break like the paper cartridge, much faster to reload, close to water proof, and a lot easier to carry loose rounds than loose powder ball and cap.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:40 PM   #23
WIL TERRY

IT SEEMS TO ME GUYS, there are a whole bunch of you here who need to buy " CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD."
Old May 30, 2013, 10:58 PM   #24
Newton24b

i believe that when i was 8 or 9 i read a copy of that great book, and i realized that these three systems would work well with a colt 1860.
Old May 31, 2013, 06:20 AM   #25
Mike Irwin
Staff

"IT SEEMS TO ME GUYS, there are a whole bunch of you here who need to buy " CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD."

I've yet to see an issue of COTW that has dealt with patent ignition cartridges like the Moore or Crispin.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.