The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 24, 2013, 10:44 PM   #1
dakota.potts

The REAL Browning Automatic Rifle

I've tried to look up the old Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) to find some research on the market, but so far I've only been able to find Browning's new line named the BAR. I'm looking for the one they produced that saw use during World War II. I'm curious what the automatic ones go for on the market but, more realistically (and more importantly to this forum), if anybody manufactures them or a similar platform in semi auto. I haven't been able to find anything. Anybody know of something or any links?
Old April 24, 2013, 11:11 PM   #2
armoredman

Yes, there is a semi-auto version out there, but rare and very expensive. Not as rare and expensive as the originals, I am guessing - I have no idea what an NFA BAR would go for.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3
tahunua001

a class 3 BAR would cost in excess of $15,000 that's a little out of most peoples price ranges.

there is a company that makes a semi auto version, I don't recall the name of the company but they are pretty convincing replicas, they however still cost about $6000 IIRC.
Old April 24, 2013, 11:33 PM   #4
dakota.potts

Thanks guys, a little closer to the information I was unable to find for whatever reason.

I dream about owning an NFA weapon but that will not be a reality for a long time if at all. I am curious about a semi auto version but $6,000 is a lot
Old April 24, 2013, 11:59 PM   #5
sprouticus

You want to look at Ohio Ordnance Works; they make a semi-auto version for $4,300 (currently).

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Fir...1918A3_SLR.rif

I do believe they make the receiver than use as many USGI parts as they can after that.
Old April 25, 2013, 12:22 AM   #6
5.56RifleGuy

A full auto BAR just sold at auction (Rock Island) for about $32,000. Add a 15% buyers premium to that too. Ouch.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
A full auto BAR just sold at auction (Rock Island) for about $32,000. Add a 15% buyers premium to that too. Ouch.
Makes you wonder how free this country is when an average man can not afford one of these mass-produced full-auto pieces of history.

At least we can still get our $625 Garands from the CMP!
Old April 25, 2013, 01:53 PM   #8
5.56RifleGuy

Last edited by 5.56RifleGuy; April 25, 2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Not on topic
Old April 25, 2013, 01:59 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

There were three principal military versions of the BAR. The M1918 was selective fire, full and semi-auto, with no bipod. The M1918A1 had a bipod in front of the handguard. The M1918A2 had a bipod at the muzzle and instead of semi and full auto had a slow and rapid fire selector. The slow fire was 300-350 rounds per minute; the normal (rapid) rate of fire was 500-600 rpm. An expert rifleman could work the trigger in slow fire to achieve what amounted to semi-auto fire.

The slow fire was achieved by redesigning the buffer to incorporate an actuator, which was driven to the rear by the operating slide, then came forward to trip the sear. The movement of the actuator caused the delay, resulting in a slow fire rate. In combat, the actuators tended to become inoperable, so most BAR men always used the normal (rapid) fire, which they felt was more effective anyway.

The bipod was moved to the muzzle for an unusual reason - it reduced the accuracy of the gun. The BAR, with its heavy fixed barrel, will routinely shoot 2 minutes of angle off a rest in semi-auto mode. But in a machinegun there is no desire to put all 20 rounds into an enemy soldier's belt buckle. As someone said, you want to "spread out the blessings". With the muzzle-mounted bipod, the gun would jump around more and disperse the shots over a larger area.

The semi-auto guns look like the M1918A2 but are different internally to meet BATFE's requirement that they not be readily convertible to FA fire. They fire from a closed bolt and have only SAFE and FIRE selector positions.

Jim

P.S. If you want more info, don't Google BAR or Browning Automatic Rifle, search on "M1918A2"; there is a lot of info out there. There is also a book, Rock in a Hard Place, by James L. Ballou, available from Collector Grade Publications.

JK
Old April 25, 2013, 08:33 PM   #10
defcon

damn $32k and $4.3k?

i made my own 1918 BAR clone in a .22LR version for $360
Old April 27, 2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Stevie-Ray

One of my old bosses had one. I remember him telling me about the hassle of moving to a new neighborhood and having to tell the local cop shop about it. Of course the first question was "Whaddya want that for?" And, of course his answer was contentious as well- "It's not a question of want-it's MINE."

I knew then it would be expensive, but I had no idea of 30K+