The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

My Front Bead Almost Attacked

I about lost it, yesterday, when I brought my gun up to its hold point. I try to ignore the beads, both the front and the mid bead, but when I looked down the rib I was staring at a huge bead that was staring back at me.

It scared the bejeebers out of me as at first I had no idea what it was. As I lowered the gun I saw that it was a huge black bee or some kind of wasp, that had landed on by barrel near the front bead, was looking right at me and staring in my face with bulging insect eyes.

Damn that thing was nasty looking.

A few of those beasts could have carried BigJim off. Perhaps more than a few.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; July 26, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old July 26, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2
SHNOMIDO

I was shooting a .410 one time when a wasp decided to explore down the barrel...

I dont know what happened to the wasp but i hit the chair leg i was aiming at pretty well.
Old July 26, 2012, 09:12 PM   #3
krimmie

You guys are always bragging about your B guns!
Old July 26, 2012, 10:22 PM   #4
zippy13

Quote:
You guys are always bragging about your B guns!
Who mentioned a B-gun?

With reference to front sights, I use a simple white bead. At a spring tournament, I'd gone to my hold point when a bug that looked just like my front sight landed on my rib. He then tried to make love with my front bead. Talk about distractions.
FYI: it was on a P-gun -- romantic those Italians.
Old July 27, 2012, 12:13 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Who mentioned a B-gun?

With reference to front sights, I use a simple white bead. At a spring tournament, I'd gone to my hold point when a bug that looked just like my front sight landed on my rib. He then tried to make love with my front bead. Talk about distractions.
FYI: it was on a P-gun -- romantic those Italians.
This is going to get an "X" rating.
Old July 27, 2012, 07:15 AM   #6
mete

At a handgun metallic silhouette match I just started to sqeeze the trigger when a fly landed on the front sight ! The front sight is 1/8", the fly 1/8" and the target appeared 1/8" !
And that's an example of why you will learn lots of things actually shooting in a match !
Old July 27, 2012, 12:35 PM   #7
BigJimP

Don't be a wimp ....just ignore it ....( but wasps and yellow jackets are meat eaters I hear ) ....

...so I'd be worried if it flew up the leg on your shorts ...or got in between your toes in those flip flops....
Old July 27, 2012, 02:29 PM   #8
zippy13

At another tournament, at the same club (Redlands), I was getting ready for the 20-ga event. I filled my shell pouch and went to Station-1. I was shooting anchor. When I finally took the station and reached for a shell, I was rewarded by a bee sting on my trigger finger. My buddy, not knowing about bees, squeezed the thing (to ensure that all the toxins would be delivered) instead of scraping it off. I suspect the bee was attracted by the yellow of the shells. It was another one of those weird things you encounter if you shoot enough.
Old July 27, 2012, 07:24 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

This wasn't just a bee or a wasp - It was a MONSTER. I do some of the gardening and there are bees everywhere and we take no notice of them. This one could carry off a small dog. Maybe not quite
Old July 28, 2012, 12:29 PM   #10
johnbt

Around here I'd bet it on it being an eastern carpenter bee. They're about the size of a bumble bee, but without a stinger. The males have been known to attempt to mate with insects and small birds. Really.

John
Old July 29, 2012, 10:29 PM   #11
shortwave

As johnbt stated, could have very well been a carpenter bee. Looks like a big bumble bee without the yellow stripes on the rear of the body. They will drill a perfect 3/8 inch hole in wood almost fast and neat as you can with a drill. Damn things have eaten my barn up.

Although I've seen some huge black, what looked like hornets(don't know their correct name) with bodies up to an inch long while out hunting. No yellow on them. All black.

Last edited by shortwave; July 29, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old July 29, 2012, 10:36 PM   #12
TripHlx

Maybe something similar to this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet
Old July 31, 2012, 06:35 PM   #13
oneounceload

Only ONE bug? PSHAW my good man. We shot after some torrential rains had managed to let the gnats reproduce at EBOLA-like rates - pull your gun up and there was a SWARM at the barrel as well as one around your head - it is amazing how well those electronic ear muffs can amplify the buzzing of those nasty buggers........

Talk about distracting! - That's my excuse for shooting like dung and I'm sticking to it!
Old August 5, 2012, 09:06 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yellow Jackets ARE meat eaters... Around here, if I lay a piece of meat on the ground a few minutes and keep the dogs away... it will have dozens of them ON it and they don't like things gettin' near it or them...

Brent
Old August 5, 2012, 12:56 PM   #15
TheKlawMan

I guess it was a carpenter bee, but I am swithing loads to 7.5. 8's didn't do much but raise dust.
Old August 5, 2012, 04:51 PM   #16
Seminole

I can't believe no one has pointed this out yet, but there seems to be a spelling mistake in the thread title. Don't you mean to refer to your "front bee-d"?
Old August 5, 2012, 04:58 PM   #17
TheKlawMan

Quote:
I can't believe no one has pointed this out yet, but there seems to be a spelling mistake in the thread title. Don't you mean to refer to your "front bee-d"?
Actually, I thought I posted it like that.