The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 13, 1998, 05:52 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd like to conduct a survey and learn what mounting positions people use when wielding a smg. For myself, the high shoulder works well. Anybody perfer the sternum, cheek/sling, low shoulder (ala rifle), underarm, etc. and if so, why?

Old November 14, 1998, 03:15 PM   #2
Hilton

I'm not sure what to call the method/stance I use, but it's the one put forth by HK Int'l TD. Body is fairly square to target, right foot back slightly, elbows tucked in tight, shoulders over the knees in an aggressive forward lean/crouch, and stock mounted just medial to the pocket, right in the middle of the pectoral. This position offers a high degree of stability, and works well in body armor. Unfortunately, for a guy with short arms, it is a horrible position for a pump shotgun.
Old November 17, 1998, 09:11 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hilton, my stance is very similar to yours with the major distinction being in that mine is shoulder mounted. Only the lower portion of the buttstock contacts the shoulder and this brings the gun up a wee bit higher.

Tried the position you described and like it for the Uzi as I dislike the feel of the collaspable metal stock against the cheek.
Old November 17, 1998, 03:54 PM   #4
Hilton

Gary,
Hmm, in the position I use, there is still a solid stock weld, as the stock is mounted fairly high on the pectoral. In fact, only the toe of the stock really meets the body. I think the Uzi is a hard gun to shoot no matter what position you use. There's no getting around that sheet metal folding stock.
Old November 18, 1998, 02:52 PM   #5
David

Hilton,

ditto on the H&K stance.

Very stable.

Old December 5, 1998, 01:44 PM   #6
srt6

Hilton & David

Gotta agree on the HK/Singleton Method. Squared to target, elbows tucked in tight. Also like the point shoot method for CQB work (7 yards and under) and protective mask firing.

Dave