The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 27, 2002, 01:51 PM   #1
FSCJedi

Pistol Gripped Shotguns...

Ok everyone, I need to be set straight. I have heard that in some states, a pistol-gripped shotgun is considered to be a pistol. Is this true, and if it is, is it considered one in West Virginia? My curiosity was piqued when I read that and now I have to know. Also, I think I read somewhere that (for reasons beyond my comprehension) the Mossberg 500 series shotguns allows for the attachment of a M-16 bayonet. Is this true, and if so, what other shotguns have this ability (in particular, does the Winchester 1300?)? Sorry in advance if my questions seem a little stupid, as it were. I just have a curious mind.
Old September 27, 2002, 02:10 PM   #2
swampgator

I would be hard pressed to believe any state would consider a shotgun with a pistol grip to be a handgun. That being said, call the local P.D or S.O. and get their opinion. And be sure to speak to a sworn officer.

The Mossberg 590A1 (IIRC) does come with a bayonet lug and you can attach an M-16 bayonet to it. Not sure if the Winchester 1300 has that capability, but I doubt it.

Also, WELCOME ABOARD! There are many very knowledgeable folks on this board who will be happy to answer any questions you have.
Old September 27, 2002, 03:09 PM   #3
cslinger

Ditto on the bayonet question. The marines used or still use the 590A1 for certain chores.

As for shotguns being classified as a pistol, the only thing I have ever heard is that that if they fall under the federal barrel length requirement they get classified as an Any Other Weapon or Short Barreled Rifle and require a $200 Tribute to the.....ahhhh I mean tax.

Like everybody else will tell you. Run it by your local LEO/DA whatever to make absolutely sure. There are so many stupid laws and they change so fast so quietly that it doesn't hurt to check every once in a while.

Chris
Old September 27, 2002, 03:15 PM   #4
Ben Swenson

Short shotgun - (<18" and manufactured as such) without a stock is considered a smoothbore pistol, and is hence an "Any Other Weapon" and a $5 "tax" - not $200.

Very important phrase there - manufactured as such. You can't go out and chop the barrel and stock of a regular shotgun yourself (because it started its "life" as a regular shotgun and is now a short barreled shotgun), but if the people who build the gun from scratch give it a short barrel and no stock, then it can be registered as an AOW for $195 less.

No, it doesn't make sense but that's the way it is.