The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 12, 2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Senators Up For Re-Election in 2014

The following is a list of Senators who are up for reelection in 2014. Where I have knowledge of a Senator's current stance on gun control, I have added that information. If you have received a letter from a Senator on this list expressing support, partial opposition or opposition to additional gun control, please share that informaton with us and I will update the original post to reflect that. This post is not intended to advocate for or against a party in a political fashion but rather just to let Second Amendment minded voters see who is walking the walk. As you can see, the antis are bipartisan in nature.

Alabama - Jeff Sessions (R) - Pro-Second. No current statement found.
Alaska - Mark Begich (D) - CURRENTLY OPPOSING ANY NEW GUN CONTROL MEASURES
Arkansas - Mark Pryor (D) - Gave vague non-answer when recently questioned
Colorado - Mark Udall (D) - SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL
Delaware - Chris Coons (D) - NRA F rating. No current statement found.
Georgia - Saxby Chambliss (R) - Gave vague non-answer in response to pro-2A letter
Hawaii - Brian Schatz (D) - No current statement found
Idaho - Jim Risch (R) - NRA A+ rating. No current statement found.
Illinois - Richard Durbin (D) - SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL
Iowa - Tom Harkin (D) - SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL
Kansas - Pat Roberts (R) - Gave vague non-answer in response to pro-2A letter
Kentucky - Mitch McConnell (R) - Gun control takes a back seat to spending issues
Louisiana - Mary Landrieu (D) - Suggested support for expanding NICS in response to pro-2A letter
Maine - Susan Collins (R) - Supported past AWBs and gave vague statement supporting more gun control
Massachusetts - John Kerry (D) - SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL
Michigan - Carl Levin (D) - SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL
Minnesota - Al Franken (D) - Has supported gun control; but dodged question when asked about more gun control
Mississippi - Thad Cochran (R) - NRA A-rated. No current statement found.
Montana - Max Baucus (D) - We must bring ourselves together for an honest national conversation about every aspect in this terrible attack from assault weapons to the media’s coverage of these events to how we address mental illness
Nebraska - Mike Johanns (R) - SUPPORTS SECOND AMENDMENT
New Hampshire - Jeanne Shaheen (D) - SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL
New Jersey - Frank Lautenberg (D) - SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL or Cory Booker (D) - Supports Registration
New Mexico - Tom Udall (D) - Gave vague non-answer to reporter
North Carolina - Kay Hagan (D) - Supported AWB in 2009 but gave non-commital vague answer to reporter
Oklahoma - Jim Inhofe (R) - NRA A+ rating. No current statement found.
Oregon - Jeff Merkley (D) - Seeking to end filibuster in Senate. Some past gun control support. No current statement found.
Rhode Island - Jack Reed (D) - SUPPORTS GUN CONTROL
South Carolina - Lindsey Graham (R) - SUPPORTS SECOND AMENDMENT
South Carolina (special to replace Jim DeMint) - Tim Scott (R) - SUPPORTS SECOND AMENDMENT
South Dakota - Tim Johnson (D) - No current statement found
Tennessee - Lamar Alexander (R) - SUPPORTS SECOND AMENDMENT
Texas - John Cornyn (R) - NRA A rated - Gave vague non-answer to pro-2A letter
Virginia - Mark Warner (D) - Supported increased NICS checks in recent response letter
West Virginia - OPEN SEAT (Jay Rockefeller retiring)
Wyoming - Mike Enzi (R) - SUPPORTS SECOND AMENDMENT

The guys giving vague answers on either side need to hear from us. They are wobbly and waiting for direction. The guys opposing us vocally already need to go. We need to start planning now how to help their primary opponents and general election opponents in 2014.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; January 12, 2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Bartholomew, that looks like a lot of work went into it. Thanks!
Old January 12, 2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

Well Done sir!

Willie

Old January 12, 2013, 09:20 PM   #4
ohen cepel

Thanks!

Please think about giving to anyone who is running against us. I have given up on my current state since they are sunk. However, I will give to ANYONE who will beat a lib maggot. If they win, that means a lot on the senate floor!

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old January 12, 2013, 09:31 PM   #5
RamItOne

Dang Bart, that's gotta be the Texas side of you, the Okie side wouldn't have gotten the states in order

Great job!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 12, 2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Alabama Shooter

I would not worry about not finding a statement on Jeff Sessions.

Quote:
Voted YES on allowing firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak trains. (Apr 2009)
Voted YES on prohibiting foreign & UN aid that restricts US gun ownership. (Sep 2007)
Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)
Voted NO on background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted YES on more penalties for gun & drug violations. (May 1999)
Voted YES on loosening license & background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)
Voted NO on child Safety Locks: guns sold without trigger locks. (2004)
Rated A+ by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record. (Dec 2003)
Ban gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC. (Mar 2007)
Also no AWB renewal, background checks at gun shows for everyone and just about everything else you can think of.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:00 PM   #7
rajbcpa

...we are in deep trouble...... the House is the only possibility to keep more horrible gun control laws off the books......

...even horrible harry reid is turning pro gun control...
Old January 12, 2013, 10:08 PM   #8
Technosavant

Quote:
...we are in deep trouble...... the House is the only possibility to keep more horrible gun control laws off the books......

...even horrible harry reid is turning pro gun control...
I wouldn't panic just yet.

What they say publicly is not necessarily what they wholeheartedly support behind the scenes. I rather suspect that many who tend toward more leftist causes but are from more moderate to conservative states (such as Reid from NV and one of my own Senators, McCaskill from MO) will mouth support for new measures to assuage their base but send back channel messages that they REALLY don't want to have to see one come up for a vote.

Make your desires known to your own Senators to make sure they know how the folks back home feel. It's one thing to talk up support for party political stances, but when push comes to shove, they'd rather get reelected.

Moreover, 51 votes in the Senate won't quite be enough. The associated committee(s) involved will need to be willing to take up the bills and approve them. The folks running the calendar need to be wholeheartedly on board or it won't get to the floor. They will need enough votes to break potential filibusters or it won't reach a vote.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Georgia - Saxby Chambliss (R) - Gave vague non-answer in response to pro-2A letter
Chambliss is no friend to liberty, and he seems to bend with the prevailing winds. He was a co-sponsor to the Senate version of the Stop Internet Piracy Act (SOPA), and he voted for the NDAA with the detainee provision attached.

Want to know who fought the detainee provision? Dianne Feinstein.

Our other senator is nearly as odious. Both bear prodding and watching as this issue unfolds.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Fishing_Cabin

I recieved the below response from Sen Kay Hagan (D-NC). From her reply it seems, at least to me that she is at the very least receptive to any ban, and if possibly in respect to her re-election chance, she may support it. I added the bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Hagan email reply
January 10, 2013

Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the horrific tragedy that took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this issue, and my thoughts and prayers remain with the victims and families of this senseless and appalling act of violence.

In the wake of the shooting in Newtown, which left twenty-six innocent members of the community dead, many of them young children, Americans across the country are searching for answers on how we can prevent such tragic events from happening in the future. I believe we must do all we can to put laws and policies in place to prevent future tragedies such as this one. Doing that will require a common-sense debate on a comprehensive approach that examines all relevant issues, including access to firearms, mental healthcare, and the prevalence of violence in video games and media. As always, it is important that we not unnecessarily infringe on the legitimate Second Amendment rights of responsible gun owners.

Like you, I have always been an advocate for Second Amendment rights. My family, like the great state of North Carolina, has a long tradition of hunting and gun ownership, and I take great pride in that heritage. During my tenure in the North Carolina Senate I continuously supported the responsible use of firearms. As your United States Senator, I will always be committed to protecting these fundamental, constitutional rights.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. It is truly an honor to represent North Carolina in the United States Senate, and I hope you will not hesitate to contact me in the future should you have any further questions or concerns. If you would like to stay informed on my work in the Senate, you can sign up for my e-newsletter, follow me on Twitter at @SenatorHagan, or visit my Facebook page.
Fortunatly, from speaking from my experience and personal knowledge, Sen Richard Burr (R-NC) should be against any AWB or mag ban.

Last edited by Fishing_Cabin; January 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:40 PM   #11
sigcurious

Quote:
I rather suspect that many who tend toward more leftist causes but are from more moderate to conservative states (such as Reid from NV and one of my own Senators, McCaskill from MO) will mouth support for new measures to assuage their base but send back channel messages that they REALLY don't want to have to see one come up for a vote.
Reid is going to be a tough one to pin down on this subject. Traditionally he's been pro-2A, but there have been rumblings that his stance may have softened. With his position he's also going to be extremely important if and when any legislation comes down the pipe. I know he's gotten at least one letter expressing concern over any future gun control legislation, I can only hope mine is one of many from my state.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:33 PM   #12
wingman

John Cornyn (Texas) has always been difficult to get a straight answer from when I've written on various subject, normally he does the political 2 step.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:11 AM   #13
BarryLee

Quote:
Chambliss is no friend to liberty
Yes, a little concerned with some of the Georgia bunch. I hear Gingrey is talking about magazine bans and when I sent Chambliss a message expressing concern about gun control he replied by expressing his shock over the Connecticut School shooting. The funny thing is I never mentioned any specific event and asked only that he fully protect the Second Amendment.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 13, 2013, 01:36 AM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I hear Gingrey is talking about magazine bans
Yep. He's been supportive and responsive in the past, and I'm seeing neither of those things now. The only guy we've got in the Judiciary committee is Hank Johnson, and I've got a feeling he's not in our corner.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:35 AM   #15
Alabama Shooter

Though he is not up for reelection Joe Manchin (D-WV) went on Face The Nation this morning and came out in favor of an AWB (as part of a broader measures to reduce violence ).

Note that he has an "A" rating from the NRA.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:43 AM   #16
CERBERUS

This is what Susan Collins of Maine replied when I contacted her last week. I thought I would add it hear for people to see.

Quote:
Dear Mr. S,

Thank you for contacting me in opposition to gun control legislation in the wake of the horrifying tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut.

These shootings were acts of violence that our country has experienced far too often. I was shaken as I learned of the details of the shooting, which cut short the lives of so many little children and seven adults, causing such immense suffering and unspeakable grief for their families and their community.

I grew up in northern Maine where responsible gun ownership is part of the heritage of many families. While our country should examine what can be done to help prevent gun violence, denying the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens won't change the behavior of those who intend on using firearms for criminal purposes.

We need to have a national conversation to try to avert another devastating shooting. To be fruitful, however, that discussion must do more than focus solely on regulating firearms; it also needs to examine issues such as the glorification of violence in the media and video games and the mental health system in this country.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.
Old January 13, 2013, 11:50 AM   #17
Alabama Shooter

The gun banners that have to go back on their word on gun banning keep talking about curtailing the first amendment as part of their plan. I have yet to see a single study that violent movies/ games increase violence.

Personally I have seen enough violence over the years I refuse to play any video game with violence in it. Yet with the huge proliferation of these types games over the years violent crime has... dropped. Sound familiar?
Old January 13, 2013, 11:50 AM   #18
gilfo

To bad I can't threaten my Rep in Florida with a no vote. He just got re-elected in the last election.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:40 PM   #19
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Dang Bart, that's gotta be the Texas side of you, the Okie side wouldn't have gotten the states in order
I cheated and used the Internet to get them in order

However none of that work means anything unless people use the information to contact the wobblers and get the antis unelected.
Old January 13, 2013, 01:07 PM   #20
Alabama Shooter

I just don't see the big fight taking place in the senate. Not when the house is where the numbers are and the fact the reps are constantly "running" for office under the two year plan.
Old January 15, 2013, 08:41 PM   #21
Bartholomew Roberts

The House Judiciary Chairman has already stated that no gun control is coming through his committee. Any gun control bills will have to originate in the Senate, so that is where the first votes are likely to happen.

Additionally, while I can do the work on the 33 Senators up for reelection, compiling the current statements of 435 Reps is a little beyond my resources.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:03 PM   #22
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Our other senator is nearly as odious. Both bear prodding and watching as this issue unfolds.
Both represent all of the negative stereotypes associated with old Georgia politicians and none of the good. Kinda sort makes me miss Paul Coverdale.

Good 'ole John is solidly in our corner though. He makes me feel okay about being a single issue voter.

Thanks for the work, Mr. Roberts. Good info to be had, and in easily absorbale frat boy friendly chunks to boot.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:54 AM   #23
89yj

I sent a email to John Cornyn already. I'm waiting on a response other than the immediate email saying he would respond as quickly as possible.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:07 PM   #24
CowTowner

^^^^ What he said. As well as Senator Cruz and my Congressman.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 16, 2013, 02:29 PM   #25
BarryLee

Quote:
Good 'ole John is solidly in our corner though.
Yes, I saw Isakson on CNBC this morning and he stated that any bans on rifles or magaiznes were not needed.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman