The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 30, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
rayway

Cheap Indoor ranges.

Hey what do you guys here find a fair price to pay for say 2 hours in a indoor range. I want to get practice but im not sure what the price would worth I guess mabey 10 dollars a hour would be fairly right ? Anyone get better prices or better yet Free
Old November 30, 2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Creeper

The cost to operate/man/ventilate/properly clean and maintain a public indoor range pretty much eliminates "free" unless you have some sort of membership that you paid big money for... but then, that wouldn't be free either.

One of the not so local to me, but popular indoor ranges in one of the more "high end" parts of the region charges as follows:

Lane Use Fees
Sunday – Friday
First person: $15.00
Each additional person: $10.00 (up to 3 max)
Saturday
First person: $20.00
Each additional person: $15.00 (up to 3 max)

And this for rentals:

Gun Rentals

Our rental policy states that to rent a firearm, you must either bring your own firearm, or have another person with you at time of rental. Our ammunition must be used with rental guns.

One gun: $8 / Sat: $10
All guns same caliber: $10 / Sat: $12
All guns (excluding carbines and S&W X-frame): $14 / Sat: $16
S & W 500 Mag or S & W 460: $30 each (includes 5 rounds of ammo)
Carbine and rifle rental $15-25 or $50 for all.
Full auto machineguns available by appointment – call for reservations.
Uzi 9mm: $50
M16 9mm: $50
MP5 9mm: $75

Did I mention I used to work there... so I do shoot free? No?
Old November 30, 2012, 11:50 PM   #3
rayway

how many

How much for 1 person staying 1 hour and bringing their own gun.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Creeper

What I posted is the per hour rate. This place is always full, and packed out through the front door in the winter time. They also do full time training and group/club rentals and are open from 10 to 10.

The number of "foreigners on vacation", Asians mostly, make up a good 30% of the customers.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:10 AM   #5
BarryLee

The place I go charges $12.00 per hour, but if no one is waiting they let you go over with no additional charge. I purchased a 10 session ticket book for $75.00 and like I said if it is slow they give you extra time. They also have memberships that allow you unlimited access for like $300.00 per year. There are a couple of other places I go and I believe the rates are similar.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 1, 2012, 12:38 AM   #6
DASHZNT

My place charges $8.00 and you can stay as long as you want.. I love it!

DASHZNT
Old December 1, 2012, 12:44 AM   #7
sigcurious

Of the indoor ranges I've used it's either been a flat fee($15-20) for the day, or a place I had a membership at that was around $200 for the year, unlimited use and discount on range products. Where I live now I don't use the indoor ranges but their fees are similar from the ones I've seen that cater to locals, the ranges that cater to tourists can get pretty pricey.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Xfire68

A place near me costs $6 for all day(10am-8pm) and $6 for gun rentals. Targets start at $0.25.

Another cost $15 for 2 hrs and gun rentals vary from $10-$35 and you have to use their targets @$1 each and their ammo @ $22 for a box of 50 9mm FMJ!

They did not have the gun I wanted to rent at the cheap place so I went to the other and it cost me $105 to rent 2 guns and shoot 100 rounds! I was in the range for 35 mins max!
Old December 1, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Dragonheart2

I think a lot is going to depend on where you live. Our most up to date cutting edge indoor range is $20 an hour or $30 for 2 people sharing a lane with unlimited guns and anything up to a 50 cal BMG. The cheapest way to shoot regularly is joining a shooting club. If you live close to Katy, TX, you can go to the range with me for free, as I go at least once a week.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:12 AM   #10
g.willikers

Ouch, and I was complaining when our local, and very well maintained, outdoor range raised their fees from $8 to $12 for all day.
The local indoor range charges $14 for all day plus a small membership fee.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:15 AM   #11
B.L.E.

The two indoor ranges close to me, (both owned by the same people) charge $14/hour.

I despise indoor shooting, earplugs AND muffs is barely enough hearing protection indoors. Baffled outdoor ranges are nearly as bad not to mention that you are only allowed to shoot rifles off of a bench.

Nowdays, I gladly drive 50 extra miles to shoot at an unbaffled outdoor range that allows offhand rifle shooting. $10/shooter, bring as many guns as you like and stay as long as you like.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:40 AM   #12
EdInk

$15 an hour. If no one is waiting to use the lane, you can shoot as long as you wish. They will also run specials. One day NRA members are 1/2 price. Another is Ladies Day, Senior Citizen Day, etc. Indoor ranges cost a lot to operate.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Indoor range up-state charges $25/hour for the lane, and that covers one or two people. More people must rent more lanes.

They rent guns, but the rental rates aren't on their web site and I always bring my own.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:14 AM   #14
BillyJack3

$25/hour for my indoor range. Up to 2 people per lane. You can barely get a reservation no the weekend. Lanes are much larger than a typical range and are about 5 fee wide by 6 feet deep. 3 feet or so of bullet proof steel and another 3 feet of bullet proof glass separate the lanes. Top notch but you pay for it. Only place I really feel safe with my kids.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Atbat82

Last time I went it was $15/hr (or any part of - I stayed an hour and 4 mins and they charged me for 2hrs). Gun rentals were $15 each and had to use their ammo. 9mm was $20/box of 50. Also, they did not clean their guns. I rented an m&p 9mm. And in 50 rds I had 5 malfunctions.

Needless to say, I'm looking for a new place to shoot.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:28 AM   #16
Sparks1957

We have an indoor range at my local shooting club, open a few hours a couple days of the week in winter only.

I'd rather freeze my butt outside than deal with the noise and poor ventilation, honestly.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:46 AM   #17
TheGoldenState

17$ ALL DAY
Old December 1, 2012, 11:58 AM   #18
Apom

$25 plus tax. Inside Gander Mt. Brand new facility. But still a bit pricy.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:38 PM   #19
Genepix

My local range charges $13 hr, with a $2 discount if you buy any of their ammo. Well maintained, professionally operated, and nobody watches the clock.
Old December 1, 2012, 01:36 PM   #20
Yung.gunr

The bigger range closest to me is $14/hr per person. It used to be $14 as long as you wanted. When they switched to hourly that's when I stopped going. They do have Fridays are free ladies days

The closest range is smaller and the lanes are smaller. It's also $14/hr and their free ladies days are Monday & Wednesdays. As a guy if I take my wife I get to shoot for $10/hr.

I don't usually shoot indoors. The outdoor range is $7 all day and much more enjoyable. Feels much safer and quieter with it not being so enclosed.
Old December 1, 2012, 01:44 PM   #21
barstoolguru

15 bucks beats the heck out of driving to the middle of nowhere if you live in the city
Old December 1, 2012, 03:53 PM   #22
TheRaskalKing

My LGS has a pretty awesome indoor range. $10 for the first shooter, $7 for the second. Gun rentals are $10 and you can switch as many times as you like, you just have to buy their ammo (which is very reasonably priced) for all rentals. They have an awesome selection of rentals too, which is nice for a new shooter. I think it's supposed to be $10 for the hour, but I usually take my dear sweet time (except when it's packed and there's people waiting) and haven't ever been told my time is up.

My outdoor range is pretty sweet too- 15 minutes over the mountain, $10 for the entire year (opens when the snow melts, closes when it starts to cover the ground) and very plain jane from there. About 20 benches on the firing line, bring your own guns, targets, old junk to destroy, and clean up when you're done. You just shoot into the mountainside (out to 300 yards).
Old December 1, 2012, 07:29 PM   #23
mitchntx

My LGS has a 15yd 6 lane indoor range. In Texas, the AC makes a difference ...

Cost is $15/hr/lane ... by yourself or sharing ... doesn't matter.

A $300/year membership, among other percs, makes it $7.50/hour.
Old December 1, 2012, 08:48 PM   #24
kymarkh

Whatever they charge is worth it. I pay $14.00 an hour locally at a very nice facility.
Old December 1, 2012, 10:01 PM   #25
Metal god

I go to Discount gun mart here by me in San Diego

$12 Mon through Friday after noon no time limet

They charge buy the hour Friday night through Sunday . Not sure of the rate never asked cus I will not pay by the hour .I shoot at least 4 hours every time I go . I have a membership at the big outdoor range about 30 min away . When I go there Im there from when it opens till it closes .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .