The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 13, 2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What is it?

Since the camera missed its head. What do you suppose this healthy looking carnivore is? Coyote or Gray wolf. (Pix was taken in Northern MN.)
Old October 13, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2
tahunua001

I would say it's probably a coyote but without the head it is hard to identify. if it is a wolf then it's a small one.
Old October 13, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Double Naught Spy

Concur.
Old October 13, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
huntinaz

Has the coloration of a coyote.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:20 PM   #5
DennisCA

Yup looks like a yote' to me.
Old October 13, 2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If it is a coyote. It sure is a big healthy one.
Old October 13, 2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

No doubt s/he has put on its winter coat, thicker and longer fur than its summer coat, making it look very healthy...which it probably is.
Old October 14, 2012, 02:07 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

Looks like a coyote, but another photo from the same game camera (with another animal or object) would help give it some scale.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:38 AM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
If it is a coyote. It sure is a big healthy one.

My thoughts exactly. The depth of the chest(that I can see) seems to be deeper in comparison than most of the yotes I see. Young wolves of the year and big 'yotes can be indistinguishable without seeing the head, and without something else of known size in the picture to judge the animals size, impossible to say for sure.
Old October 14, 2012, 06:50 PM   #10
huntinaz

It looks like a standard coyote with a decent winter coat. See the white collar behind the shoulder? I don't know if wolves get that, but coyotes definitely do and that one has it. I did a quick Google image search and didn't see any wolves with that coloration, but it is common for coyotes.

Here's an exaggerated illustration of the collared coloration:
http://www.nps.gov/bibe/naturescience/coyote.htm
Old October 17, 2012, 02:24 PM   #11
warbirdlover

Here's a small wolf that is on our leased land...

That looks too big to be a yote.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wolfy.jpg (35.1 KB, 194 views)
Old October 17, 2012, 04:01 PM   #12
markj

Dont the wolves drive off yotes? The region does have some wolfs I belive.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
markj said: Dont the wolves drive off yotes? The region does have some wolfs I believe.
That's an understatement Sir. No, they actually eat them. The northern 1/2 of Minn has a population something in the neighborhood of 3 to 5000 gray(timber) wolves and there's speculation from those folks who live in that area the count is closer to 6-7000. Wolves are stripping the Northern half of Minnesota area to the bone in their taking of all animals. Wild and domestic.

HEIGHT: 26 - 33 inches.
LENGTH: 6.5 ft. (including tail)
WEIGHT: Can weigh up to 175 lb.

For the first time in 30 years this States DNR are allowing hunters by lottery to harvest 400 wolves this year. I can only hope the number is doubled next year.

S/S
Old October 17, 2012, 08:13 PM   #14
Deja vu

Quote:
Dont the wolves drive off yotes? The region does have some wolfs I belive.
I live and hunt in Wolf country Idaho. While its true they do eat Coyotes the presence of wolves does not mean there are no Coyotes, they just learn to be more quiet and sneaky. I hear Wolves many nights every year, especially in the warm summer evenings. The coyotes that are still around have learned not to yap (very much)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 18, 2012, 12:19 AM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Deja vu: With the large population of wolves we have. A coyote would have to be invisible to stay alive in wolf habitat here. Wolves they are indeed moving and spreading out to the South and East. Wisconsin has had many more sightings these last few years than usual as Michigan also. Back in the early 70s that Endangered Species Act. Those in charge. Their plan or idea was to protect the Gray Wolf and not inhibit them in any way in hopes to bring there population back up to 12-1400 max for the available habitat here in Northern MN. Well after 30 plus years. The Gray Wolf was recently removed from (The List) at the behest of our Sen. Amy Klobuchar. Apparently the re-population plan exceeded the Agency's desires and we now have 3 to 5000 and as many as 7000 possibly. You just got to love them politicians. lol
Old October 18, 2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
With the large population of wolves we have. A coyote would have to be invisible to stay alive in wolf habitat here.
So I guess the deer and every other type of furry animal of the forest and meadow are invisible as well?

Obviously, coyotes do survive in wolf habitat because they are around for the wolves to keep eating, LOL.
Old October 18, 2012, 05:43 PM   #17
warbirdlover

We used to kill 4-6 coyotes on our 120 acres of leased land every week of gun deer season in Wisconsin. Since the wolves moved in we don't see coyotes anymore. Now if the cougar we had on the land last year eats the wolves we'll be all set!!
Old October 18, 2012, 05:48 PM   #18
Jo6pak

Not sure where exactly you're at Warbird, but we have coyotes coming out of our ears in my part of the state.(LaCrosse area.)
A few rumors of cats, but no wolves yet
Old October 20, 2012, 09:49 AM   #19
buck460XVR

I live where I can see the boundaries of Fort McCoy. They killed half a dozen nuisance wolves from a pack there about a month ago. I also can see the lake from my house where two wolves were photographed eating a deer they chased out onto the ice last winter. I also live a mile as the crow flies from the latest verified cougar sighting in the state. That said, it's rare that I can walk outta my house at night and not hear coyotes howling and yippin' as they chase rabbits in the swamps that are the headwaters of the previously stated lake. This morning as I played with the dog, I noticed a fresh deer scrape under the apple tree in the back yard. Seems to me to be a balance..........
Old October 20, 2012, 09:59 AM   #20
mete

Wolf or coyote ? There is a fine study ,DNA etc ,etc of coyotes in NY and PA that showed that 20 % had wolf genes !!
This certainly explains the large 75 lb coyotes here !
Old October 22, 2012, 04:38 AM   #21
rickyrick

Almost certain, coyote on the healthy side,

But common markings to many coyote

Last edited by rickyrick; October 22, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:29 AM   #22
ChasingWhitetail91

Never seen a wolf in the wild but it looks like the tail is too short and bushy
Old October 26, 2012, 10:26 AM   #23
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
ChasingWhitetail91said: Never seen a wolf in the wild
Grey Wolf (timber) Believe me you don't want to. If your on the ground that is. Most folks forget at the time. When seeing one dog on the scout. There's usually more you haven't seen. Their always in a pack. Maybe one other (its mate) maybe 6-8 others. You just never know how many you'll encounter.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:52 AM   #24
ChasingWhitetail91

Speaking of What is it, i was out to check around my honey hole the other morning and came across alot of deer fur. There was a clear site where the deer was ambushed, but fifty feet from it there was more fur and blood but no bones. I ended up finding two bones (a piece of pelvis and a rib) but the part that stumps me is that the animal wasn't dragged from the kill site, it appeared to be carried over inside a thicket where it was eaten. Any thoughts on deer carrying predators in north east ct?
Old October 26, 2012, 05:31 PM   #25
warbirdlover

Quote:
Not sure where exactly you're at Warbird, but we have coyotes coming out of our ears in my part of the state.(LaCrosse area.)
A few rumors of cats, but no wolves yet

Jo6pak
If you look at a map of the wolf range there's a "spike" that drops down in the middle of the state. We're right near the bottom of it (Marquette county).

We've had them (seen them) for about five years now. They are getting bolder every year. Now they'll chase a deer right by your stand. Alpha is a big black sucker. DNR has radio collars on some of them according to their website. These are timber (grey) wolves.