The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2002, 11:37 AM   #1
Bogie

A safety hint

Guys, whenever possible, use a load of powder that comes close to filling your case. So you can see it. And so you can't over-charge it without noticing.

Heard about this at the range this weekend. Some guy was shooting a .338 Win with some 31 grain load of powder - I'm guessing he was cheaping out, and shooting a faster powder to try to save a few pennies per cartridge. He had a double charge, and blew up his rifle.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old July 1, 2002, 01:07 PM   #2
buford1

double charge

It was not a double charge that blew up that rifle. The average powder charge for a 338 win mag is 60.0 gr. Maybe it was the low powder charge had something to do with it. More than likley wrong type of powder used. I don`t see how you can double charge a rifle cartridge theres just not enough room. I reload 223 up to 458 win and a whole bunch in between and know way can you double charge any of those. Excellent advice for loading hand gun cartridges.
Old July 1, 2002, 03:38 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

Like Bogie said....could have been wrong powder and double charge.

I can think of several powders that could be used to double charge...double max load even...in a rifle case.

Sam
Old July 2, 2002, 10:36 AM   #4
Bogie

I had one friend who was trying to load a .300 Win Mag with 4895.

Yes, you can save money by using a smaller amount of a faster powder - it can be done. But it (a) doesn't contribute to accuracy; and (b) is potentially unsafe. Just cuz a .38 may shoot okay with Bullseye doesn't mean that you should use a similar density load with a rifle...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!