The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2002, 11:19 PM   #1
kotengu

Choosing the best load

I finally made it to the range yesterday armed with my new gun (match Shilen HB & Free floated forearm w/ trigger job on an FAL action - I know, I know, I wanted to try something different) and some load work-ups in 0.5gr increments. Now looking at these groups I'm wondering - what is the most desireable quality that I want to reproduce? I had some really nice 3-shot groups (in a five shot string) with two flyers that opened the group up, and I had some that were more consistant (rounder groups, I guess you'd say), but larger in size - or do you just look for pure group size and choose the smallest of them?
I have to go back and do it again (I had some inconsistant adjustments on my scope in between groups that probably caused some troubles), but it got me to thinking - what exactly am I looking for?
Thanks again,
Matt

PS - What is your personal favorite recipe for .308 loads? I'm starting with 168gr SMK, IMR4895, and Federal GM Match primers.
Old July 1, 2002, 12:40 AM   #2
Archie

Good groups should be .....

ROUND, more or less.

Your best groups are those that are round and consistent from time to time.

Where are the flyers? If the groups show lateral stringing, then the wind is getting to your bullets. If they are just "somewhere else", then either you are jerking the shots or your rifle is jerking the shots.

You might try wedging the barrel to check on the bedding. Checking bedding is described other places, so I won't go into it. In a self loading rifle, make sure the bolt is closing uniformly. And opening uniformly.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old July 1, 2002, 07:44 AM   #3
Dave P

Load Development

Might want to read about the ladder test:

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Ladde...oaddevelopment
Old July 1, 2002, 08:01 AM   #4
kotengu

"In a self loading rifle, make sure the bolt is closing uniformly."

How do you check this? It seems to be by looking at it, but my MarkI eyeballs really aren't that precise (or that fast).