The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 15, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Patriot86

The People V. Elliot Mayfield ( Defendant Acquitted)

I must first say I do not remember this story making the paper before now, but for the pro 2A community in Illinois I think this is an important and cautionary tale.

Quote:
"A Cook County judge acquitted a South Side father of murder Friday, saying he acted in self-defense when he fatally shot a man who had accosted him and his daughters at a bus stop last year."
http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.c...-shooting.html (original Article from Feb 2010)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,5578750.story (article about Charges being dismissed, July 2011)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2641629.story (an article also from the tribune with a few more details, July 2011)

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/07/...ted-of-murder/ (CBS Chicago article with even more details, July 2011)
Old July 15, 2011, 11:38 PM   #2
HoraceHogsnort

If things in IL are anything like they are in CA this poor sap is headed to civil court.
Old July 15, 2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Patriot86

It just boggles my mind that he has been in JAIL since February 2010, this mans life must be just about ruined.
Yeah in the end he got off, but at what cost?

I think the biggest implications are to (future) CCL holders in Illinois once the SCOTUS forces Illinois to adopt some kind of legal CCW.

I don't remember all the specifics of the following story it was some years ago, but this reminds me of the story of that guy who moved from NJ to NY and did not technically have all of his licences in order YET thought he was going through the process. He shot and killed an intruder and the local DA decided to try him for manslaughter because the "technical" illegality of the firearm.
Old July 16, 2011, 02:01 AM   #4
Carry_24/7

While IL is wrong with their gun laws, he was in jail for a year because:

1. It appears he illegally carried a gun.
2. There was probably some serious questions as to "why did he use deadly force?" "Did the other guy have a weapon or even threaten deadly force on his family, or was it a shoving match and he fired just in case?"

Yes, this case presents a warning to all, "have your ducks in a row before you carry a gun, (most exceptionaly before you present and use it), and be prepared to to be judged by 12 rather than carried by 6."

This case worked out in his favor this time, but it could have gone the other way very easily.

The only time two wrongs make a right is when it saves the life of a good guy, but that does not mean you won't pay any penalty. I think he got lucky with the IL CJ system.

Congrats to this guy and is family that all are safe and back together again.
Old July 16, 2011, 09:36 AM   #5
secret_agent_man

Quote:
Fullilove allegedly taunted Mayfield and then swung at him several times but missed
Any cop worth his or her salt would have opened fire in self defense at this point. I don't see a problem. Other than the fact that an entrenched judicial bureaucracy exists to cannibalize it's own citizens and had room for one more victim in this instance.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson called it, "The crime of the crime system."

No doubt.
Old July 16, 2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

I'm sorry but I wish folks would follow the rules on this - which are well known.

A link or series must have a significant analysis and summary (not a copy and paste) or it is a drive-by.

Posting a link and saying - OH, MY GOD, etc. - doesn't cut it.

The staff doesn't have the time to open each link, no matter how respectable looking, to see if it isn't dirty pictures, forbidden subjects, nazis, nutso, spam or the like.

A legit summary aids us.

Thus, closed.