The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 10, 2014, 11:28 AM   #1
DonTremaine

Winchester model 94

I have read many articles about the post 64 model 94s.
That is when they cut manufacturing costs. They stopped using forged steel for the receivers. There is some information that they went back to the steel forged receivers, but exactly when? I've heard anywhere between 1978 to somewhere in the 1990s. I have bought a 1989 AE XTR in 30-30. It has a checkered walnut stock. The receiver and all metal parts are perfect. The only defect is a small dent in the fore stock. It also has the link pin screw that was added back at some point.
Does anyone know the timeline where the receiver material had changes and the description of the change.
Thanks,
Don
Old September 10, 2014, 11:52 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

The receiver was changed to a sintered (form of cast) steel in post '64 94s.
The material could not be blued, was plated with iron which was then blued.

Not a durable finish, a lotta those receivers lying around today with rust & pitting.

Dates vary, some say 1982, but by 1985 the frames had been returned to forged steel that could be blued directly.
Denis
Old September 10, 2014, 12:14 PM   #3
DonTremaine

Thanks for the info. This information helps me.
I called Winchester/Browning in Utah and they say they have no idea because they were made by a different company when that change occurred.
Don
Old September 10, 2014, 12:25 PM   #4
OzeanJaeger

My 1903, M94 in .32 special is still running strong and has harvested more than 100 deer across four generations.
Old September 10, 2014, 12:38 PM   #5
DPris
Member Emeritus

Interesting, but confusing, comment from Browning.

The sintered receivers were originally made by the "old" Winchester company.
In the early 1980s the Winchester rifle operation was sold off & licensed to US Repeating Arms Company, which returned the receivers to forged steel.

USRAC was eventually bought by the Belgian FN combine that shut that plant down in 2006.

On behalf of FN, Browning (also owned by FN) acquired the licensing rights to the Winchester brand on the last go-round.
Winchesters are currently made in several locations, the '94 is done in Japan now.

There is no "Winchester" factory & it's largely just a name on products handled by Browning.

Surprising on one hand that you'd get a "Wasn't us, dunno" response from Browning, but I suppose on the other hand they're right.

USRAC told me in 1994 that the frames were forged by 1985.
Denis
Old September 10, 2014, 01:14 PM   #6
jmr40

Winchester was sold and the name changed to United States Repeating Arms Co. about 1979-1980. Not exactly sure. USRAC made a valiant effort to improve all of the guns. Not all changes were immediate, but basically most of the stuff made during the 1980's and 90's was pretty good.

At some point after 2000 quality started slipping again. Once again it was a gradual thing and not all guns made from 2000-2006 have issues. In fact most are just fine, but the odds of getting a lemon increase after 2000. And the closer to a 2006 manufacture date, the greater the odds.