The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 30, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Closing The Gap

Advice on a rifle appreciated

My son has decided he wants to move up from his Savage Mark II in .22lr to something more powerful. It will only be used for target shooting with a maximum distance available to us of 200yds. I want something reliable and accurate at that range for him that wont break the bank($400-$700 range including optics). As well as being chambered in a round that isnt pricey to shoot as we can spend entire days at the range. He prefers bolt actions but wouldnt rule anything out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also optics suggestions would be helpful too. Thanks in advance!
Old June 30, 2013, 09:57 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

.204 Can't beat it no recoil, submoa and great on varmints if you ever get a chance, it takes as much powder as a .223 which would be my 2nd choice, but the .204 is in one word awesome....
Old June 30, 2013, 09:59 PM   #3
NESHOOTER

but anymore these days nothing is cheap to shoot.... word to the wise.
Old June 30, 2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Texascoonhunter

RIFLE

I don't know of 1 kid that likes to be beat up when shooting. Shooting at the range is even worse with a kicking brute. Something small like the Marlin 357 Mag. is a great little lever rifle and not too hard on the pocket book. Rounds are easy to reload and he will be able to shoot out to 100 maybe out to 150 yards. It is lots of fun to shoot and not to hard on the pocket boot add in the price of a fair scope and you should be in the 700 dollar range or close. The rifle has no back up and it is short so he should be able to handle it with no problems. Good luck.
That is my 2 cents worth for what it is worth.
Old June 30, 2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Texascoonhunter

Rifle

Oh yes, I forgot to say 38 Specials will also fire in the 357 Mag. So there you go with a cheap round to work with.
Old June 30, 2013, 10:30 PM   #6
tahunua001

if he wants something with more power then a 204 is not much of a step up. 243 winchester is a good round. not as cheap as some but better than others, good enough for hunting any medium game in north america should he try his hand at that some day. not a great deal of kick but more than what he's probably used to with a 22 but great step up should he later decide to go with something bigger.

I started out with a 243 and killed my first deer and first buck with it. I know it'll mostly kill paper and it's a very flat shooting cartridge and great for target shooting as well.

a Ruger American would run you less than your $400 budget and would leave you a lot room for good optics before you hit your $700 cap.
Old July 1, 2013, 12:47 AM   #7
big al hunter

I would say any cartridges 243 win and smaller, just for less recoil. With the shortage of 223 ammo I would have to say the 243 would be my choice, but I'm not you or your son. For optics vortex has good selections but you can look for yourself here vortexoptics.com best warranty around.
Old July 1, 2013, 05:21 AM   #8
4runnerman

How old is son?. A 223 would be the next step IMHO. Depending on your son. A 243 has a little bite in the recoil. Nothing huge,but keep that in mind. As for ammo,223 ammo is starting to fill the shelves around here again (finally). Cost wise, reloading 223 will be cheaper and 200 yards is a cake walk for it.
Old July 1, 2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Closing The Gap

My son is 12 and his 10 year old brother may want to try it too. I for personal reasons(I want one) like the marlin .357 suggestion. But after further research with my son involved we are leaning towards a Weatherby Vanguard s2 in .223 or something similar. The price range I put on it was more to keep him in line than myself. Secretly I'm hoping he will want to move up to a Ruger Gunsite Scout next.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Any others are still appreciated since we will be taking more time in research and decision making before the actual purchase. Whatever he decides is a win in my book. It shows his interest in shooting is growing plus his collection moves up to 4, a .22 semi auto pistol, a .22 semi auto rifle, a .22 bolt action and the new one.

Last edited by Closing The Gap; July 1, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old July 1, 2013, 08:46 AM   #10
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing The Gap

My son has decided he wants to move up from his Savage Mark II in .22lr to something more powerful. It will only be used for target shooting with a maximum distance available to us of 200yds. I want something reliable and accurate at that range for him that wont break the bank($400-$700 range including optics). As well as being chambered in a round that isnt pricey to shoot as we can spend entire days at the range. He prefers bolt actions but wouldnt rule anything out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also optics suggestions would be helpful too. Thanks in advance!
The .223 Savage Axis, available with (package) or w/o scope, and with black or camo stocks: http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_edge_detail.htm

A separate 2-7x32 scope is least expensive online @ SWFA: www.swfa.com

Old July 1, 2013, 09:13 AM   #11
AllenJ

I don't think you'll be disappointed with a Vanguard S2. I have one in 243 Winchester and I'm very happy with it. My gun shoots sub MOA with the proper reloads (I've never shot factory rounds through it) and it is a very well built gun for the money in my opinion.
Old July 1, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
tahunua001

vanguards are good guns. I like mine but then again it's a S1 in 300 weatherby mag so it's almost like comparing apples to bananas
Old July 3, 2013, 09:31 PM   #13
steveNChunter

Quote:
we are leaning towards a Weatherby Vanguard s2 in .223
yes. Good choice

Take a hard look at Savage as well.

as for optics, I will admit I'm more into the "hunting style" scopes than the LR target or "tactical" variety. From my experience with them, I recommend a Burris Fullfield II or E1. Either the 3-9x50 or 4.5-14x42. I have always found Burris to be a scope comparable to other scopes that cost twice as much. Very clear, bright, and durable. When shooting paper, the more magnification the better IMO. If he ever plans on strecthing the range out past 200 yards, (he probably will) the 6.5-20x50 would be nice.

The Vortex Diamondback is also a very good scope for the money.

I'm sure there are other great scopes out there for you and your son's needs, I just haven't had experience with all of them
Old July 6, 2013, 11:26 AM   #14
MattShlock

There are so many good yet inexpensive .223 bolt available from Mossberg, Howa, Savage, etc., many with scope included (even a Nikon in one "hunting" designated one) and adjustable triggers -- some a little better than others but all close and decent.

These are the way to go and I'd spend the little more they are asking for the better kit. He will have this gun for life which you should make a stipulation because he will regret ever selling it at some point if he does.
Old July 6, 2013, 05:53 PM   #15
Boomer58cal

Well I'm not big on. 223/5.56 as a hunting round for anything much bigger than a coyote, it is a great little target or varmint round. Cheap, available, accurate, has low recoil, and you can get it chambered in almost any rifle made today.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer58cal; July 6, 2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: can't type