The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which Kimber Special Edition
Sapphire 5 41.67%
Amethyst 1 8.33%
Diamond 1 8.33%
Onyx 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 10, 2016, 12:39 PM   #26
Dain Bramage

From the OP, the question really seems to be, out of the special editions, based on availability, why does Kimber think customers prefer Sapphire? Is it reciprocated here?

And thanks, Kimber haters, for making a relative newcomer feel welcome. For some reason, the wording of the title is making the mean goats want to chew tin cans.
Old November 10, 2016, 05:47 PM   #27
Skans

^^^^.....I guess I am one of those "mean goats". You make a good point - maybe a little too much unnecessary Kimber hate here.
Old November 10, 2016, 06:31 PM   #28
Dain Bramage

Awww...you're okay. Real mean goats don't apologize.

I don't even have a dog in this fight. I don't own any Kimbers. Sometimes the parental urges just come out.
Old November 11, 2016, 01:46 AM   #29
t45

I'm not much on specialty colors. I'll still with black or stainless or a combination of the two.
Old November 13, 2016, 01:11 AM   #30
hemiram

I'll pass on Kimber, period. Not a 1911 fan at all. The special editions are just...tacky.
Old November 13, 2016, 01:21 AM   #31
Gunslick

When i was buying my Springfield 1911A1 Stainless it was a toss-up between that and a Kimber custom II. I am really glad I did not get the Kimber. I hear a lot of bad things about them now days, well I have witnessed on 2 different occasions where a Kimber 1911 failed. Crappy MIM parts. Thumb safety broke on one of them and a sear on the other.
Old November 13, 2016, 03:37 AM   #32
marine6680

I'm not sure I would bother with a dazzled up 1911 for defense.

Now if it was a full size and I wanted a collector piece safe queen that just looked good... Maybe then.

I prefer purple, but the amethyst version is too light of a shade for me. I like a deep purple.

The Onyx isn't too bad though.

The sapphire is bright and attention getting without being a color that could be perceived as heavily gendered... That is likely why it is more appealing to a larger set of people.
Old November 13, 2016, 07:33 AM   #33
CajunBass

I think the sapphire one is pretty sharp looking. I've seen them in the all sizes from a tiny 380, to a Commander size to full size by the way. I've seriously considered buying one myself, but I know I wouldn't shoot it. It would just be a safe queen, so frankly I wouldn't give two hoots in Hades if Kimber built a "good" gun or not. I never will because they're just too expensive, especially in the bigger sizes for me to do that.

I might buy one of the little 380's for my wife. She likes them too. She'd never shoot it. A piece of jewelry to her.

She likes the white/turquoise/nickel one also. I call it "The 57 Chevy" model.

And the OP might be right. My LGS can't keep them in stock, so somebody is buying them. My wife asked about them the other day and was told they had nine on order.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 13, 2016, 11:06 AM   #34
larryh1108

If company K sells 10x more 1911s than company S then it goes to reason that company K will have 10x more problem guns than company S, if the failure rates are the same. If company K has a 50% better rate of lemons then it will still have 5x more bad guns than company S. Many people just can't grasp this concept. So, if company K has a failure rate 1/2 than that of company S it will still have a lot more lemons on the market and a lot more bad posts on the internet boards.