The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2015, 07:32 PM   #1
condor bravo

Sources for cast lead rifle bullets

For reduced rifle loads for a variety of calibers, I use Trail Boss powder and an assortment of cast lead bullets. Since the former #1 source for lead rifle bullets, Montana Bullet Works, is no longer available, I had to run to the internet to find other sources. Suppliers of cast rifle bullets are almost non-existent but I found and have used the following three:
(I first posted a forum request for possible sources but no replies were received.) Hopefully this information will be beneficial to others.

1) Moyers Cast Bullets in Pa now has to be the #1 supplier of cast lead rifle bullets. Not only does Moyer have an excellent and extensive bullet supply, but great delivery. A recent telephone order for three bullet types was shipped two days later by USPS.

2) Western Bullet Co. in Montana has quite a good selection of cast rifle bullets and I especially like their .338s and .416s but delivery has been bad. A recent order took three months. The problem was that they no longer carried the .338 I had specified and they needed to substitute another. However I was not notified of this and didn't find out about it until I called them about the delay.

3) Beartooth Bullets in Idaho has a good selection of the bullets. I have used them only once for a three bullet selection order that took six weeks to fill.

Most all bullets from the sources are gas checked and prices are pretty close to the same, averaging around $22 per hundred, with Western having somewhat better prices.

Last edited by condor bravo; June 3, 2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old May 30, 2015, 07:57 PM   #2
condor bravo

Addendum to the above:
Moly coated cast handgun and a few cast rifle bullets, none are gas checked, can be obtained from Bear Creek Supply at Waterford, Ca. The rifle bullets include a .458 and about five others. It is odd that Bear Creek does not have a web site. To place an order call them at 209-874-4322, let them know what you want and see how close they can come. I have successfully used the rifle moly coats but have not had to order from them. I have a local source that is only a 25 minute drive away.

In the meantime, Montana Bullet Works owner Dave Jennings has the business up for sale, and he indicates that in addition to equipment and customer lists, 400,000 bullets are there waiting to be sized and lubed. But while we are waiting for a buyer, pass along any sources of cast rifle bullets that you are familiar with or aware of.

Here's something else on Western Bullet Co. Even though their bullet selection is not the greatest and delivery leaves much to be desired, the web site shows over 70 varities of handgun and rifle brass--Remington, Winchester, Starline and others, so Western may be a better source for brass than bullets.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 30, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old May 30, 2015, 09:10 PM   #3
Blindstitch

I get cast for my 30-30 from Acme Bullet Company in Germantown, Wisconsin. I'm only 30 miles away so I drive up there.
Old May 30, 2015, 09:37 PM   #4
condor bravo

Thanks, I checked out their web site. Hadn't come across Acme before.
Old May 31, 2015, 08:48 AM   #5
snuffy

http://www.missouribullet.com/result...s=0&category=6

MBC, (Missouri Bullet Company), has some. Link is to his rifle boolit page, he also has many other pistol boolits. He recently started doing the Hi-tek coating of his boolits, but still offers the traditional lubed.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 31, 2015, 09:50 AM   #6
Salmoneye

Penn Bullets
Old May 31, 2015, 11:59 AM   #7
condor bravo

Salmoneye and snuffy:
Yes, had previously checked out both Penn and Missouri. Some limited possibilities. Bullets from both sources do not appear to preferably be gas checked.

The main bullets that I have found lacking are 6.5mm/.264s. Need 120 gr or less for stabilization with Trail Boss for both 6.5mm Rem mag and .264 Win mag. Lighest I have found are 135s from Beartooth but these are too long or not getting the velocity. So I have had to use 120 gr jacketed for Trail Boss loads with those calibers.

Ouch, got "M-1 thumb" from the Garand yesterday. Not at all fun but had a glove on or could have been worse.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 31, 2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:34 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

If you're in a hurry, then go with whatever you can get.

If you want some of the best, place an order and wait for Gale to fill your order at Beartooth. The current backlog is approximately 12-14 weeks. ...Not because they're slow; but because people can't get enough of their bullets.
Don't be afraid to call, if you don't see a sizing option that you want. And, in a few calibers, they do have a few molds on hand that are not listed on the website.
Old May 31, 2015, 01:23 PM   #9
condor bravo

FrankenMauser:
Yes by all means, Beartooth at Dover, Id is one of the preferred three on my list. I guess I could call and ask if they could furnish 120 gr 6.5mms, although their standard listed 6.5 was 135.

Last edited by condor bravo; May 31, 2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old June 1, 2015, 09:56 AM   #10
pbcaster45

I use cast rifle bullets from Leadheads.

http://www.proshootpro.com/
Old June 1, 2015, 10:27 AM   #11
condor bravo

Pbcaster45:
Testimonials are good for Leadheads and many bullets must be gas-checked according to their literature but was unable to pull up a menu showing the selections. They do appear to be a good potential source (I had pulled them up earlier). I appreciate the reply.

Late addendum:
Since Leadheads seems like such a good source, I emailed for a brochure of data and something is being sent by mail.

Last edited by condor bravo; June 2, 2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old June 2, 2015, 02:55 PM   #12
condor bravo

Follow up to above:

Well I have to take it back; just click on the Leadhead's web page "order" button to bring up the bullet menu. Handgun shooters will be in good shape but only about three rifle caliber bullets are shown. So for now my original three sources of cast rifle bullets still stand as the best I have found.
Old June 3, 2015, 09:06 PM   #13
condor bravo

I'm beginning to appreciate more and more the cast rifle bullet selections available from Western but ordering can be frustrating. It's best to try to place a phone order and try to find out how long an order might take, but much of the time the phone goes unanswered (and this has been a complaint from many). The best times to try seem to be mid to late afternoon, Pacific time. You can also do an on-line order, probably less frustrating, but either way I guess payment must be made through PayPal, most annoying. Just entering any other credit card data does not suffice. But keep in mind my earlier comment that Western could very well be an excellent source for handgun and rifle brass. They list 70 some calibers but all may not be available at any one time.

Later addendum:
Well, follow up confirming email for today's on-line order seems to indicate that it is not necessary to pay by PayPal. They just seem to encourage it.

Last edited by condor bravo; June 3, 2015 at 11:05 PM.