The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 6, 2008, 03:57 AM   #1
lt dan

What Do You Think About Rem 770 For Africa

I can get a remington mod 770 new in a local gun shop. it is still old stock and i am satisfied with the price. it comes with what remington calls a "Ready to hunt right out of the box". it has a bushnell 3-9x40. it will be my first synthetic stock as i love wood. it is a 243win. i will be buying this rifle for my wife as her premium hunting rifle for small game. however i will be shooting with it most of the time and will use it as a varmint rifle and for hunting wart-hog. since we do most of our varmint hunting at night i will go for an other scope dimension. now as you all know varmint hunting at night requires a very acurate rifle. i look the rifle over and was satisfied with the smooth bolt action and general look of the gun. do any of you have experience of this product especially the acuracy? it seems that it is seen as acurate but not as acurate as the mod 700. now how much should i worry about this. remember due to local gun laws i cant realy go into a buying and selling mode untill i am satisfied, i need to get it right the first time. just as for my other rifles i will also reload for the reminghton 243 should i decide to buy it.
Old November 6, 2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Doyle

Do a search on comments on the 770 (and it's former model number 710) then you'll run away.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:38 AM   #3
300magman

yeah, I've never owned one, but I held one at the store and the fit finsh didn't really please me. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the 710, the 770's a slightly modified update (but so have I heard such bad things about my model 597 and I'm happy with it)
But I think it comes down to this, if your the kind of guy who can afford to hunt in Africa with your wife then chances are you can find a couple of hundred extra bucks somewhere to get a 700SPS and put a decent scope on it (something you said you were going to do anyway, which negates part of the "bargain" of the 770 package anyway) If your budget is tight, try finding cheaper transportation, fly one seat class lower and use the extra bucks for a nice gun. Heck, quit smoking/ drinking for a month and there's your extra $$$ right there if you have such habbits.
Just my oppinion, but then I get cranky when my gun doesn't do exactly what I want it to do, and if I were far far from home in africa it might be heartbreaking to realize I don't have a weapon that satisfys me.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:41 AM   #4
300magman

Sorry...didn't realize your From South Africa until after my post. My answer could have been different now that I know your not going away for the trip of a lifetime.
I still favor the 700sps and scope of your choice....but I'm sure there are those out there who have 770's and are reasonably pleased, it is a bit of a waste to buy a scope/rifle package only to have to replace the scope though.
FYI the factory scope on my 597 is an absolute POS! But then, that is just a lowly .22 rimfire.
Old November 6, 2008, 01:29 PM   #5
lt dan

man oh man you guys sure? i almost put down a deposit today. now it looks like it is back to looking for something els. the scope doesnt bother me my father -in-law has a 250-3000 witout a scope so i will put the scope on that rifle. as i do a lot of night shooting i will go for something like a 3-9x56. that is not the piont as the combo is cheaper than what i will pay for a howa or zastava without scopes. the question is will this rifle group consistant to such a level that i can hunt at night and when we harvest we shoot about 30 springbuck a night per hunter. can this rifle do this? local remington owners seems satisfied.
Old November 6, 2008, 02:07 PM   #6
j.chappell

Quote:
local remington owners seems satisfied
Ask them what they shoot, chances are they use 700's. I would not buy a 770. I realize that the 770 is cheap when compared to other rifles but have you ever asked yourself why you can get a rifle with a scope for less than another rifle?

You mentioned a Howa, I'd take the Howa hands down. Since you do have to watch what and how you perchase firearms in your area I'd look long and hard at a rifle before I'd puchase it. The 770 would not be my choice in this instance. If it does not perform as needed how easy would it be to sell it and buy another? I'd rather buy a higher quality rifle than take my chances with the 770.

J.