The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2005, 07:45 PM   #1
cgpro856

Excessive Pressure?

I just got home from the range. I shot a box of winchester WIN-CLEAN .357 MAGNUM and I'm confused about pressure signs. I was under the impression that flattened primers and primers that flowed back into the firing pin hole were sure signs of too much pressure. These factory loads totally flattened the primers (so much that they flowed out of the pocket and a little bit across the base of the case, and back into the primer hole). No primers were punctured and no cases split, but I have always stopped my reloads at the point that they just started to flatten the primers enough to square off the edges. Does this mean that I can go hotter on my reloads or are these factory loads what would be considered too hot??

What do you guys look for as far a pressure signs go?

btw, I also shot a few from my buddies gun and they looked the same as mine, so It's not my gun that caused the flattened primers.

Thanks,
Chris P.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:03 PM   #2
LHB1

Sounds to me like either those rounds are hotter than normal loads OR they use a softer than normal batch of primers OR some of both.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old May 3, 2005, 11:45 PM   #3
Sturm

I would mic the casehead if there are questions concering overpressure. Flattened primers on their own do not automatically indicate overpressure. if you don't have a mic, use the sharp edges of your dial calipers .200" above the case rim. You will of course need a dimension for comparison from cases that are in spec, from factory ammo, or cases you have resized. The reloading manuals list the spec diameter of .391", so don't be shocked if yours are a couple thousandths smaller. Most everything I run into these days seems to be slightly smaller than spec dimension in length and diameter!
Old May 7, 2005, 09:56 AM   #4
41special

I've had the same concern with my .41 MAG loads for years now.

Here's how I finally solved it :

I'd been flattening the primers in my M415 for months no matter how low I went within reason, they still went flat.

But in 8-10 reloads, the cases never split and neither did the primers.

So I figure, in that gun, primers flattened means next to nothing.

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"
Old May 9, 2005, 12:36 AM   #5
Kayser

Winclean is a very hot load. The first time I put some through my Python indoors, I could not believe the flame generated. Both muzzle flash and cylinder gap flames. I've avoided it since then - plain jane WWB for my range ammo.
Old May 9, 2005, 12:15 PM   #6
Leftoverdj

Decap one of those WinClean Cases, and you will see why the primers are flat. Those cases have hugely oversized flash holes. Win musta had their reasons for doing it that way, but I dunno what they were, and I don't consider those cases reloadable.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:00 AM   #7
Paul B.

Leftover, those cases are reloadable. I have a bunch of them in .45 ACP and I've been reloading them with no problem. Didn't even have to change the load, although I did drop back and work back up.
Winchester even acknowledges that they are reloadable and you know how they feel about reloading.
Paul B.
Old May 10, 2005, 01:15 PM   #8
Leftoverdj

Paul, you go right ahead. I'm the cautious sort and have cases. Five, ten years down the road if you adventurous types don't have any trouble, I'll consider using those cases.

I'm not criticizing anyone who reloads Win-Clean, just saying that huge flash hole makes me nervous and it's gonna be somebody other than me who reloads them for a while.