The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 9, 2011, 07:24 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'd MUCH sooner hunt them with a 22mag than 12ga birdshot.
Old September 9, 2011, 09:36 PM   #27
Hog Buster

Use bird shot for pig hunting?............. Yeah, when pigs fly..........
Old September 9, 2011, 09:58 PM   #28
1911rocks

Hogbuster's reply

That was funny I don't care who you are!!
Old September 10, 2011, 12:45 AM   #29
C0untZer0

Quote:
Use bird shot for pig hunting?............. Yeah, when pigs fly..........
nice one...
Old September 10, 2011, 02:40 AM   #30
bamaranger

similar

We have a similat situation in AL. On public lands, only the firearm legal for the specific season at hand is legal for hogs. Thus, in small game season, only a shotgun w/ bird shot ( the reg gives a specific size) or a rimfire rifle is legal a lot of the times, .......or bows.......or muzzle loaders UNDER .40 cal.

Guys who want to hunt hogs on the WMA's during small game seasons are for the most part using scoped .22 mags w/ heavy bullets, some even FMJ, and aiming for the neck skull junction/base of ear.

I would not intentially brace a hog at any range w/ fine shot from a shot gun, would not really trust buck past 25-30 yds from a tight choked gun, and would prefer a slug or real rifle.
Old September 10, 2011, 08:44 AM   #31
wpcexpert

Quote:
My post was more in response to the one suggesting the lethality of 3.5" #4 at 10 yards...
Check the post, I said 10 feet.

Whatever guys, It was a hypothetical situation that I would be more than comfortable being in. Also, I don't know why one would assume I would be killing the biggest baddest hog I could find. Either way, at 10 FEET and 2 oz of lead, no matter if solid or in small pieces, is going to put a long deep whole in a critter.

Nuff on the subject, its a moot subject.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old September 10, 2011, 01:46 PM   #32
LSnSC

Ive killed a couple of hogs while turkey hunting. They wandered into my setup and got a load of copper plated #5's between the blinkers. DRT. At short range, 20 yds or less, with a tight choke it will kill the snot out of them.
Watched a friend roll two with Hevi Shot Dead Coyote loads Range was about 25 yds and shot was to head and neck. All were pigs about 50-60 lbs. Not my first choice of loads but they worked.

FWIW, A shotgun with buckshot kills the crap out of them if the user is at least moderately competent. Ive killed dozens with #1 buck out of a Beretta 390.
Old September 10, 2011, 02:41 PM   #33
MLeake

Depends where you are hunting, and on your luck. I've been out on days where the small hogs were 125lbs, and the big ones in the 250-300lb class.

As far as whether you'd go looking for the biggest, baddest hog, wpcexpert, in a way that doesn't matter.

I've known more than a couple of people who've shot one hog, only to have others come at them, instead of running away. I'd say the norm is that they'll scatter. Then again, I've had somebody else scatter a couple big ones right at me before.

If you go out in hog country, no matter what you are looking for, you may just run into that big, bad hog you didn't really want. I'd rather not do that with a birdshot load.
Old September 10, 2011, 03:22 PM   #34
graysmoke

I only hunt large Hog with my .357 Ruger Black Hawk handgun.
Up to 20 feet - one shot in the head is just fine.....Of-course you got to be an accurate shooter.
Old September 11, 2011, 02:19 AM   #35
natman

It sounds like what's going on is this - there's no season on hogs. However, there are seasonal gun and ammo restrictions for hunting other animals. In order to keep people from violating the gun and ammo restrictions by claiming "I'm hunting hogs", Fish and Game has decreed that you have to use whatever ammo is in season at the time. As far as I am concerned, that means you can't hunt hogs during birdshot season, because it's not going to be suitable for hogs at any time of the year.
Old September 11, 2011, 08:37 AM   #36
Grant D

This is from Texas Parks and Wildlife......

How do I hunt feral hogs?

Although feral hogs are not classified as game animals, a hunting license is required to hunt them. Feral hogs are very intelligent and considered to be challenging quarry. Many hunters consider the long tusks and mean appearance a genuine trophy, in addition to the quality of meat. They also provide a great off-season challenge and opportunities to hone hunting skills and spend time in the field.

There are many hunting techniques used, including stand hunting over a baited area, quite often incidental to white-tailed deer hunting. Stalking or still hunting over baited areas and areas indicating recent hog activity, such as wallows, are commonly used techniques. Corn or milo, often soaked in water and allowed to sour and then buried underground is good bait.

Night hunting with a spotlight is often used; however, the local game warden must be notified beforehand. (There are certain laws which prohibit using artificial light where deer are known to range.) Hunting with well-trained dogs is another hunting method utilized and can be very exciting. Because the feral hog has such a tough hide the best rifle calibers to use should be a .243 or greater to prevent wounding and loss of the animal. Bowhunting, muzzleloading, and handguns are also popular among sportsmen to hunt feral hogs.

I've hunted hogs in my backyard here in Texas and I've never heard of a caliber restriction on hog hunting in this state.
A guy I work with uses dogs and a Bowie knife!
( I use my 30-30 )
Old September 11, 2011, 10:10 PM   #37
banditt007

I have your solution. STEEL slugs = non-toxic. Enjoy.

http://www.ddupleks.lv/EN/articles/show/products
Old September 13, 2011, 10:34 AM   #38
SRH78

I would be very suprised if you are not allowed to hunt with archery equipment, which would be your best bet.
Old September 13, 2011, 02:17 PM   #39
stegar1

here is the reg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reg.JPG (59.4 KB, 32 views)

Semper Fi
Old September 13, 2011, 03:03 PM   #40
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well there you go. Slugs are specifically allowed for hogs.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:37 AM   #41
natman

Shotgun Only Feral Hots: Shotguns with any size shot including buckshot or slugs are allowed.
Means Restriction: Except for feral hog hunts, firearms are restricted to shotguns with non-toxic shot or no larger than #4 shot.

I figured it would become clearer once the actual regs were posted.
Old September 14, 2011, 08:09 AM   #42
stegar1

The only specific hog hunt is over today well untill Jan .after that you have to use the means that corresponds with the current hunt. It is illegal to have buck shot on you unless otherwise stated. You cant hunt birds with slugs. You can only use a bow during WTD bow season

Semper Fi
Old September 14, 2011, 08:13 AM   #43
MLeake

If there is still doubt over verbiage, it probably wouldn't hurt to just ask the local game wardens / DNR / Fish and Game / whatever term TX uses.

After all, they are the ones who will cite or arrest you in the field.