The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 11:49 PM   #1
ruttinbuck

Need some help with my Kimber

I was hoping to get some info for a relativity new shooter. I was at the range shooting my Kimber Ultra Carry ll. The problem I had was after filling my clip and adding clip to the gun I tried to release the slide lock to chamber the round and it locked up. This happened multiple times. I also tried to sling shot (I think this is the correct term?) the slide and it did the same thing. I have not shot the gun in a few months. I was shooting the Winchester FMJ in the white box. Is this something I should be worried about? Is it the ammo? This has me kinda worried. On a side note, I had some rounds in the clip I used while I carry and there was no issues on the one clip I used. Can anyone enlighten me on this issue.
Old January 9, 2013, 12:04 AM   #2
Creeper

Is the gun as new as you are? If so, call Kimber to get it inspected and repaired under warranty. It's probably just a magazine problem, but if the warranty is good, might as well have them take a look on their dime.

C
Old January 9, 2013, 02:35 AM   #3
Theohazard

So your feeding problem only occurred with that one magazine? If your other one doesn't cause problems it's probably an issue with just that one magazine, though you might want to try others to make sure. If it turns out it's only happening with that one magazine then you've mostly likely identified the problem and Kimber should replace it for you.

(On a side note, your Kimber uses "magazines", not "clips". A clip is a different thing and is used by very few modern firearms. I apologize if I'm coming across as pedantic; that's not my intention. I just figure as a new shooter you'd appreciate the information.)
Old January 9, 2013, 07:32 AM   #4
kimbers rule

I would try a new mag before I sent it back to kimber. Maby a wilson combat or kimpro tac-mag. Also some lube might help. You make it sound like it diddn't do this before you stored it. Might need to break in a little bit to.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:14 AM   #5
ruttinbuck

Lol I knew I would screw up the terminology....thanks! This gun is fairly new but has about 300 rounds through it. I only have one magazine for it. I'm leaning on the ammo or the gun as issue. I will buy another brand and try out Sunday when I get back out. Thanks for the info.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Theohazard

OK, if your gun only has 300 rounds thought it you might just need to break it in more. If I remember correctly, yours is the 3" barrel size; those can be a little more finicky than the larger-sized 1911s and may require a longer break-in period.

If you get to the 500 round mark and you're still having issues, it might be the magazine or maybe even the ammo. I doubt it's the ammo; Winchester White Box is pretty standard stuff, but you never know. Also, the magazine most Kimbers come with isn't the best, but it should work fine. And if all else fails, send it back to Kimber.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Arocholl

Kimber Mag Problems

I have a Kimber Stainless Pro TLE (4" barrel) and mine is also fairly new (>500 rounds through it); but I haven't had a single problem yet. The first thing I did (at the advice of a coworker and fellow Kimber owner) was replace the factory magazine with one from Wilson Combat. They are great quality magazines and from what I can tell so far greatly enhance reliability.

I paid $31.95 for each mag at the shop where I got the gun for about $300 under msrp.
Old January 9, 2013, 02:07 PM   #8
BigJimP

Its probably a mag problem ....borrow a wilson combat mag from a buddy ...or just buy one / because chances are you're going to need some extra mags anyway ...

I've thrown all of my Kimber mags out ...and replaced them with Wilson mags...and all those kinds of issues went away.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:40 PM   #9
ruttinbuck

Im gonna get another mag from a buddy and compare. Thanks for all the input and I'll report what I find.