The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2011, 06:49 AM   #1
DRice.72

300 Win mag bullets

What do those of you who shoot this caliber use for a hunting bullet, and if different, a practice bullet? Do you load them differently?
Old November 3, 2011, 08:43 AM   #2
PawPaw

I don't shoot a .300 Magum, but maybe my experience will help. My sons and I shoot a lot of 168 Matchkings in .308 or .30-06 when we're doing load development. Once we settle on a load, it's an easy task to move to a 165/168 hunting bullet. I normally use either Gamekings or Hornady bullets for hunting. I find that the point of impact is really close. I'll fine-tune the hunting rifle in the late summer, but generally switching from target bullets to hunting bullets only requires a couple of clicks one way or the other.

Quote:
What do those of you who shoot this caliber use for a hunting bullet
That's a whole 'nuther question, and one that you'll have to decide for yourself. There are lots of great hunting bullets in .30 caliber, some expensive, some less expensive. There are monolithic bullets, bonded bullets, standard bullets, Partition type bullets, and the choice is all dependent on the game, the range, and what your personal preferences might be. But, as long as you stick with one weight bullet for practice and use that same weight bullet for hunting, you'll find that the rifle generally shoots fairly close to the same point of impact.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 3, 2011, 09:12 AM   #3
DRice.72

Thanks Pawpaw,

I was thinking I would need to develop two loads. One for target using a less expensive bullet, and one for hunting using a premium bullet. I'm hunting light skinned game on the East coast, so I do not think I need a massive bullet,or one that is bonded or even one of those core-loc it things.

My rifle seems to like the Winchester Super X CPX2 165gr. I'm hoping to do some research to find a cast bullet close to this for my hunting round. Then develop the charge that makes this bullet perform how I'd like it to for sub 300 yrd mid-size game hunting.

Seeing how I have never done any of this. Does this seem like a reasonable place to start?
Old November 3, 2011, 10:16 AM   #4
PawPaw

I've been googling around and I don't see any Winchester Super-X 165 grain ammo listed, but that's no never-mind.

That factory ammo is probably pushing that bullet at something like 3000 fps and with a normal cast lead bullet you're not going to get nearly that velocity. I'm doing well to get 1800 fps from my cast bullets in my .30-30, but I use a rather indifferent technique and some folks who are more precise in their technique might do better. Still, the .300 Win Mag isn't generally considered to be a cast bullet cartridge.

Actually, for thinned skin game, it's hard to beat the Remington Core-Lokt, and that's one of the less expensive bullets on the market. When I'm comparing vendors, I like to look at the cost per bullet. Midway USA has them for about $26.00 per hundred, which isn't bad for bullets.

Other vendors have less expensive bullets. There's one that's come to my attention recently, RMR Reloading. You can get bullets from him for about 18 cents apiece. Other vendors offer good deals and you need to shop around for those deals. They come and go, and we're always looking for a bargain on good bullets.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 3, 2011, 10:56 AM   #5
tom234

I don't consider .300 Win Mag a plinker or a practice round. Practice with a smaller cartridge like a .223. I'd pick the bullet you're going to hunt with your .300 and then stick with it. I settled on 180 gr and, once dialed in, haven't changed. Just check your sight in by shooting a couple shots before hunting to verify nothing has changed.
Old November 3, 2011, 11:04 AM   #6
PA-Joe

Hornady Interbonds. 165 or 180 gr
Old November 3, 2011, 11:37 AM   #7
black mamba

Unless you load your magnum to lower pressures and velocities, you will need pretty tough bullets to penetrate and not fragment on game. For thin skinned, medium game under 300 yds, just load to 30-06 velocity with 165 gr Core-Lokts or Hornady Interlocks (both are relatively inexpensive) and have at it. All the power and trajectory you need, without great recoil or expense. It's why reloading is so good.
Old November 3, 2011, 11:41 AM   #8
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
My son has taken a couple dozen deer with his .300WM , with several different bullets ! For the last three years all we've loaded for it is Barnes 168 Gr. TSX . He swears by them , he says to aim where you want the bullet to exit , and it will . A bonded or monolithic bullet will destroy less meat at Magnum velocities than a Cup&Core bullet will . Plus the fact that c&c bullets can perform erraticly at high velocities .
Old November 3, 2011, 12:16 PM   #9
DRice.72

Oops, that Winchester ammo was 150 gr.

This is the only rifle I have other than a .22. It's also the only scoped rifle I own. I need practice with a scope. I would most likely shoot something else if I had it. And I don't think I'll be worse off getting good at shooting my hunting rifle.

If I understand what you guys are saying. In order for a bullet to withstand magnum pressures it will have to be pretty hard, unless I load way down.
Old November 3, 2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Loader9

I'd suggest since you generally don't get a 300 Mag out when hunting short yardage, to load the Remington 150 Cor-Loks. They are as good as any high dollar bullet out there but significantly cheaper to buy. And as long as nobody tells them, they think they are match grade in accuracy. Works fabulous in our South Texas hunting environments.
Old November 3, 2011, 12:41 PM   #11
DRice.72

Thanks

I wasn't looking for a magnum when I bought this. I was really looking for a .308. This just popped up and I thought in my feeble mind. Hmm, this can be loaded for near anything on the North American continent. Lower velocity and weight for smaller game like we have here in Western North Carolina. Loaded heavier and greater for Moose or Elk out west.

I really like the idea of developing loads for different uses.

And I will shoot this gun a lot. I just love shooting it. I get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I pull the trigger. Either I like it or that is the blood rushing back into my arm!
Old November 3, 2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Hog Buster

I agree about the Remington 150 grain Cor-Lokts. Keep the velocity a little below the speed of light...... Somewhere below 3000 fps and they will work fine.

I also agree that a .300 Mag isn’t a plinking rifle, so plink with something else. But, when sighting in the 300 for hunting use the load and bullet you plan to hunt with. A little practice never hurts either and it won’t cost you an arm and a leg shooting Cor-Lokts.
Old November 3, 2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Jimro

I found that 168gr Nosler CT Ballistic Tips shot "close enough" to the 168 gr Nosler BTHP in 300 Win Mag to make for "cheaper" practice with the match bullets which I bought in bulk.

Jimro
Old November 3, 2011, 06:47 PM   #14
Saint Dennis

Our white tails are a little bigger up here in the North Star State, but I load 200 gr. Accubonds for everything. Same load for deer, elk, moose or zombies. I tried the lighter bullets (165 gr ballistic tips). Man, them things are smoking fast out of a Winnie. Fine if the deer is out there a ways, but at short ranges have a tendency to blow up. Killed the deer, but not optimum performance to be sure. I just read an article on "reduced loads" that shot to same p.o.i. as "real loads". Can't recall where but maybe Reloader Magazine. Google it and you may find it. A blaster like the Winnie only has so many shots in her. Use them wisely my friend. Good luck
Old November 5, 2011, 09:55 AM   #15
jdillon

For many years I shot Sierra's with good success but recently switched over to Berger VLD's and very iimpressed by their performance. Most of our shots are long (300+) where we hunt. My hunting buddies 14 year old son dropped an Oryx at 318 yds with a single shot using 155 gr. VLD'S. Animal bolted 45 yds then rolled up and was dead by the time we reached her. These are tough animals.
Old November 7, 2011, 05:46 PM   #16
castnblast

I did both. I had my 300 for elk and nilgai hunting. I used hornady 165gr BTSPS and had great luck with them. I'd also look at Berger VLD's. They are not that much more expensive and will retain velocity down range. Best powders for me were RL 22 and H1000. I also used 150 gr BTSPS but you will get less drop way down range going with the 165's

Edited
I bought the gun for the above mentioned purpose but also used for whitetail and feral hogs. I liked the down range punch, but disliked how it punched me back. I got rid of it and use 243 270 for those purposes and my 7mag for elk/nilgai

Last edited by castnblast; November 7, 2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention