The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2015, 07:04 PM   #1
mendozer

2X Bench!

I needed to re-do my bench because the desk I had was too flimsy. Built this in two days using 2x materials largely. I chose it because it's simple (Scandinavian design...meh), cheap and rugged. I ended up adding Masonite on the top as my 2x12 work surface ended up a bit short on the frame. Miscalculation on my part. That's what happens when the wife is out of town and you spend 14 hours a day in the garage.
Power strip, wired shop light, lag bolted to the studs in my office, etc.
I made it 25" high, the same as my computer desk, so I can just swivel around and use it.

T nuts secured underneath to accept my hand knobs for fastening the presses down.

The knobs from JW Winco. 1" because the Hornady slot on the left has less clearance.

The very scientific and slightly redneck "Let me get up on this thing" test to verify the strength.

There she is. Was originally around $90 but after adding the light and masonite it's $164.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:08 PM   #2
1stmar

Nice work
Old January 18, 2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Kosh75287

DAMN nice work. I like it!

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old January 18, 2015, 07:33 PM   #4
Vance

Very nice. I knew that computer desk wouldn't last long after you used it the first time.
Old January 18, 2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Jbotto

Nice! I like it! I can't wait until I can do a real bench for myself! I'm sick of being cramped! This looks like what I have been envisioning!
Old January 19, 2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Clark

I built some benches in the small town where I was hunting in Oct 2014.
The local lumberyard did not have masonite.
I had to order it. Not everyone uses the same name to describe it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonite

Masonite is a type of hardboard made of steam-cooked and pressure-molded wood fibres in a process patented by William H. Mason. This product is also known as Quartrboard, Isorel, hernit, karlit, torex or treetex.

....Similar "tempered hardboard" is now a generic product made by many forest product companies.

By the time I was done I thought Masonite = Tempered Hardboard.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 20, 2015, 08:10 PM   #7
McCarthy

@mendozer

Where can I order one? You live in Central Florida? I buy beer and steaks
Old January 20, 2015, 09:37 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Looks real good. Nice work.
Old January 20, 2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

Give me a shout next time the better half is out of town and I'll have you come help build me one!

Gonna stain that puppy?
Old January 21, 2015, 05:32 AM   #10
Mike / Tx

Very similar to the one I built. I liked using the 2X's on top only I managed to find a 6' prefabbed kitchen counter top with a broken corner and got it for $25 since it was going to be culled. After slapping down a thin coat of Liquid Nails then coming in from the bottom with some screws it is there till the "Calling". My shelf was a piece of 3/4" plywood I managed to scrounge up that I cut out the corners so that it slid in form the side and then laid flat. Did the same treatment with the Liquid Nails on it as well. Even before I bolted it to the wall you could use the press easily. LOL

After a couple of weeks it sorta looked a little bare so I went shopping again and this time found a couple of scratch and dented prefab cabinets so I picked up two of the taller ones and one two door like might go over a sink. I set the two taller ones on each end and put a 1x12 across the top and set the two door on top of that. Makes it all come together really nice.

Since then I have mounted two presses and filled up all the cabinets, now if I could just find the top of the table.....
Old January 21, 2015, 03:59 PM   #11
Jbotto

C'mon Mike, you can't describe it so nicely like that and NOT share a picture!!!
Old January 21, 2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Mike / Tx

Quote:
C'mon Mike, you can't describe it so nicely like that and NOT share a picture!!!
To be honest at this point in time I would be ashamed to post a pic of what it actually looks like at this time. Oh it is VERY functional, but it has stuff piled all over it from me "starting" to "reorganize" some of it as well as another cabinet sitting along side it.

I will see if I do have a pick of it before it got so "broken in looking"
Old January 22, 2015, 04:37 PM   #13
Clark

I built this 6' bench and over head shelf while hunting 900 miles from here in Oct 2014.
The Masonite arrived after I shot my mule buck, antelope buck, and left town.

At another house I built two 16' long [32 feet] of benches and under the bench shelves while hunting 900 miles from here in Oct 2014.
The Masonite arrived after I shot my mule buck, antelope buck, and left town.

I have been told that the Masonite arrived and has been ripped on the lumberyard table saw and installed at both houses with screws.

It used to be that hunting was mostly camping.
Then hunting was mostly watching TV.
I try to do more constructive things while waiting for the weather to clear.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?