The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 2, 2015, 10:47 PM   #1
Texas Reb

Ruger Single Seven

Guys,

I went to a gun store tonight and as fate would have it, they had a gun I've been wanting. The Ruger single seven 327 Magnum. I went to look at a Uberti Cattleman 1873, but once the Ruger was in my hand, I couldn't put it down.

My question is, Can I use a 327 in Cowboy Action Shooting?
Old January 2, 2015, 11:54 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Possibly at a local match if the local club would allow it. The Single Seven is not legal for SASS. Revolvers cannot have more than 6 chambers (except for the Nagant revolver). Since the Nagant was approved, case could be made to get the Single Seven approved.

Probably somewhat the same situation for NCOWS matches.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 3, 2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Texas Reb

Sounds about like my luck. I've been wanting a gun in 327, so I was hoping it could serve both purposes.
Old January 3, 2015, 05:16 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Texas - I'll start out by stating that I have absolutely no experience with the single seven . . .

I do own a number of Rugers and love 'em all . . .

I can fully understand wanting a 327 . . . a fun cartridge . .

Do some checking though on the single seven in 327 . . . somewhere on another forum, I think I ran across some postings by those that have them and some comments in regards to difficulty (or PIA) of either loading them or ejecting them as far as indexing the cylinder around? I may be totally wrong on this so hopefully someone who has one will post here with their thoughts. When I read it, I was thinking it was probably because Ruger through in an extra chamber in the cylinder over their standard 6? Or it may just be that the ones who had issues weren't used to a 7 chamber cylinder? And then again . . I could be completely wrong and it wouldn't be the first time!

If you are really interested in the single seven - you might post over in the revolver section and see what others have to say about it
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63