The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 17, 2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Xaak

Outdoor Channel Law Suggestion

I'm sitting here watching the Outdoor Life Channel, and an advertisement came on that was so spot on, I couldn't believe I never considered it.

Here is the suggestion of a Lawyer:

If you are CCW or otherwise a gun owner, have the information for the police and a lawyer available for those you live with, in case you are involved in a situation where you were required to use your firearm to defend yourself.

He stated that if you question for a second whether you could be arrested for what you have committed to, you likely will be.

Further, he said that if you are 100% certain you acted accordingly, with due diligence and proper thought, it may not be so clear to the responding police and/or DA.

Again, the wisest thing is, be prepared ahead of the event you never want to happen, but if it does, you are ahead of the game.

Just an FYI and sharing what I thought was excellent information.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:40 AM   #2
JimDandy

Lots of people suggest it. Masaad Ayoob being the guy who most often does the talking head thing on these sorts of channels. He suggests putting the business card of your lawyer in your wallet, rather than in your cell phone. LEO's may not give you your cell phone to look up the number, but will most likely give you a business card from your wallet.
Old January 17, 2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Xaak

I've been a very close supporter of Masaad Ayoob for a very long time. His critical articles were always to the point, no frills, no bs. I hadn't read many in a while and your mention of it has me once again going back to find them. Good call out
Old January 17, 2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Here's my tip (also from a lawyer ). If you have a significant other, sit down and have a talk with that person about who you want called in the event that you have to defend yourself. Make a list, and make sure that your SO has all of the appropriate phone numbers. Should I ever (Heaven forbid) have to shoot anyone in self-defense, I'll call Mrs. McGee, and she'll make the rest of the necessary calls. The police may only allow me one phone call, but t.hey cannot limit the number of calls that she makes.
Old January 17, 2013, 07:10 PM   #5
l98ster

I can see a defense attorney saying that since the person was so prepared to deal with police after the shooting, that it was premeditated. He could argue that this person prepared ahead of time becuase he KNEW this shooting was going to happen.

Just sayin......

-George
Old January 17, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by l98ster
I can see a defense attorney saying that since the person was so prepared to deal with police after the shooting, that it was premeditated.
I think you mean prosecuting attorney. Regardless, they will use whatever means necessary to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. That doesn't mean that a jury will buy it.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:31 PM   #7
spacecoast

I carry the card of a good lawyer familiar with gun laws in my wallet.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by l98ster
I can see a defense attorney saying that since the person was so prepared to deal with police after the shooting, that it was premeditated. He could argue that this person prepared ahead of time becuase he KNEW this shooting was going to happen.

Just sayin......

-George
I think Al's right, that you meant prosecutor. Beyond that, let's look at their possible investigation: (1) I don't have to tell the police about my conversations with my wife (spousal communications privilege, A5 privilege); (2) my wife doesn't have to tell them (spousal communications privilege). They'll have to find probable cause to get a warrant for my computer and find my internet posts.

Even at that, I try to plan for every legal contingency. Why should SD be any different?
Old January 17, 2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Moby

There are seeral prepaid legal insurance programs just for such a situation.

In Texas we have Texas Law shield

There are others.

http://concealedcarrylegal.com/
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 18, 2013, 12:36 AM   #10
Xaak

I think that its very good that people have a plan in place. Owning a firearm comes with a responsibility, as does using it in a time of self defense. I am glad that many of you have gone that extra process other than buying a good firearm, loading it, having a good holster and training with it.

It's good to plan way out, and better if we never have to use the plan.