The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 5, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Loronzo

Help Identifying SKS

I recently came into possesion of an Siminov type 57 Carbine (SKS) from a family member. He sent it to me to do a breakdown, recleaning of it (had the rifle for ten years and had never cleaned it) Suprisingly there was no permanent damage to the barrel. However I became curious due to the stock itself and the fact it had what appears to be a professional conversion to accept Automat Kalishnakov magazines...

The only information I have on it is that it is that the original seller dealt exclusivly in Egyptian firearms. The firearm isn't hot (checked the serial number). The serial numbers on the bolt and reciever match and the markings indicate that it was orginally produced in china but has english only markings. It is an SKS Sporter made in china by Norinco.

Not looking for a resale value but honestly just curious what exactly it is. I've taken it to several local LFR's and they have all told me they haven't seen anything like it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 080512091005.jpg (220.4 KB, 67 views)
Old August 5, 2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

What you have is a Norinco Model M that accepts AK magazines. They are not all that common at least around these parts. I would say $350-$400.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS

TK
Old August 5, 2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Loronzo

Thanks TK, I should have just posted it here to begin with and saved myself some legwork.
Old August 5, 2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Kilroy08

I've got the D model, same premise. Nice, rock solid rifle and a blast to shoot.
Old August 5, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Keg

I used to have one..but did not have the hole in the stock....It was a jammin fool....