The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 2, 2012, 01:41 AM   #1
viciouskitty

just got a garand! what do i need now??

Just lucked into a cmp service grade garand from a shop in az while on vacation, I was intending to order one thru cmp but since this one was available in front of me for only 40 bucks more I figured why wait. It's an pre war Springfield I believe 250xxx is the serial number. Now I'm just wondering what parts I should stockpile as well as any tips on shooting it for the first time. I'm wondering what grease I could get that's available locally since I want to shoot it tmrw out in the dessert before heading back home I just can't wait.
Old August 2, 2012, 05:44 AM   #2
hodaka

I've been using Walmart lithium grease on mine. I wouldn't worry too much about stockpiling parts, just clips. You will find that you will go through a lot of ammo but you will be smiling the whole time.
Old August 2, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Stressfire

Quote:
just got a garand! what do i need now??
Ammunition!
Old August 2, 2012, 09:15 AM   #4
gdvan01

Quote:
I've been using Walmart lithium grease on mine.
Same here, no issues with it.

Quote:
Ammunition!
Absolutely. The Greek surplus works like a champ.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old August 2, 2012, 10:05 AM   #5
kraigwy

Hatcher's "Book of the Garand".

It just lately been re-released and is available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other major book stores.

It covers the History, Functioning, operation, Care and cleaning, malfunctions and stoppages, disassembly and Assembly, and much more.

Written by the man who was there from the time of inception to the use in War and Competition.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 2, 2012, 03:10 PM   #6
BerdanSS

If you are unfamiliar with the M1, google search "Garand Thumb" read about it, (look at the pictures) and then make sure you don't give yourself one one

Stock pile? EN-BLOC! Clips clips clips! shortly followed by (or with) Ammo ammo ammo
Old August 2, 2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Winchester_73

A kitty can be really vicious with help of a garand aka M1 rifle! Congrats on getting a pre WWII too, I don't recall seeing many of those. Most likely worth a premium so treat her good
Old August 2, 2012, 07:28 PM   #8
dmazur

Garand-safe ammo

I didn't see the customary warning about commercial "hunting" ammo.

Much of this uses a powder that is too slow for the Garand, and the result can be a damaged operating rod. (aka "op-rod")

As long as the headspace is correct, the Garand has a strong receiver that can handle almost anything. But the op-rod can only handle a certain amount of pressure/time at the gas port. Slow powders can create too much force on the op-rod, bending it. Bullet weight is only part of the problem.

And replacing it can cost almost as much as the rifle (!)

Google "Garand ammo" and you'll probably get more information than you want...

You'll get stuff like this -

Quote:
...This "special ammunition only" hogwash along with hokey adjustable gas plugs are products of recent anxious brooding and rumor-mongering over the internet.
from someone who doesn't understand that the damage to the op-rod may not be immediate.

And you'll also find more useful info, such as this post by dacaur on this forum -

Quote:
Just FYI. The garand being a gas gun is designed to operate in a specific range of pressures. The top end of which is significantly lower than the 30-06 of today. You have to remember that the great powders we have today are more powerful than what they had when the garand was designed and built. Thats why some ammo MFG's actualy have loadings specifically for M1 garands, because they may not function well with todays hunting loads, which are too hot for it. A .308 today is as powerfull as a 30-06 was back when the garand was in service, so a good rule of thumb is to keep your velocities below .308 levels.

Hornadys current manual has a section devoted just to the M1 garand, and for a 150gr bullet using H 4895, it lists a starting load of 43.2gr=2400fps, 44.8gr=2500fps, with a MAX load of 46.4gr-2600FPS..... Your loads are a bit hot for a garand....
And then there's this thread, which has lots of useful stuff -

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=garand+loads

The Garand is a great rifle, and worth a little time studying its "intricacies"...

Last edited by dmazur; August 2, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old August 2, 2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Winchester_73

+1 on dmazur. M2 ball ammo is less powerful than hunting rounds, and that is for a reason.
Old August 2, 2012, 09:45 PM   #10
1Hobie

Congrats on the "new" Garand.

If you put an adjustable gas plug on it, you can shoot just about everything that doesn't create overpressure.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...adjustable_gas

I use the wrench adjustable one and one feature that I like (kind of weird I admit) is I can make the gun into a have to manually cycle the bolt gun. The reason being is that my brass doen't take off into the north forty so I can find it easy to get a read on my re-loads without chambering another round automatically.

Have fun!

Hobie
Old August 3, 2012, 07:03 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Buy a few cases of CMP's HXP M2 ball ammo and a new recoil spring. The HXP comes on enbloc's and you'll have a life time supply.

Old August 3, 2012, 07:26 AM   #12
gdvan01

Man, that's a beautiful sight!

PING!

edit - and if the stock needs any attention I highly recommend Tom's 1/3 mix*, I went with the 'natural':

http://www.thegunstockdoctor.com/

If you have any questions just shoot Tom an email, he's very responsive.

* I am not associated with or gain any benefit from mentioning Tom's mix, just a very pleased customer.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard

Last edited by gdvan01; August 3, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old August 4, 2012, 12:56 AM   #13
Ignition Override

Ammo, ammo, and more M2 Ball ammo.

Last edited by Ignition Override; August 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old August 4, 2012, 06:38 AM   #14
madcratebuilder

Another +10 for Tom's gunstock wax. Google the "gunstock doctor".
Old August 4, 2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Tom68

Kraigwy, you disappointed me. As soon as I saw the title of this thread, i just KNEW I would find a post from you advising the OP to find a local match and sign up!
Old August 4, 2012, 04:24 PM   #16
viciouskitty

Well I picked up some Korean surplus 30-06 from jg while in AZ, I'm gonna try of out tmrw when I get home
Old August 5, 2012, 01:37 AM   #17
Ignition Override

A money order bought with cash does not appear on the credit card statement, and the ammo shipped to a friend's house is very low-profile.

visciouskitty: Well done. It won't get any cheaper, no matter what happens in late November.
And another leftist activist being appointed to a future Supreme Court opening could attempt to make certain varieties of domestic or foreign ammo/guns prohibited, or pricier. The antis' subtle method nowadays is to do it in ways which are in gradual steps, and low profile. This insidious method might not make any headlines

Last edited by Ignition Override; August 7, 2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old August 5, 2012, 09:54 AM   #18
Tidewater_Kid

Careful with the Korean ammo as some of it is corrosive. Google the head stamps or ask here before shooting it. It should work fine, just need to make sure how to clean.

TK