The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 25, 2012, 05:14 AM   #26
dcobler

Unless I am wrong (which is possible) that is not the same gun as the earlier pic Winchester? I notice the mag is different and it may be lighting but the wear looks different. Serial numbers dont look to be the same either.
Old July 25, 2012, 06:31 AM   #27
Winchester_73

Quote:
Winchester 73, your Mauser has a 1934 magazine.
Which gun? The lower one? The top one is AFAIK an all original rig. The two I posted in this thread are not the same gun. I sold the exploded view gun anyways and I think I sold it with a different mag. IIRC that mag in the exploded view was aftermarket but who knows now.

Quote:
IIRC every original Mauser pocket pistol I've examined had a straw-colored trigger
Quote:
Actually, the triggers were heat blued, as were the extractors.
I thought so. I never recall seeing one that was "strawed" which to me refers to how some of the small parts on pre 1938 lugers were finished.

Quote:
Unless I am wrong (which is possible) that is not the same gun as the earlier pic Winchester? I notice the mag is different and it may be lighting but the wear looks different. Serial numbers dont look to be the same either.
Since mags are removable, and often fit several types of guns (example = Behollas / Stendas / Leonhardts accept Colt 1903 mags) its important to identify a semi regardless of the mag. Both guns that I posted were Mauser 1914s without a doubt. There were little subvariations made at different times (such as the early "humpback" SNs below 1000) but the only other models that look similar are the Mauser 1910 which was 25 acp and the Mauser 1934, which had a curved pistol grip frame esp the backstrap. Your gun you posted is also definitely a Mauser 1914. As far as serial numbers, they made 100s of thousands of these. I looked at examples in the 500k range and I think they might go higher than that.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:25 AM   #28
dcobler

Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyvel
Winchester 73, your Mauser has a 1934 magazine.
I am sure that he was referring to the lower one. Which is why I made this comment.

Quote:
Old July 25, 2012, 11:47 AM   #29
Winchester_73

Quote:
Unless I am wrong (which is possible) that is not the same gun as the earlier pic Winchester?
ooooooh. I thought you were referring to whether or not MY pics were the same gun as YOURS. You were asking if my pics were of the same gun, and no they were not. The second pic is a weimar era German (not for US) commercial and the earlier one is a weimar production police issued pistol.