The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 3, 2012, 11:33 PM   #26
Heavy Metal 1

"P.S. Please dont give me the B.S. line that I've read in other forums; "I shot under an inch at 100 iron sights with mine".
If you can do that then you should be on the front lines fighting for America."

I have never done that with my K98, but have done under an inch many times with both of my Swedish Mausers, my Czech Mauser and my M17 Remington. You can believe it or not. Can I do it every time? No, but I can do it often, often enough to know it's not just luck. Don't be so hasty to call BS because you may not be able to do something. 30 years ago before I really got into the shooting sports in a big way and only shot casually, I would have not belived it possible for someone to shoot minute of angle with open sights. Training, practice, concentration and a good rifle can do some interesting work.
Old August 4, 2012, 09:25 AM   #27
troopcom

Heavy Metal 1 quoted:
Quote:
but have done under an inch many times with both of my Swedish Mausers, my Czech Mauser and my M17 Remington. You can believe it or not.
Heavy Metal 1, I'm so proud of you for shooting those under 1" groups with something other than an all original K98 mauser, but did you read the the topic AT ALL??? I'll post it again for you in bold lettering! Yes I'm calling BS on the iron sights with a K98 until someone proves me wrong. If they do, then outstanding! Would you please take the time to actually read a topic before you post a reply?

What is HONESTLY your best 100 yard five shot group with an German or Yugo Capture K98 8mm Mauser in original condition with iron sights out to 100yards? I just want to hear from the Mauser clan on this one.

"Some people actually read the signs while others just look at 'em"

Last edited by troopcom; August 4, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:20 AM   #28
Heavy Metal 1

Yes I read it. Did you read my response carefully? I said I never accomplished 1 inch groups with my K98, but have with a few of my other Mausers. (Yes,yes I know my response is not confined to K98/Yugo) The Czech is a 98 action. I know it is not a K98. I realize the Swedes are 96 actions. My point was a partial answer to one part of your question refuting your apparant disbelief that one inch groups are impossible with originally configured open sight rifles.

So as to answer your question within the narrow parameters of K98 or Yugo rifles; no, I have not been able to get my K98 to shoot that well. Based on my experience with open sighted rifles I believe some people my be able to.

I know that my M17 is not a K98, but I shot a group so small with that I would be tempted to call BS on it if someone told it to me and I never witnessed it!

If you ever find yourself in SW Oregon give me a PM several days before and we can head to the range. I'll bring my non K98s!
Old August 9, 2012, 09:14 PM   #29
troopcom

Thanks to everyone who responded. I really enjoy hearing from everyone.

Even the ones who got a little off subject!

"Some people actually read the signs while others just look at 'em"