The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 11, 2012, 08:25 PM   #1
GlobalSlacker

Where can I find an orginial magazine for a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out. I'm looking for an orginal magazine for my No.4 Mk1. Haven't been able to find anything but cheap reproductions online. Any ideas as to where I might be able to find one?
Old July 11, 2012, 08:47 PM   #2
LarryNTX

Sarco

http://e-sarcoinc.com/orm-enfield10r...lmagazine.aspx
Old July 11, 2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

Having once been an employee of Sarco...

Be VERY suspicious of the "originality" of "original" parts procured from them.

I personally unpacked many a case of parts from India and Pakistan and China that were then passed off as "originals". Everything from M1C scope mounts to firing pins for Pattern 17 Enfields. You would not believe the selection of fake parts that were passed off to people. The selection of fake proof stamps was amusing as well... "You want one Waffenamt marked? ... I'll be right back." (sound of hammering in the back room). "Here ya go... I found it in the back of the bin... it's just an extra $50..."...

Caveat Emptor. Order, but be ready to return. My guess is that the ones advertised are from India.

Willie

Old July 11, 2012, 11:32 PM   #4
tahunua001

you are probably best off looking on evil bay or such. yes you end up paying out the nose but your odds of getting fakes are slightly less than the people that advertize original parts...one you could look at is numrich. I have ordered a number of their parts for a springfield restoration and so far everything I've bought has been USGI unless otherwise marked, complete with rust and other grunginess.
Old July 12, 2012, 07:00 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Evil bay or Gunbroker. Do not waste money on a reproduction Lee Enfield magazine. Only one repro works, the old Golden State Arms 5 round mag that is stamped with their name and marked "made in Japan".

Be sure you are buying a No4 mag and not a No1 mag. You can tell the difference every easily. The two stamped channels on the sides of the magazine body are different. On the No4 these channels stop short of the bottom of the mag. On the No1 mag these channels go all the way to the bottom of the mag. The two mags well fit either rifle but you well have feed issues if mis-matched.

No4 magazine.

No1 magazine.
Old July 12, 2012, 10:04 AM   #6
gyvel

If you don't have any luck, PM me.
Old July 12, 2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Hardcase

I bought one from Numrich a couple of years ago. It was original and the right model. Works like a champ after I cleaned all the goo off it.
Old July 12, 2012, 07:21 PM   #8
GlobalSlacker

Thanks for the info, glad to know about the number of fakes out there. I picked up a repo mag a few weeks back at a gunshow and it was junk. I did see a few on Ebay and may end up going there after all since it sounds like it's definitely worth the extra $$ for an original.

Thanks again!
Old July 12, 2012, 11:57 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

Keep trying the shows, but Numrich is a good outfit to buy from.

If you can find an old sporter Lee-Enfield for $60-$75, buy it just for the parts. You can pay $4 for a stock screw or some other small part.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:13 AM   #10
Willie Sutton

I'd agree about Numrich, or more correctly these days "Gun Parts".
Never a sniff of counterfeit parts from them (unlike Sarco)

Willie

Old July 15, 2012, 09:48 PM   #11
brewman

These guys are in Australia but I'm sure they post to the US, they have some in stock.

I don't know how you would go with importing a magazine?
I know we can't have them posted from US to Oz without many headaches.

http://www.lawranceordnance.com/shot...s/magazine.php
Old July 15, 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
tahunua001

gun parts are easy, no special licenses or permits required. the only things that need special attention to import are ammo, recievers and whole weapons.
Old July 16, 2012, 09:17 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

Quote:
These guys are in Australia but I'm sure they post to the US, they have some in stock.

I don't know how you would go with importing a magazine?
I know we can't have them posted from US to Oz without many headaches.
It's not a problem with most items. I ship stuff to OZ all the time. I list the contents on the customs slip, never had a problem, other than the cost.
Old July 16, 2012, 05:54 PM   #14
brewman

Apologies for getting off subject of the thread ….

Stuff like scopes, rings, triggers etc are fine but magazines, cases, projectiles etc are not. As i found out.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...ngAmmoMags.pdf

I once purchased about 400 empty .270 cases from US and thought they are basically scrap metal, they were seized by customs here as an illegal import and furthermore I was “investigated” by the police as to why I needed so much ammunition and if I was stock piling.

Here we are not permitted to have more ammunition than we are likely to use within one year, this is a pretty open ended statement I know.

I was contacted by the police and was asked why I needed so much ammunition? I explained that it is just empty cases, and was told that is classified as importing ammunition. They still demanded I explain why I needed so much. I said if I went to the range once a month and shot 100 rounds each time that would be 1200 a year. Eventually they were happy with that and said I now need to submit an importation application to the firearms branch.

Then it took about another 4 months to process. Once I obtained the temporary import permit I went to customs and got screwed around for another 3 or 4 hours with red tape there until I finally got my cases. All up it took nearly 6 months and I was made to feel like a terrorist plotting to go on a shooting spree, all for 400 empty cases.

Here in Australia our government don’t really like guns, it is not that we can’t import these things but it is intentionally made so difficult that most people will just give up trying, it is getting this way with obtaining a firearms licence as well, don’t make it illegal just make it so hard no one try’s. That’s how a pathetic government ends up getting what they want.

Sorry for the long rant….

Tags
lee enfield , magazines , no.4 mk.1