The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 1, 2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Hiker 1

Alternative to NFA Trust?

I was in the LGS last night with plans to start the paperwork for a suppressor and I became convinced that setting up an NFA trust is a better way to go.

While discussing this with the owner, he said that an attorney had come in and said there was a better, more streamlined way to get set up for NFA transfers, but the owner didn't have any more info.

Has anyone heard of a legal entity or legal set up that is "better" than an NFA trust?
Old October 1, 2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Armorer-at-Law

Setting up a corporation or LLC may be good alternatives, but it depends on your state law. Corps/LLCs may or may not require annual reports and/or fees to keep them active. If not, they may be good alternatives. There are other estate planning benefits of a trust, however. Talk to a qualified attorney in your state.
Old October 1, 2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Armorer-at-Law has nailed it.

As an aside, at a arecent gun show, I noticed that a lawyer had actually set up a table for doing gun trusts. That was the first time I'd seen that.