The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 29, 2012, 11:02 AM   #26
TX Hunter

I have wondered if making your last couple of shots with a Non Corrosive Boxer Primed Round would help Blast some of the salts out of the Barrel.
Then Clean. Just an Idea.
Old July 29, 2012, 12:40 PM   #27
Bigdog57

None of my seven Mosins have ever tasted water, and their bores are still good. Any good bore cleaner (I am NOT including Hoppes #9 in this) will work fine. Hoppes Elite, CLP, the old GI surplus LSA and Milspec "Rifle Bore Cleaner", Birchwood-Casey Bore Scrubber - all work well.
I then follow with a good gun oil in the bore to help prevent corrosion. I live in humid Florida - it works for me.
Ditto for my other milsurps.
Some gun owners get the oddest ideas from the internut.
Old July 30, 2012, 08:10 AM   #28
jsmaye

Quote:
Some gun owners get the oddest ideas from the internut.
'Water dissolving salts' is an odd idea? 'Using only as strong a solvent as necessary' is an odd idea? Hmmm.....
Old July 30, 2012, 02:57 PM   #29
emcon5

Quote:
Any good bore cleaner (I am NOT including Hoppes #9 in this) will work fine. Hoppes Elite, CLP, the old GI surplus LSA and Milspec "Rifle Bore Cleaner", Birchwood-Casey Bore Scrubber - all work well.
Maybe you ought to read over the test I posted on the last page. LSA and CLP are not cleaners, they are lubricants. And I am reasonably sure your Mosins have seen water, because that is probably what the Soviets used to clean them.