The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 28, 2012, 01:12 AM   #1
ronz

How much does the import mark affect value? On a P1

I have 2 p-1’s one imported by pw arms with the import marks plastered on the slide
The other by rci that has it on the frame under the trigger guard picture came out a little blurry but it’s RCI WDVL.WA you can barely notice the import mark and it makes the gun look a lot nicer imo
Would that also increase the value? The barrel is also a little thicker and shorter and just noticed its stamped as a p-38 not a p-1 made 3/63 All matching #
Been thinking about selling it so I can get an m-1 Garand I had this before I got my c&r so shouldn’t go against me in the books
How much would it be worth?

Last edited by ronz; July 28, 2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: added pictures
Old July 28, 2012, 01:21 AM   #2
Willie Sutton

Import marks definately affect value. Poorly done ones, like the Century imported ones, cause people like me to simply not buy them at any price. It's mutilation. Discrete marks are different, they are not "desirable" as compared to no marks at all, but do not make folks like me put the gun back down without even considering it for purchase.

Willie

Old July 28, 2012, 02:22 AM   #3
gyvel

Quote:
Been thinking about selling it so I can get an m-1 Garand I had this before I got my c&r so shouldn’t go against me in the books
Doesn't matter. If this Walther is classified as C&R, you MUST enter it into your books when (and only when) you dispose of it.
Old July 28, 2012, 10:02 AM   #4
ronz

Found a couple like mine for sale once I started looking at p-38’s instead of p-1’s there going for quite a bit more than I expected
Going to have to read the regulations heard you don’t have to list anything c&r that you had prior to getting the license but will enter it if I sell it better safe than sorry
Old July 28, 2012, 12:22 PM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
Going to have to read the regulations heard you don’t have to list anything c&r that you had prior to getting the license but will enter it if I sell it better safe than sorry
You don't have to list if you obtained it prior to getting the license, BUT, if you dispose of it, then you have to list it and the disposition.
Old July 28, 2012, 01:18 PM   #6
emcon5

Quote:
You don't have to list if you obtained it prior to getting the license, BUT, if you dispose of it, then you have to list it and the disposition.
He is right. You don't use your C&R license, you are licensed, so any firearm that meets the definition of C&R must be logged in if you buy or sell. For something you owned before licensed, you only have to log it in if you sell it.
Old July 28, 2012, 09:37 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe some people won't buy an import marked gun "at any price", but that depends on how badly they want the gun. They are not going to get an imported gun without some import mark; even those brought in before 1968 had the country-of-origin mark (e.g., "GERMANY"). The only ones that have no import mark at all are ones brought back as war souvenirs or purchased overseas and privately imported.

Jim
Old July 28, 2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Quote:
cause people like me to simply not buy them at any price.
Obviously your interest is purely in collector grad firearms. For a fine shooter like a P1 it isn't going to make much difference. All shooters will be import marked, and a P1 without the added markings would be a true collector piece worth more. Not so much a marked P1 being worth less.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 28, 2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Willie Sutton

To the above: ^^^^^ (which includes a quote of mine that was edited to have it not mean what I wrote)

I look for unmarked examples "Partially" but not exclusively. I will, however, pass on things that are marked in such a way as to be essentially vandalism (see any Tokarev marked by Century as an example) and will rather pick a sample for my collection that was *tastefully* marked if an unmarked example is not available.

Importers really ought to be a bit sensitive to what they are doing when the mark these. They definately reduce the value and desirability if they are not respectful when they add markings.

Willie

Old July 29, 2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Cheapshooter

I intended no offence to you. It's just personal choice. to me the shootability, and reliability outweigh the markings added by the importer. Personally, no electro penciled additional markings required by the government are tasteful. No matter how carefully they are done.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 29, 2012, 01:13 AM   #11
gyvel

Quote:
Importers really ought to be a bit sensitive to what they are doing when the mark these. They definately reduce the value and desirability if they are not respectful when they add markings.
I think the problem now is that BATF has set up standards for how, where and how big "import" markings have to be.
Old July 29, 2012, 03:17 AM   #12
ronz

IMO its that a lot of them just don’t care where or how it looks they just care how many they can get done in a day in corporate America the only thing that matters it productivity not quality it’s all about the amount that someone can get done in a day if one employee does 20 crates that look good and another does 25 that look like crap with the new markings just plastered wherever it’s the easiest some pencil pusher that don’t know the difference between a p38 or a k98 will reprimand or replace the employee tries to do their job with the end result in mind