The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 20, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
tahunua001

ok guys I need garand lessons.

hello all. my local pawnshop has a garand. the receiver is springfield with a mid 2 millions serial number but the barrel is a low 6 millions winchester. the stock is serviceable but the front portion and handguards do not look like they match the rear half.

they are asking 700 for it. is this a decent price?

was this gun slapped together in bubba's basement or did winchester do a lot of arsenol refits?
Old July 20, 2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Creeper

Sketchy... especially if you're not really knowledgeable about Garands. I fall into that "not really knowledgeable about Garands" category, but I do like them... so the last time I bought a Garand to shoot, I bought it from the Garand Guy.
His prices are a bit over a grand to start, and all guns come with a 1 year warranty. Mine had a bit over 5K rounds thru it when I sold it... with absolutely no hicups what-so-ever. He does a real nice BM59 too.

Cheers,
C
Old July 20, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Winchester_73

Quote:
hello all. my local pawnshop has a garand. the receiver is springfield with a mid 2 millions serial number but the barrel is a low 6 millions winchester. the stock is serviceable but the front portion and handguards do not look like they match the rear half.

they are asking 700 for it. is this a decent price?

was this gun slapped together in bubba's basement or did winchester do a lot of arsenol refits?
First, that garand is a WWII garand per that SN. The WWII garands are worth a premium. Secondly, the barrel does NOT have a low 6 millions SN. That number is a lot number. These numbers do NOT need to match. However, makers should. If the barrel is a Winchester it would have the "WRA" code.

That price is very fair IF the bore and metal is clean the stock is nice. Anytime I see a good honest garand, its over $800.

Winchester did not do a lot of arsenal refits BUT armories did. These armories rebuilt these with the parts on hand, which is why its common to have a Winchester garand with a Springfield barrel and so on and so forth. The bolt should have "SA" on it as well.

Unless theres a problem with the gun, I'd say its a buy at $700. The WWII status is a big help.

Here is my Eddystone P17 top, Smith Corona 03 A3 middle and my H&R garand bottom. I paid about $700 for my garand, and its a post WWII gun.

The garand you speak of may not last long at that price. The condition is the only wild card here.

Old July 20, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4
tahunua001

your garand is in much nicer shape than the one described. also I kind of hate you the only non sporterized 1917 I've been able to find has actually been sitting in the same pawnshop for the last 6 months for $900 with a cracked handguard and shot out bore. most of the milsurps they have there are on the steep end of the price range. I got my springfield from them for 700 but that's because it sat in their shop for a year with no takers because they wanted 900 for a low serial springfield.

nice work with your collection, maybe one day I'll have one like it.
Old July 20, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Winchester_73

Quote:
your garand is in much nicer shape than the one described. also I kind of hate you the only non sporterized 1917 I've been able to find has actually been sitting in the same pawnshop for the last 6 months for $900 with a cracked handguard and shot out bore.
Since you hate me, I will tell you the true story of how I acquired that P17 in that photo. I was nebbing around craigslist one day about 2 years ago and responded to a reloading ad. In those days, before I used gunbroker, I would ask if people if they had guns because the more hooks you throw out, the more you can reel in. The guy said he had some guns he wanted to sell. Many were ho-hum, marlin 30-30, mauser 270, Savage in like 257 roberts, then he says he has a 30-06 Enfield. Oh what do you want for that I say. He goes "how about $180, thats what I paid for it in 1989" and no, he was not some guy with Alzheimers, nor was he someone who stole the guns, he was just some honest guy that said he had fallen on hard times. I ended up giving him $180 for that, a ground down mauser 98k bayonet and a crappy Imperial fighting knife. I later sold that P17 for about $375 because it had some problems, but I wasn't complaining. It had a stock from a P14 someone told me AND the barrel was a JA aka Johnson Automatics. I later got another one with an original Eddystone barrel for $350. It has some wear, but its a WWI veteran for God's sake, so I give it a break. The first one was not a great shooter but the second one is. I read that the rebuild barrels had a different amount of grooves and did not shoot as well as the WWI originals.

That above story is 100% true too, believe it or not. That Smith Corona was also traded. I have the garand still though, I have to have at least one.

Last edited by Winchester_73; July 20, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old July 21, 2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Ignition Override

tahunua001:
I can't answer your questions, but if you are pretty familiar with the CMP, you realize that if you qualify (i.e. the GCA costs about $25/year) you can buy a Service Grade for less than the pawn shop's list price.

At least all CMP guns are checked for safe operation and rated partly by the throat and muzzle wear.
In that pawn shop Garand, you would need to assume that all parts are inside, and that it was not abused, unless you know the previous owner and his attitude towards guns. Maybe you have the tools to check the throat/muzzle wear?

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 21, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old July 21, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7
FALPhil

I walked out of the CMP South store yesterday with an HRA with a 4.6 million S/N. The muzzle gauged 1 and the chamber gauged 2. The barrel was correct for the receiver. The stock looked like it had seen combat, but it had the correct cartouches for the period in which the receiver was made. This is a really nice Garand. My out-the-door price was 685.50. And that included a nice plastic (Doskosil) case with the CMP logo, a manual, an empty chamber flag, and 1 clip.