The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 20, 2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Bill Akins

For those looking for a stainless 12" barrel "Buffalo model" 1858 Remington.

I remember from some past posts a couple of months ago, that some members here were looking for a stainless, 12" barrel (Buffalo model), 1858 Remington. Can't remember exactly who the members were or I'd have I.M.'d them, so I posted it here hoping they see it. Not a bad price at all (so far) with the included accessories.

I am not selling this, and have no affiliation with the seller, just wanted to help those members who previously posted that they were looking for this 12" barreled "Buffalo" version 1858 in stainless to find one. Hope this post helps someone here get what they were looking for.

It's on Gunbroker and starting bid is $349.00 with zero bids so far and 4 days 14 hours left to go. Includes a nice holster, zippered carry pouch, plus an off the gun cylinder reloader. Here's one pic followed by the link which has more pics, good luck and let us know if you get it.....

Ad reads...."1858 by fillipietta, adjustable sight on 12in barrel. new cylinder loading tool. "

Here's the link....
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=242201127

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; July 20, 2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old July 22, 2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Bill Akins

I made a mistake in my above post. The initial bid on that revolver was (and is so far) $300.00.......not $349.00 as I stated earlier in error. Heck of a good deal for members here. I'm almost tempted but I already have a stainless Remy target model. The zippered case, very nice holster and bench reloading press would cost somewhere around $100.00 if you bought them new. That would mean you only paid in actuality $200.00 for the 12 inch barrel, adjustable sights, stainless '58 Remy. With the earlier posts here of members looking for a stainless buffalo model, I figured someone from here would jump on this deal.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old July 22, 2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Hawg

Maybe I'm wrong, wont be the first time but I don't remember anybody looking for one. I remember a couple of people interested in a stainless sheriff's model.
Old July 23, 2011, 04:28 AM   #4
Bill Akins

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, wont be the first time but I don't remember anybody looking for one. I remember a couple of people interested in a stainless sheriff's model.

I did a search of my posts and found the thread and post Hawg that was back on March 2nd, where I now see and remember it was Noelf2 who said he was looking for a 12" barrel stainless '58 Remy. See that at this below link.....
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...38#post4474438

I couldn't remember who it was that was looking until I found the thread and posts again just now. But I DID remember someone here had been looking for one.
Old July 23, 2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Hawg

Cool!
Old July 23, 2011, 09:55 AM   #6
ZVP

Why a 12" Barrel?

Not to tee anyone off OK?
For the life of me, I can't see why anyone would want to put that sort of strain on their wrist while aiming. The standard 8" Remmie shoots plenty accuratelly and you can also buy a target Model if you just want the sights.
Does the additional 4" of barrel really pick up that much velocity? I can see about the distance between sights but the weight outweighs any benifit I can see.
I bought both a standard 8" '58 and the 5 1/2" Sheriffs model to satisfy my inital Remington craving. The Short Sheriff's model handles as well as my 4 5/8" Vaquero and the discharge noise is no louder than the Standard '58.
I have to admit that I would like to have a Customised Stainless model , perhaps a 8" Target Model cut to 4". The adjustable sights would really make that revolver!
I suppose owning a variation is the point?
ZVP
Old July 23, 2011, 12:50 PM   #7
Ultravox

That looks like fun. Wish I had the spare cash to buy it.
Old July 23, 2011, 05:27 PM   #8
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVP
For the life of me, I can't see why anyone would want to put that sort of strain on their wrist while aiming. The standard 8" Remmie shoots plenty accuratelly and you can also buy a target Model if you just want the sights.
Does the additional 4" of barrel really pick up that much velocity? I can see about the distance between sights but the weight outweighs any benifit I can see.
I'm not able to locate the report right now but the best groups fired at 50 yards that I've ever heard about being made by a Remington were fired from a 12 inch stainless Buffalo model. Even if only used for bench shooting, the Buffalo can deliver very satisfying and rewarding accuracy.
There have also been posts about the hunting velocity attained with the stainless Buffalo model and it's quite impressive. There is no other Remington that can match it.
A rest is often used while hunting with a revolver so there isn't any strain ever being put on the wrist[s]. Simply consider how it would held for deer hunting from a tree stand or ground blind.
Let's not assume that everyone would be firing a 12 inch revolver using only one handed duelist style. That would seem to be a somewhat unrealistic expectation. Guns are selected based on their intended purpose and performance and not whether they can be held with one one hand exclusively for competition style shooting.
For longer range accuracy and the highest velocities produced for hunting, the Buffalo model is a very good choice and maybe the best based on personal preference.
Plus some folks probably happen to be big and strong enough to handle this model whether holding it with one hand or two! Just take a look at the weight of the Walker which probably weighs even more than the Buffalo model.

Last edited by arcticap; July 24, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old July 23, 2011, 08:41 PM   #9
noelf2

Thanks for the info all. I'm saving up cabelas points to get a revolving carbine. Hoping they go on sale sometime this year. Got $250 so I should be half way there.
Old July 23, 2011, 11:34 PM   #10
rodent.22

Yeah I have the brass-framed 12'' Buffalo. It is a good shooter, I've had it a long time and haven't shot it in a good while. It's weight is very little over a standard length gun, maybe a 1/4th of a pound. My Walker weighs 4 1/2 lbs, it is a bear to hold at arm's length....