The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 20, 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
jabba21

Newly acquired: Colt Peacekeeper .357

I picked up this beauty a couple of weeks ago. I just wanted to show it off really. I'm digging the matte finish personally.

Here is a little write up I did about it if interested. Also has some more pics in it: http://matthewweddle.blogspot.com/20...57-magnum.html

Old October 20, 2013, 03:50 PM   #2
GyMac

Congratulations, it looks great! Let us know how it shoots.
Old October 20, 2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Sevens

I can imagine the price tag on that revolver was somewhat spicy, mmm?

Colt revolvers carry interesting pricing these days, and some of them are simply a by-product of their availability. That one is, as you know, somewhat rare as they only did them for a couple years.

I'll bet you spent some solid coin on it. Looks pretty good! But yes, it really doesn't look much like what most people think of...when they think of a Colt revolver.

Very cool, like a time capsule. More a product of a situation than an odd offering in their catalog, IMO.
Old October 21, 2013, 01:50 AM   #4
jabba21

As far as price, I think I did fairly well. I traded around for it and only have about $440 in it. It was luck mainly.

CDNN was selling used Gen 2 Glock 22's a few weeks ago for $320 ($340 after transfer to FFL) and I thought "that's not bad, I could probably use this to trade on". I bought one, had it a few days, and a guy offered to trade me a nice Beretta 92FS for it. He initially wanted some boot on my end but I declined stating I'd prefer to trade even on something (I was really hoping just to trade it to a Gen 2 Glock 19 but I digress). Anyway, a day later, the guy with the Beretta gets back with me and says he'd like to trade even. Of course, I make that trade.

The same day I get the Beretta, I walk into my LGS and the Colt Peacekeeper is laying there with a price tag of $650. I thought that was a very reasonable price anyway. I look at for a bit and the owner flat out states he will take "$625 out the door" before I even ask him anything.

I ask him what he would take on the Beretta 92FS and a long story short, I gave him the Beretta and $100 for it. I was very happy with it. I guess I was just meant to have that gun.
Old October 21, 2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Sevens

YEAH! You did extremely well, all the way around. I also think the shop's price was pretty good.

I've watched as Pythons have skyrocketed. This is no surprise to anyone, anymore. Diamondbacks follow suit. I was a bit more surprised to see what King Cobras have done. There seems to be no doubt whatsoever that outside of the double action revolvers they made hundreds and hundreds of thousands of (Police Positive and variants), all Colt revolvers are going to have an intrinsic value that climbs. The Peacekeeper is absolutely limited. Nobody would argue that it's as good or better than a Python or Diamonback, but there's no way they made more of these than the others. The price has nowhere to go but up.

You did extremely well, no doubt!
Old October 21, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
WC145

Nice! I've wanted a 4" Peacekeeper since they came out, I'll pick one up eventually. BTW, the gun is parkerized, hence the matte grey appearance. They were made during a labor strike at Colt back in the mid 80s and getting guns polished for bluing was a problem. They made parkerized Troopers (Peacekeepers) plus a couple of snubbies called the Commando and the Agent. The run was short lived, they only made them for a couple of years.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old October 23, 2013, 04:01 PM   #7
smee78

I had one of thoes with a 4" barrel, nice gun but I never warmed up to the Colt action so I moved it down the road. It was a nice gun but.... I'm glad you were able to work out a trade, I think you got the better end of the deal at the end of the day.
Old October 23, 2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Jeff #111

I remember Lt. Castillo carrying one of those in "Miami Vice" back in the eighties. Memories. Good find. Hold onto it. It will only go up in value. I have several 38 Spl DA Colts and I'm holding onto them.