The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 28, 2013, 07:40 AM   #1
gaseousclay

Winchester 9422 ammo capacity

stupid question, but how many .22LR rounds can a Winchester 9422 hold? I printed out the 9422 instruction manual from the Winchester site and I must be blind because I can't find this info anywhere. Is it 15 for LR, 17 for Long and 21 for short?
Old August 28, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Malamute

Sounds about right. To simplify just load until a cartridge partially obscures the loading port in the tubular magazine. No need to count.

As kids, we'd dump a couple 50 rd boxes of shells in our back pocket and load from there. After a while you get pretty good at coming real close to grabbing the right amount. Not hard to grab a couple more or put a few back either though.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old August 28, 2013, 11:43 AM   #3
hammie

@Mr. gaseous: Thanks to the american bar association, even boxes of toothpicks now come with instructions and warning labels, and so I was stunned to discover that my 1993, 9422 manual did not designate the magazine capacity. You were right. the manual just warns against exceeding the magazine capacity without saying what that capacity is.

I then looked on the barrel and magazine tube to see if it was stamped there, but no, it wasn't.

Interesting, but as the above poster said, it has never been an issue for me. I either loaded the amount I wanted or what the magazine would hold---whichever came first.

I will say this though. I don't expect more than hunting accuracy from a lever action, hammer ignited, two piece stock firearm. However, my 9422 gives match accuracy and feeds 100% reliably (even working the lever slowly and holding the rifle upside down).
Old August 28, 2013, 03:55 PM   #4
WIN1886

Winchester model 9422 capacity !

.22 LR version : 15 +1 in chamber

.22 Magnum version : 11+1 in chamber ( that be mine )
Old August 28, 2013, 05:51 PM   #5
smee78

Its hard to beat a good 9422, It is one of my favorites, I run about 15 rounds at a time in mine, I would love to find a mag to go along with it.
Old August 30, 2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Tom Matiska

I believe 1886 has the correct answer for 20" barrel..... 16.5 and 22.5's were also made.
Old August 31, 2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Straitshot

Got a a 22 mag. and a 22 LR. Both are slick stocks. The 22LR is a first year in at least 95%, maybe even better. I love them both. Them and the 62A's are the best shootin 22s I ever had. Wish I still had the 62A.