The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 23, 2009, 03:52 PM   #1
mete

Auto vs Revolver

A friend asked the following , why is it that in PA you can hunt with a revolver but not with an auto ,what's the technical difference ?
Well they are both 'repeaters' so their's no logical difference why one is ok and the other is not !
To complicate the picture I explained the Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver to him ! That's a neat gun where the barrel and cylinder slide back and automatically index the cylinder to the next chamber.
That gun has been in two movies that I know of and in both Sean Connery has and shoots it ! One movie is a futuristic one , the other is a Mexican revolution film.
Never look for logic in gun laws !
Old December 23, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
TheOctoberWolf

Ya means I can't use ma Dessert Eagle in fitty cal fer squirrel huntin? Seriously, I love my uncle's G20 and wanted to use it for hunting. I actually never noticed that law. Poop.

Wish list: Smith & Wesson all-steel Bodyguard with CT Lasergrips and front sight switched for a 24/7 Big Dot or tritium/fiberoptic.
Old December 23, 2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

You are asking for logic from non-shooting, non-hunting legislators who draft laws and desk jockeys in the regulatory agencies who may not be as familiar with weapons as they are with the breeding cycle of the Meadow Lark. Most regulators are not as familiar with pistols that would or could be used for hunting large game like the Desert Eagle or the 10MM Javelina. Laws always lag progress and overcoming legislative inertia takes a long time when you have to change closed prejudiced and ignorant minds who do not want to be confused with the facts.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 23, 2009, 04:25 PM   #4
wally626

Difference: Semi-autos tend to fling the brass about, the revolver keeps it. Don't know if that is there reasoning or not. I can see mandating minimum power levels for certain game, but other than cartridge retention there is not that much difference.
Old December 23, 2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Rayndeon

+1 on the Webley-Fosbery. Absolutely fantastic revolver. Suuuuper accurate.
Old December 23, 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
ShootingNut

In the Cheeshead State, you have to have 6" from firing pin to end of the
barrel, at least that is my understanding. Son is the hunter, I'm not.
So, most semi autos like mine, would not qualify here. My S&W 686 with a
4" barrel does, as again it's from the firing pin as measured.
Just my thinking and may be all wet, but I'm thinking that they don't
want hunters trying to "clean kill" game with a 4" barreled semi auto thinking
not accurate enough?
Again, I'm not into hunting, so BEAR with my thoughts.
SN
Old December 23, 2009, 09:12 PM   #7
OldShooter

I don't hunt so I know very little about this. I do know that in my state your hunting rifle cannot hold more than 5 rounds. Maybe that applies to hand guns as well. Some of mine hold 16+1, the smallest holds 7+1.
Old December 23, 2009, 09:17 PM   #8
knight0334

PA's law says "Manually Operated".

An auto reloads itself, where as all but two revolvers(one Webley design and the Mateba) reload by you manually cocking the hammer or pulling the trigger to rechamber another cartridge.
Old December 23, 2009, 09:52 PM   #9
cougar gt-e

Quote:
PA's law says "Manually Operated".
My pistols are "manually operated". I need to manually pull the trigger to make it "go boom" each and every time I want it to go boom.

Are we sure that this is not just a mis-interpretation of a law designed to keep fully automatic weapons from being used to hunt?

jb
Old December 23, 2009, 10:08 PM   #10
L_Killkenny

IIRC, PA doesn't allow semiauto rifles either. Only makes sense they wouldn't allow semi pistols either. Basically, they are trying to weed out the yahoo's that think slinging lead at a high rate at running critters is a good idea. I've been in the field when a Mini-14 and 30 round mag opened up on a running coyote in the same field. Not fun.

Do I think semi's should be banned from the field? No. But then again it should be legal for me to shoot back!

LK
Old December 23, 2009, 10:17 PM   #11
laytonj1

A quick search shows that no semi autos (handgun, rifle, or shotgun) are allowed for hunting.

Jim
Old December 24, 2009, 05:40 AM   #12
darkgael

Semi-auto shotguns are allowed for hunting.
I have been told that the rationale behind the "no semis" rule
is that they are less sporting.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; December 24, 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old December 24, 2009, 06:17 AM   #13
Glenn Dee

Another movie with the Webly-Fosby is "THE MALTESE FALCON" with Humphrey Bogart, Sindney Greenstreet, Peter Lorry, and Mary Astor.
Old December 24, 2009, 07:23 AM   #14
fyimo

I was surprised that in PA you can't use a semi auto rifle either as I've never lived in a state where you could hunt with one that has a 5 round or less magazine in it. So I'm not surprised that you can't hunt with a semi auto pistol even though most hunters that I know use revolvers.
Old December 24, 2009, 09:32 AM   #15
knight0334

Quote:
A quick search shows that no semi autos (handgun, rifle, or shotgun) are allowed for hunting.

Jim

PA allows semi-auto shotguns for birds and small game if plugged to 3rds.
Old December 24, 2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Webleymkv

Hunting equipment laws are often nonsensical and I've given up trying to figure out the rationale behind them. For example, here in Indiana, legal hadgun cartridges for deer hunting are based on bullet diameter and case length rather than energy. Because of this, a mild factory-loaded .44 Special or .45 Colt are legal cartridges, but 10mm Auto, .45 ACP, and .45 Auto-Rim are not. Likewise, a .357 Magnum with a 125grn bullet is legal but the ballistically identical 9x23 Winchester is not. The only semi-autos legal here are in magnum calibers like .50 AE or .45 Win Mag. Also, only rifles in pistol calibers are legal, but pistols in rifle calibers are OK.
Old December 24, 2009, 12:20 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, PA law also bans cartridges that are rimfire or are 25 caliber or under for big game hunting. The semi-auto ban was intended to eliminate "unsporting" rifles; at the time, I doubt anyone even considered a semi-auto handgun powerful enough for deer hunting.

So the upshot is that, unless the law has been changed, your .32 S&W breaktop revolver is legal for deer hunting, being sportsman-like and humane. (I suggest you get close, though.)

Jim
Old December 24, 2009, 01:18 PM   #18
TinyDee

Simple, just dummy legislators...
Old December 26, 2009, 08:19 PM   #19
knight0334

Quote:

IIRC, PA law also bans cartridges that are rimfire or are 25 caliber or under for big game hunting. The semi-auto ban was intended to eliminate "unsporting" rifles; at the time, I doubt anyone even considered a semi-auto handgun powerful enough for deer hunting.

So the upshot is that, unless the law has been changed, your .32 S&W breaktop revolver is legal for deer hunting, being sportsman-like and humane. (I suggest you get close, though.)

Jim

For big game in PA, any centerfire cartridge is legal, rimfires are of course illegal for big game. There are no caliber restrictions for big game, except on lotto draw elk which is .270cal or bigger.