The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2000, 05:04 PM   #26
Will Beararms

Everyone is entitled to their own choices. I for one will stay with a full service gun range or store who carries a broad selection of rifles,shotguns and pistols whether they are politically correct or not. I will reward those who strive to offer the best selection on the shelf.

Wal Mart started with placing pistol sales on a special order basis only. Next, they discontinued them altogether. Now they have selected to not stock Personal Defense Shotguns and that is fully within their perogative.

As for David Glass's reply, it was quickly put in the round file. I apologize for not keeping it. The proof is in the pudding. They no longer handle handguns and now they are not stocking personal defense shotguns. Do you think that they make a killing or have a high demand for every item stocked in the store? The answer is no but they do inventory a variety for one-stop shopping.

The point I am making is why aren't we supporting those businesses that do carry a full line of firearms and who are willing to put their rearends on the line so that you and I are able to purchase what we want when we want it. When we buy from a Wal Mart or an Academy, we are taking dollars away from the real Gun Shops and limiting our choices in the long run. I assure you, if all of the smaller chains and specialized gun stores go our of business, we will be in trouble when it comes time to buy a handgun, and assault-style rifle or a personal defense shotgun.

I ask the question again. If Wal Mart is concerned enough about gun vilolence and legal liability to stop selling handguns, why do they still sell the ammo? The least that they or K Mart can do is be consistent and have integrity versus cherry picking when it comes to priciples.

Most if not all of the small Gun Shops must make a profit to survive but it goes further than that. These entreprenuers sincerely care about sustaining the Second Amendment. If they have to make less of a profit on some guns to maintain a wide selection, they will. With Wal Mart, the bottom line is the bottom line.

I will confess to you that it goes further than just guns. When I was in the steel business, I saw firsthand how Wal Mart pays bills very slowly and how they treat their vendors. I saw how they would go into a manufacturer, like a lawn mower builder, agree on a set price and then once they had all the said supplier's production capacity, demand a significant reduction in price or leave the producer high and dry. Many of the companies I deal with now refuse to do business with Wal Mart on any terms.

I fully respect Leedesert's beliefs but as for me, I will stay with the smaller chains and smaller stores when any firearms, hunting or fishing purchases are made.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited January 12, 2000).]
Old January 12, 2000, 09:20 PM   #27
leedesert

Thanks Will,
I respect your opinion as well. I haven't yet nor do I ever intend to buy any guns at Wal-Mart. I just don't want to start throwing rocks at one of the few department stores that still sell guns. The Wal-Mart where I live carries everything from 12 gauge to .300 winmags in both synthetic and wood stocks. I understand you have deeper reasons for not siding with Wal-Mart. I would encourage all people to buy guns from a reputable dealer in town, not some super center.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Old January 12, 2000, 09:45 PM   #28
Will Beararms

Lee:

Forgive me for goig round and round on this one. We are on the same page and quite frankly, as much as I enjoy guns and shooting they pale in comparison to what will be.

I'll take streets of gold,flowing milk and honey and sunshine non-stop over all the guns in the world has to offer any day of the week. I consider hunting and shooting just a diversion while I'M still on this old earth.

It is sad to see what is happening to our freedom but it is all part of a larger plan.

[This message has been edited by Will Beararms (edited January 13, 2000).]
Old January 13, 2000, 07:39 AM   #29
leedesert

Amen.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

Old January 15, 2000, 04:58 PM   #30
FireForged

I bought the last Mossberg Persuader at my local Wal-Mart. The Clerk refused to sell me the Shotgun at first, stating that they were not allowed too. I asked for the Store Mgr and he quickly authorized the sale. The Mgr stated that they could sell what was in stock but would not offer the Persuader anymore. He stated that the board recently decided to only sell "hunting" weapons. I noticed that they still sold the Remington 700 in .223, I asked if that was a "hunting weapon" and all I got was "aaaaaaaaah, yeah".