The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 12, 2012, 07:13 PM   #51
pete2

You are an accident waiting to happen. There are guns designed to be safe for carry without safetys, D/A revolvers, D/A only semis, s/a revolvers, long guns with exposed hammers. The pump or auto shotgun, 1911 pistol and such should be carried with safety on or with an empty chamber. Even when I'm hunting the safety stays on til the target appears.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:17 AM   #52
haymaker

The idea that the most reliable safety is the "one between our ears" is a lot of crap. If the safety between our ears was so reliable why are we all required to have liability insurance on our cars. Our minds temporarily fail more often than most mechanical things. I like safeties on guns and I use them.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:42 PM   #53
jason_iowa

If the mind fails then it does not matter how many mechanical safeties you have present. If you trust that mechanical safety then the mind has already failed you. I won't carry a gun for self defense that has a manual safety. It's one more thing that can break or go wrong at the wrong time. I carry a sig 220 and often a revolver back up. No manual safety on either one. Neither has "gone off" with out me pulling the trigger. I keep my home defense shotgun and 45 carbines safeties on as they are not holstered and in my immediate possession. I don't need to draw and fire them as quickly as possible to protect my life.

The mechanical safety only provides the illusion of safety.
Old December 13, 2012, 05:12 PM   #54
haymaker

The Sig and revolvers have built in safeties via a long DA trigger pull. I'm talking about using a gun the way it was designed. The OP was asking about not using safeties even if the gun has one. Rifles, shotguns, SA semi-autos have manual safeties and they are meant to be used. We all suffer occaisional lapses of good judgement and I like the redundancy of mechanical safeties.

I've never seen a mechanical safety fail. I've seen a lot of people do dumb things in handling a firearm. If a person is afraid they will forget the safety is on in a critical moment they need more training.
Old December 15, 2012, 01:51 AM   #55
jason_iowa

I agree
Old December 15, 2012, 07:04 AM   #56
Tinner666

Quote:
I've never seen a mechanical safety fail. I've seen a lot of people do dumb things in handling a firearm. If a person is afraid they will forget the safety is on in a critical moment they need more training.
Things happen. The firing pin broke on my Win. 1200 shotgun. When I chambered a round with the safety engaged, it went off. Several of us were standing in a circle loading when it happened, If it hadn't been pointed at the ground, it would have been bad.

I've had many pistols with decockers and used them, but I never trusted them to not fail someday. Mechanical things do break.