The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Psychedelic Bang

Have you made a permanent switch: From Glock to M&P

Hi,

Has anybody done this? By switch I mean: You sold or gave away the Glock or the gun has been locked in a safe, stowed away somewhere and has not been used; with the exception of a few more tries out of curiosity.

Please state model Glock (19, 30, 17, etc) to M&P (9, 40, CORE, etc)
Please give reasoning: examples- ergonomics, nicer looking, departmental policy, etc

-- I think the M&P is nicer looking than the Glock. I'm quite fond of the rounded edges, nice lines of the M&P. I also think the M&P is more ergonomic than the Glock. Actually, I'm not a huge fan of shooting Glocks, and I find them top heavy.

However, if you know you need something in a pinch, that is going to go bang. Would you not rather have a Glock?

Thoughts?
Old August 20, 2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Quentin2

Nope. I'm staying put with my G22, G23 and G27. I like how they handle and perform. I do like S&W and have a few including the 5906 and 6906 but can't see myself moving to the M&P pistol.
Old August 21, 2013, 12:26 AM   #3

Is there any evidence to suggest the M&P is any less likely to go bang than a Glock?
Old August 21, 2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Is there any evidence to suggest the M&P is any less likely to go bang than a Glock?
Maybe that is Glock's absolutely brilliant marketing. I'm thinking, "you should be able to bet your life on an S&W Semi-Auto, shouldn't you?"

I have to call around the ranges and see who's got M&P 9s to rent. The more I think about it, I think, "this is a really nice looking semi auto, maybe the nicest looking plastic semi auto around right now. Also, I think the M&P's ergonomic have bested Glock."

I just want to hear peoples thoughts.. That's all...
Old August 21, 2013, 08:01 AM   #5
CUBAN REDNECK

I've looked over several M&P models, as well as XD's, and have acquired a general disdain for them. I don't like the feel of either and the triggers are abysmal. I do think that the Glock 19 is an exceptional pistol, but the Glock 22 not so much, so its a mixed bag. Shoot what you like and what feels good in your hands.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Psychedelic Bang

Apex tactical does, "a level 4 trigger job," for $250....

Does that void smiths warrantee?
Old August 21, 2013, 08:41 AM   #7
dean1818

Supposedly they are shipping new triggers on all M&Ps

They are great pistols

I love my Shield 40 and M&P45C

I have to say I get a bit tired of the absolute fanboy approach of some of the Glock-ites

If you listen to SOME.... every other gun is the crappage....

Glocks are great...... Just not my choice

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old August 21, 2013, 08:48 AM   #8
SteelChickenShooter

I went the other direction. Dropping the M&P in favor of Glock.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:07 AM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
I do think that the Glock 19 is an exceptional pistol
I don't get the attitude that one can be exceptional and the other abysmal, from either point of view. In reality they're very similar.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 21, 2013, 09:16 AM   #10
yaonttwo

Never. I'll keep my g19 thank you.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:40 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
Never. I'll keep my g19 thank you.
Those are strong words. Care to elaborate?

We all have a right to our preferences. I just notice that often when these questions come up Glock owners show up and scoff at the idea. Why? What is it about the Glock that is so much more preferable to you? I'm legitimately curious.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Skans

XD's and M&P's are just Glocks with some decoration and doo-dads on them. I paid $400 for my Glock 17 over 20 years ago. There's nothing that the XD or M&P do that my Glock won't do. My accuracy with my G17 is just fair. But, if I want accuracy and quick follow up shots, that's what my STI 2011 and Sig X-Five are for.

As for why I like the Glock over these other guns, well - it's proven. I have fired countless thousands of rounds through it, left it in my hot humid car for extended periods of time; left it in a damp un-airconditioned basement for 3 months, often do not clean it after shooting and basically toss it around like a red-headed stepchild (no offense to any redheads or stepchildren out there). On top of that, I've only ever used one magazine with it (even though I have 4). And, I mostly shoot Wolf steel cased 9mm in it. The gun looks and functions flawlessly. Other than adding those stupid marine cups (don't know why I did that, but no harm) I've never replaced any parts on the G17; no springs or anything.

I've read about some of these other Glock-like guns rusting in harsh elements - that bothers me (don't really know firsthand if its true or not.) I don't know if there is anything I could do (outside of abusing it) that could cause my Glock to rust or corrode.

For carry, I stick with my Ruger LC9 - good enough for self defense and easy for a dummy like me to safely carry.

Last edited by Skans; August 21, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:43 AM   #13
SteelChickenShooter

In my case the M&P had a front sight that would not stay in place and it also did not hit POA / POI as I wanted. It went back to the factory for correction, but came back still shooting too high. The Glocks I've had didn't give me this trouble. They've operated and hit where I want. It is true, that for target or competition purposes, I did not favor the rear sight on the G34. The M&P was supposed to be "competition ready". I just didn't find that to be the case and could not even use it as expected for an upcoming local match. It was intended for my young nephew to use shooting with me. He ended up bumming my CZ or one of the Glocks. I don't like to fuss over anything more than once. I expected S&W to correct two issues and they fixed only one.
I may be impatient or intolerant- perhaps a character flaw. The Glocks didn't test my character flaws.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Dragline45

As far as M&P's vs Glocks, I prefer everything about the M&P over the Glock except the trigger of the M&P which I think stinks. But that can be easily fixed.

I don't dislike Glock's as much as I dislike people praising them as the best thing since sliced bread. I can rattle off a number of pistols that perform just as well if not better than Glock's for the same price and in some cases cheaper. We live in 2013 where the issue of semi-auto's being inherently unreliable is just not an issue anymore. So Glock's being a reliable platform is not an advantage over other comparable pistols, because those pistol's preform just as well. Since the playing field has been leveled out as far as semi-auto's and their reliability, maybe it's time for Glock to show just a TINY bit of innovation and put something different out. They are just about the only company out there who have not put out a small single stack .380 or 9mm. Their idea of a new pistol is chopping the grip and barrel down and giving it a new model number.
Old August 21, 2013, 12:00 PM   #15
Southside830

Glock = Perfection. Is that fanboyish ? All joking aside I've had probably 15 semi autos and of those 15 I have 3 left. 2 are glocks . They're great.
Old August 21, 2013, 12:28 PM   #16
daddyo

I bought my first M&P 9MM about a year ago. Been a Glock man for a long time. Took the M&P to the range and was extremely pleased by its performance in my hands. Lots I like about it, little I didn't. Same goes for my Beretta PX4 Storm. I am convinced that if my Glocks were to be taken from me, either of the above mentions handguns would allow me to fight at just as high a level.

I won't be changing to the M&P but I won't be selling her off either.
Old August 21, 2013, 01:46 PM   #17
Sevens

YES! I gave up my Gen3 Glock 29 just three days after Smith & Wesson built an M&P Compact in 10mm Auto.

Errrrr, wait.
Ummm, yeah, that never happened.
Old August 21, 2013, 03:20 PM   #18
CUBAN REDNECK

The Glock 19 fits perfect in my hand and is a reliable shooter with a good trigger pull. Other Glocks such as the model 22 or model 26, I don't like as much and would never recommend them. Glocks in general are tough and go bang every time, which I think are good criteria for a pistol, though as I have alluded to, not all Glocks are the same.
Old August 21, 2013, 06:41 PM   #19
amd6547

I own two Glocks...a G26 and a G17. They are not going anywhere. Utterly reliable, and I am accurate with them. The G26, in particular, is a pistol I will never sell.
I love the simplicity. I can easily strip it completely apart using only a punch, parts drop in and are widely available and cheap.
Old August 21, 2013, 06:52 PM   #20
arch308

I wouldn't even consider trading any of my Glocks for a copy with add on un-necessary do-dads. One thing I absolutely love about my Glocks is their simple design. The M&Ps, XDs, and other clones took a very basic, simple design and needlessly complicated it.
All my Glocks (17,19,26,21) run perfectly and feel great in my hand. I say don't fix it if it ain't broke.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:10 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
I wouldn't even consider trading any of my Glocks for a copy with add on un-necessary do-dads. One thing I absolutely love about my Glocks is their simple design. The M&Ps, XDs, and other clones took a very basic, simple design and needlessly complicated it.
What un-necessary do-dads are you referring to on the M&Ps?
Old August 21, 2013, 07:14 PM   #22
allaroundhunter

Have you made a permanent switch: From Glock to M&P

I have an M&P9 that I love, but I don't shoot it too much anymore. Since I shoot a Glock 34 in competition, it makes sense for me to carry my Glock 19, so that is what I do.

However, my M&P does stay on my bedside each night.
Old August 21, 2013, 07:22 PM   #23
Dashunde

As much as I'd like to warm up to the Made In USA M&P I just cant get around the sticky rubbery grip feel.
The M&P has probably pushed me further into the Glock corner..
Old August 21, 2013, 07:24 PM   #24
WVsig

Neither......

Old August 21, 2013, 07:25 PM   #25
BrthrB

I prefer my Glocks...that being said, my agency switched to M&P 45's. Aside from the trigger pull, I am comfortable with the M & P!