The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2008, 07:35 PM   #1
kristop64089

Just bought a Ruger 10/22 Charger what should I do?

I can't make up my mind...

- Should I put a scope on?
- Why not a reddot?
- Is there something I am missing?

What would you do and why?

It is a heavy barreled 10/22 so accuracy may be decent....but to how far?
Old February 16, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2
tomh1426

Scope it, a red dot is great for picking up targets fast and up close work but I dont think thats what that gun is about.
Got any pics?
Dont forget to give us a range report, Im curious as to what this thing can do.
Old February 16, 2008, 07:57 PM   #3
wjkuleck

Quote:
Scope it, a red dot is great for picking up targets fast and up close work but I dont think thats what that gun is about.
The Ruger promo material shows a red dot . I put an original Bushnell HoloSight on mine; the funky look of the HS kinda matches the Shark stock on the Charger.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old February 16, 2008, 08:03 PM   #4
hoytinak

I'd go with a red dot myself...prolly one of these if I didn't want to spend the money on an Aimpoint. http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...dsReturned2=20
Old February 16, 2008, 08:21 PM   #5
kristop64089

Thanks Hoyt, you rock. I have been all over ebay looking for something...Believe it or not I have a NCstar on my AR for a year and countless rounds, and the thing still holds true.

The trijicon Bushnell really has my eye.

This is the worst descision I have had to make in a while.
Old February 16, 2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Six Shooter Steve

I went with the new Simmons Shot Dot, has 4 different reticles you can choose from. Natchez Shooting Supplies has them for 65 bucks or the standard 4 MOA dot for 45. Works out pretty well

Last edited by Six Shooter Steve; March 27, 2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old February 16, 2008, 08:28 PM   #7
hoytinak

Quote:
Thanks Hoyt, you rock.
I just wanna help you get it finished so I can get a range report. Trying to decide if I wanna get one of these Chargers myself.
Old February 16, 2008, 08:37 PM   #8
kristop64089

One drawback that I didn't realize was that it only comes with one Mag[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?

Oh well, there are enough of them around.
Old February 16, 2008, 08:45 PM   #9
tomh1426

I just ordered a Bushnell Trophy I hear they are pretty good for the $
I got the one with just one redical because that was the problem with the last red dot I got, every time Id change the redical the zero would go off.
It was a Cabelas Pine Ridge red dot, I didnt like it.
Plus the plain Bushnell Trophy is like $55 from Midwayusa
Id like to get some better rings for it thow.

Id still scope it!
Old February 16, 2008, 08:50 PM   #10
kristop64089

Well, I think I will scope it. I have reddots I can put on it if wanted.

So, here is my next dilema:
- Pistol or rifle scope
- Fixed or Variable?

I am going to push this to it's limits. I am sure the charger will not have the range of the 10/22. But I'd still guess I could punch the 9 ring, rested, at 100yds.
Old February 16, 2008, 08:54 PM   #11
Six Shooter Steve

Probably would want the eye relief of a pistol scope so ya could stretch out a bit.
Old February 17, 2008, 06:10 PM   #12
Pahoo

If you don't know by now, I am a big fan of Red-Dots and my applications are mostly for hunting. However, on this application, I would go to a scope as the use is mostly for bench or taget shooting and magnification is in order. Still waitng for mine and when I have it in hand, I have a very nice 2-7 power Burris that will work great on it. The Charger is going to really reach out and print some good groups, after a few modifications. Nothing keeping you from switching between a scope and red dot. Have gotten additional information on these little gems;

1) Trigger is the standard 10/22 factory trigger, so a trigger job is in order, along with some of the other standard upgrades.
2) Ruger will be issuing these in various stock and barrel configurations. Some pretty flashy stuff is coming out.
3) The stock is basically the front end of a Boyt rifle stock and rather wide at the forend. I plan to cut mine down a bit or contour.

Be safe !!!
Old February 18, 2008, 09:25 PM   #13
kristop64089

What should I do to the trigger?
Old February 18, 2008, 09:35 PM   #14
chris in va

Might want to go SHOOT it before coming up with all these accessories for it. You might like it as-is.
Old February 18, 2008, 09:41 PM   #15
hoytinak

Quote:
Might want to go SHOOT it before coming up with all these accessories for it. You might like it as-is.
That's no fun. There's been a couple times where I've actually bought accessories for firearms I didn't own yet, cause I thought I might pick one up sometime.

I've got all Power Custom internals in my 10/22 that I love, it's one of the best triggers I've ever felt on anything. Breaks clean at 1 1/2 lb. It better be nice though, it cost more the the 10/22 itself.
Old February 19, 2008, 08:03 AM   #16
kristop64089

Got toput some sort of optic on it, It comes Naked.

I'll do the trigger work later.
Old February 19, 2008, 12:18 PM   #17
Pahoo

Post tuning work would definitely be in order for me on this little gem. However, go slow till you meet or exceed your expectations, then stop and enjoy!!

1) Mount your scope or Red Dot, I suggested a pistol scope and take it to the range.
2) As stated by: chris in va, You should shoot it first, if for no other reason, to see where you are, how it shoots and consumate your relationship.
3) Get a scale/meter and check the triigger pull. Some 10/22 that I checked won't even register on my ultimate lower range scale, so go to my larger one.
4) determine where you want to be on the pull and 1-1/2 Lb. would be my lower limit.
5) As a point of reference, go to Midway and look up the 10/22 schematic and see what your options are. My first move would be the trigger. You can also buy a book on tuning.
6) On hunters, I have a spare standard hammer that I have honed and ground down to release sooner and smoother. Take care as you can take too much off. I then replace the existing hammer with the one I have worked down. Disassembly and assembly is relatively simple.

I'm sure if you do a search in this forum, you will find more information on what can be done and how as there are guys in here that have more experience. Take Care, Be Safe and have fun !!!
Old February 19, 2008, 12:40 PM   #18
ZeSpectre

I can't believe how much I want one of these!
Ruger Charger

30 rd mag and some serious plinkin' targets....wooo Hooo!

EDIT: forgot to write my original point... shoot it and then put a nice pistol scope on it and then shoot it some more!
(though I swear I'd hang a "frickin laser" off that puppy somewhere (you know, "shark" stock) <grin>.
Old February 19, 2008, 12:57 PM   #19
NINE

I'd suggest a bolt buffer & a VQ extractor.
Old February 19, 2008, 03:20 PM   #20
kristop64089

Just went to the shop, it should be in thursday. I am probably going to go with a NcStar scope. I have had one on my AR for a while, and not had one problem.

I think for this things intended purpose it will do. I will stretch the legs on that scope I'm sure. and If I do, I will put a leupold or the likes on.