The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 26, 2011, 12:42 PM   #1
Michael Ruggiero

Shipping Black powder muzzleloader

Is it legal to ship black powder rifle components separately in the mail or must the muzzleloader be shipped through a FFL dealer to dealer?
Old August 26, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Pahoo

One size fits most but not all !!

You have to check on your states regulations but in most cases, you can ship direct and not go through an FFL. I have noticed a few listings in GB, that are not consistant on whether or not an FFl is required. To date, I have never had to go through an FFL and direct ship to Iowa, Wisconsin and Colorado. ...

That includes C&B Revolvers. As far as components the only things in question, would be propellant
and primers. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 26, 2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Doyle

Pahoo has it right. Federal law makes no restriction at all unless the firearm can be converted to fire normal ammo (as in a T/C Encore or other convertable firearm). You'll have to check on the destination state to see if there are any state restrictions.
Old August 26, 2011, 01:31 PM   #4
drcook

However, just to make a distinction, and possibly sidetrack the thread just a little, but still within the realm of black powder firearms, it is illegal for us that don't have the proper licenses to ship black powder itself. So if we ordered powder, and were shipped the wrong stuff. We cannot return it. The shop needs to make us whole as a consumer and if we can't use the wrongly shipped black powder, simply turn it into fertilizer on the yard.
Old August 26, 2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Michael Ruggiero

black powder rifle shipping

Hey thanks guys! This is a great site. I just registered and have gotten some very useful info already!
Old August 26, 2011, 07:07 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

In addition, the USPS regulations allow anyone to send long guns through the mail. The requirement for FFL to use the mail applies only to handguns.
Old August 27, 2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Pahoo

We all need to be informed on our state's requirements.

Quote:
The requirement for FFL to use the mail applies only to handguns.
The OP is refering to an M/L LongGun and in most states, you do not need to go through an FFL. Now then, on M/L Hanguns; again, in most states you don't need to go through an FFL. As stated before, both have been shipped to me direct, either from a company or distributor. .

Be Safe !!!
Old August 27, 2011, 11:08 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
The OP is refering to an M/L LongGun and in most states, you do not need to go through an FFL. Now then, on M/L Hanguns; again, in most states you don't need to go through an FFL. As stated before, both have been shipped to me direct, either from a company or distributor.
The original question stipulated "mail." USPS regulations do not allow anyone other than an FFL (not even a C&R licensee) to send handguns through the mail. This is a different question from whether a transfer of a BP handgun requires an FFL and a 4473. I also once received a black powder revolver direct from a mail order house, but it was delivered by UPS, not the USPS.

The OP can send his rifle through the mail (although some postal clerks don't seem to know that). If it were a BP handgun, he could not.
Old August 27, 2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Pahoo

I can see clearly now !!

Quote:
The original question stipulated "mail." USPS regulations do not allow anyone other than an FFL (not even a C&R licensee) to send handguns through the mail.
Got it and have to admit that most came by UPS and FedX, direct to me. Some that came from private parties have come in by USPS but obvious they, as well as others, did not follow the regulation. We keep pretty good records of how we have recieved our M/L's. Thanks for the clarification. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 27, 2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Michael Ruggiero

shipping b/p muzzleloader

Thanks once again for the clarification. I think I've got it now!!!
Old August 29, 2011, 01:41 PM   #11
EOD Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca

The OP can send his rifle through the mail (although some postal clerks don't seem to know that). If it were a BP handgun, he could not.
Under USPS regulations, a black powder handgun qualifies as an antique firearm and is mailable without an FFL.
Old August 29, 2011, 03:26 PM   #12
Rifleman1776

Put in a box and ship via FedEx or UPS.
Regardless of what the regs say, do not try to mail via USPS. Logic, law or not if you get into it with a bureaucrat the arguing will be endless and you will walk out frustrated. You want to ship, not argue.
Old August 29, 2011, 04:12 PM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
Regardless of what the regs say, do not try to mail via USPS. Logic, law or not if you get into it with a bureaucrat the arguing will be endless and you will walk out frustrated.
YMMV. Some post offices and postal employees are more easygoing than others.

Also, although UPS Ground is usually cheaper than USPS Parcel Post, AFAIK UPS requires all firearms- BP or not- to be shipped through a hub. Drop boxes, On-Call Pickup, and UPS Stores are not allowed. If the shipper lives in a rural area, the USPS may offer a major advantage- small-town convenience. The travel time and gas money required to reach a UPS hub may offset the other advantages.