The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 7, 2001, 11:22 AM   #1
zauer

eye and ear protection while hunting?

Hi Folks,

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question, but I am new to hunting. I'm excited to announce that I'll be going on my first duck hunt later on this month. That being said, are eye and ear protection needed while duck hunting?

FYI, I'm using a 12ga 870 from a duck blind...thanks in advance!

Joe
Old November 7, 2001, 01:18 PM   #2
UK2TX

Hello zauer,

I would recommend Silencio Super Sound Baffler FUN-85 ear plugs as they allow you to hear and protect at the same time for about $4.

http://www.silencio.com/plugs.html

and always wear eye protection, you will be amazed by the amount of shot that lands on you when hunting in company.

Regards,

UK2TX
Old November 7, 2001, 08:26 PM   #3
Dave R

I agee. Eye protection always. Clear/amber sunglasses if nothing else.

Ear protection...If I had my druthers I would wear electronic muffs that amplify quiet sounds bu muffle blasts. Those run over $100, though, so may not be practical if on a budget.

I might skip hearing protection if I was hunting where sound was critical, and only one shot was likely--deer huting, for example.

But duck hunting...hearing them is not so critical...there will be lots of 12ga. blasts near you...I would definitely wear protection.
Old November 8, 2001, 01:03 AM   #4
Lycanthrope

I find wearing a foam ear plug in the left ear (I'm right handed) helps keep ringing sound away and allows me to hear pretty well despite some loss in determining where soumds are originating.
Old November 8, 2001, 08:11 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Eye protection out in the sticks is just a good idea, not just for shooting either. I have caught branches across the face before I ever saw them and sunglasses were all that kept branches and thorns out of my eyes.

Regardless of what anyone says, if you are shooting a gun, hearing protecting is necessary. Hearing damage is cumulative, so the four shots you make this weekend may not do much damage, but they will do damage and it isn't going to heal.

I am not sure of the question of necessity, however. If you need eye and ear protection at the range, why would you not need it while hunting?
Old November 8, 2001, 07:54 PM   #6
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I don't wear hearing protection when deer/elk hunting - too many noises that you do need to pick up & key in on. Figure anyway that's only going to be 1-2 shots & nobody else around to add to it.

For ducks/geese/doves, etc. I sure would.

Far as glasses go, I don't know how many times wearing glasses has saved an eye - either from a branch-slap, dog paw, or even a shot bird falling on a head ...

Best advise is = if you still want to see after your hunt = wear shooting glasses.
Old November 8, 2001, 09:48 PM   #7
Legionnaire

I'm in total agreement with the comments on eye protection. I wear corrective lenses at this point, but would insiste on eye protection even if I didn't. I, too, have had the "branch in the face" experience, a couple of times roughly enough to draw blood; hate to think of what would have happened had I not had glasses on.

WRT hearing protection, I typically DON'T wear hearing protection when hunting with long guns, although if I were out shotgunning and expected to shoot a lot, I would. I ALWAYS wear Peltor Tac 7s when handgun hunting. These are the electronic muffs that let you hear, but cut out when the gun fires. Added benefit is that they do a great job of keeping your ears warm!